Rooting My Phone

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You cant backup the stock rom without being rooted. You CAN however, use a RUU or PC36IMG to restore the stock rom if something happens.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
If your talking about a backup like nandroid then no. To do a nandroid backup you need to have a recovery installed and to install a recovery you need to be rooted. Sorry

You can(and should) back up all of your contacts with Gmail. All of your "paid apps" will still be in your market list. You'll just have to remember what free apps you had and redownload them.

Sorry but with out root that's about all you can back up.

There is an app that dose a temporary root. I can't remember what its called or if its here or over at XDA. But you may be able to use that app to do a temporary root and use apps like "Titanium Backup"[for apps & data], "My Backup Root"[for SMS, phonelogs and apps& data to]. I'm not 100% sure those will work but its worth a shot.

Hope that can be of some help to you.

Sent from my MIUI havin, Gingerbread Throwing EVO

cardude10

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I know after I root I need rom manager to flash are there any free ones out there.

Is there any GB ROM with vanilla OS like Nexus S or no ?. Reading the CM7 threads it seems some issues are still being worked out

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I know after I root I need rom manager to flash are there any free ones out there.

Is there any GB ROM with vanilla OS like Nexus S or no ?. Reading the CM7 threads it seems some issues are still being worked out

You don't NEED to have ROM Manager. It pretty much just automates the process of flashing the ROM through recovery. You can also do this manually, it's very easy.

If you want Gingerbread, CM7 is probably the best and most stable and definitely has the most support. Yes, there are bugs but there isn't a single ROM out there without any bugs. That's just part of development.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

m3meems

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok I'm new at this and I just rooted my phone last night...I have the Sprint Lover's ROM, but I'm trying to figure out how to make a nandroid?? I think I have a recovery but I'm not sure!

And one more question...is titanium backup enough or is a nandroid necessary?

Last edited:

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok I'm new at this and I just rooted my phone last night...I have the Sprint Lover's ROM, but I'm trying to figure out how to make a nandroid?? I think I have a recovery but I'm not sure!

Press your power button, choose reboot, then pick Recovery. Your phone will automatically reboot into Recovery.

Once in Recovery, look for Backup/Restore, I believe it may be in Others or something along those lines, then perform a backup, it takes a few minutes, is hard the first time, then is so simple after the 2nd, trust me!

Reactions: m3meems

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site
FYI, Nandroid is needed, Titanium is for your choices within the ROM. I say Nand is needed since you never go what could go wrong when installing a new ROM, just patience and read a lot, always.

m3meems

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help! One more question...so say something does go wrong, how would I access recovery to restore the system?

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help! One more question...so say something does go wrong, how would I access recovery to restore the system?

Same steps, but instead choose Restore Backup, something along those lines. I'm into CM7 now and had to go back to Sprint Lover's in order to clear my GPS, I restored it through Nand and now I'm perfect on CM7. Good thing I Nand my Sense ROM just in case for these types of issues!

cardude10

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Instructions posted on this link [GUIDE] Rooting 3.7/Hboot2.02+ w/screen shots (1/27/2011) automatically flashes the phone to sprint lovers rom. Are there any steps for CM7 or should I flash to sprint lovers then upgrade to cm7.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You can download the CM7 ROM in place of the Sprint Lovers and make sure it is on your SD card and named PC36IMG.zip as in step 21 of the instructions.

It really is easy to flash a new ROM once you have the custom recovery (Amon RA in this case).

You may want to start at Sprint Lovers and try it out for a bit, you can always make a nandroid of it and flash CM7 later.

Lastly, if you decide to go straight to CM7, it doesn't come with any of the Google apps pre-installed. You have to flash the Gapps separately if you want Gmail, Maps, Android Market. . . Go to the bottom of the page below for that:

Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
How did you fixed the GPS issues in cm7, I read its quite a pain to fix it.

I don't know. I don't run CM7, the only AOSP ROM I run occasionally is CM6.1.2

I ran Sprint Lovers when I first rooted and it was decent. Then I wanted a little more, so I switched to Calkulin's EViO 2 ROM. I have found that I like Sense a bit better than vanilla Froyo.

If you need GPS, then it would be easier for you to flash a Sense ROM or a stable release like CM6.1.2

cardude10

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
The instructions posted worked with no issues now I am tesing the rom to see of everything works . How do I make sure that all the radio are on latest version before I decide to flash a different rom.

I will assume that this time just replace the zip file on my sd card with the rom I want to flash and just update ?.

Last edited:

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The instructions posted worked with no issues now I am tesing the rom to see of everything works . How do I make sure that all the radio are on latest version before I decide to flash a different rom.

I will assume that this time just replace the zip file on my sd card with the rom I want to flash and just update ?.

Assuming that you are on the Sprint Lovers ROM, you can check the version against the version in the Sprint Lovers thread on XDA (I Googled it, but apparently XDA is down right now) and the latest version includes the radio updates.

To flash a different ROM it is pretty easy, just put the zip for the ROM you want to flash on your SD card (it doesn't have to be named PC36IMG.zip and it can be in any folder). Then, reboot into recovery, wipe all, then select "Flash from zip." Navigate using the volume keys and power keys to select the folder and zip file for the new ROM, select it, then confirm the flash.

cardude10

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
After rooting I have these two zip files on my sd card pc36img and pc36img-eng . Which one of these are safe to delete. I am guessing pc36img is sprint lovers rom !!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca