Swapped back to EVO, no 3G icon

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
So I wanted to try out the Epic 4G to see how I liked it and was able to borrow one for a test drive. After about 2-3 days I wanted to go back to my EVO and when I did the swap online I noticed that my 3G icon never appeared in my status bar. I'm able to make calls but when I go into my settings it says that I'm disconnected to the mobile network. Only WiFi and 4G work.

I'm rooted and running the DESTROYER V2 ROM (CM7 RC2). I did the web chat and I was asked to go into Settings > System updates but I don't have that option (or can't find it) in my settings menu. After Sprint did their thing on their end and the 3G icon still didn't show, I was advised to bring it into a Sprint store. I'm assuming I'm going to have to revert back to stock before I bring it in? I was hoping to avoid that.

Anyone have any suggestions? Would I be able to flash a stock ROM or do I have to follow the guide to revert back to stock?

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
So I wanted to try out the Epic 4G to see how I liked it and was able to borrow one for a test drive. After about 2-3 days I wanted to go back to my EVO and when I did the swap online I noticed that my 3G icon never appeared in my status bar. I'm able to make calls but when I go into my settings it says that I'm disconnected to the mobile network. Only WiFi and 4G work.

I'm rooted and running the DESTROYER V2 ROM (CM7 RC2). I did the web chat and I was asked to go into Settings > System updates but I don't have that option (or can't find it) in my settings menu. After Sprint did their thing on their end and the 3G icon still didn't show, I was advised to bring it into a Sprint store. I'm assuming I'm going to have to revert back to stock before I bring it in? I was hoping to avoid that.

Anyone have any suggestions? Would I be able to flash a stock ROM or do I have to follow the guide to revert back to stock?

I had this happen once. Nandroid. Completely wipe and flash a sense Rom. Wait for your 3G icon to pop up. Do some surfing and then flash back. That's what I did last time. Only difference is I did a fresh install of my CM7 rom.

Reactions: VDub2174

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I had this happen once. Nandroid. Completely wipe and flash a sense Rom. Wait for your 3G icon to pop up. Do some surfing and then flash back. That's what I did last time. Only difference is I did a fresh install of my CM7 rom.

OK, so when I get home I'll flash a sense ROM and pray that it works for me. Will any sense ROM do?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Alrighty, I'm going to try to bring myself down from my panic state and do that when I get home.

swgator13

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar issue...

I had my Evo replaced a few days ago cause I broke my original and after I rooted and flashed Sprint Lover's ROM using this method I had very slow data speeds but I still had the "3G" at the top.

I later flashed MIUI and noticed I was no longer getting 3G and it had 1x in its place (I assume this is Edge). I tried flashing over to Mikfroyo but I had the same 1x issue. I decided I'd flash back to Sprint Lover's cause at least there I'd have 3G...or so I thought.

Apparently most Sense Roms will say "3G" even when it is running on "1x" or Edge. This is why I had super slow internet speeds (I wasn't even breaking 100kb/s according to Speed Test app).

So apparently when I first rooted and flashed Sprint Lover's ROM that is when I lost 3G. I have since fixed my problem by doing the following that I found on a Cyanogenmod Forum:

1. Download MSL Reader from Android Market, run it and write down results.
2. Dial "##3282#" in your phone dial pad
3. Edit Mode
4. Enter MSL
5. EVDO
6. Preferred Mode
7. Set it to Automatic
8. Press Menu and commit modifications
9. Let it reboot

Doing the above fixed my lack of 3G problem. I have since flashed MIUI and it is now showing "3G".

Reactions: VDub2174

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
@swgator13 Thanks for the help as well. If flashing a Sense ROM didn't work then I would have tried your steps :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2