Taking 2nd attempt at rooting....wish me luck

azkevman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I am finally ready to take my second stab at rooting and a custom ROM after being scared away from a 1st attempt that ended in a bricked EVO.

If I follow the stickied thread above will I be good to go?

okwatanzinwan

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
There r like 10000 tutorials for the one click root how did u brick it? I've had my incredible in recovery mode for hrs at a time flashing from rom to Rom and never had an issue. I guess u should make sure u follow instructions EXACTLY. IF u plan on going to Cyanogen after root make sire u wipe data and cache or there is a good chance you'll get stuck in a boot loop. Just back everything up before u wipe

sent from my DrOiD InCreDible

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes following directions is key.
I don't know how you bricked lol.

Maybe you didn't have a custom recovery. You need one before you flash a rom.

I rooted my first phone last month

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

azkevman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty sure it was a hardware failure that just coincidently occurred shortly after I was rooted and running on a custom ROM. I had Cyanogen running and very well for about a 1/2 day before it crashed. I had allot of good feedback and help on here to narrow it down to a hardware failure. luckily i was barely able to flash back to a stock ROM and get it swapped out by Sprint.

But it was enough to scare me away from rooting for a while....

azkevman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
OK, I am rooted and up and running with Sprint Lovers Rom. I definitely want to get back to Cyanogen to try that out. If I understand correctly, I should download ROM Manager and make a NAND backup (or use titanium backup), then wipe data and cache (i do this via bootloader correct? or can it be done via ROM manager, then flash Cyanogen via ROM manager....is that correct???

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
make a nandroid backup AND a titanium backup (Titanium for your apps mostly) and you NAND backup and wipe data/cache from your custom recovery (Clockwork MOD if your gonna use ROM manager)

azkevman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
OK from ClockworkMod Recovery I performed a backup. I assume this was a full NAND backup?
Now in order to wipe the data and cache and then flash Cyanogen, do I have these steps right:
1. Reboot
2. In ROM Manager download Cyanogen ROM
3. Reboot to Recovery
4. Wipe Data
5. Wipe Cache
6. Install Cyanogen zip from sdcard
7. Reboot

????missing anything, is this right????

what is the option to wipe dalvik cache?

azkevman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh...I see that once the ROM has been downloaded via ROM Manager it gives you the option to wipe data and cache as part of the installation process...very nice

Telperion

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Others have recommended using Amon_RA instead of Clockworkmod and doing everything directly in Recovery instead, bypassing ROM Manager. I made the switch and things have been much smoother for me. Plus, the terms everyone uses refer to the names in Ra, not Clockworkmod.

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Others have recommended using Amon_RA instead of Clockworkmod and doing everything directly in Recovery instead, bypassing ROM Manager. I made the switch and things have been much smoother for me. Plus, the terms everyone uses refer to the names in Ra, not Clockworkmod.

i agree with telperion ^^ but if your just starting out, Clockworkmod is fine....once you get comfortable with nandroid backups/restores, flashing ROMs, etc. then you can switch on over to Amon_RA

azkevman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

i agree with telperion ^^ but if your just starting out, Clockworkmod is fine....once you get comfortable with nandroid backups/restores, flashing ROMs, etc. then you can switch on over to Amon_RA

Thanks guys, I will look into Amon_RA. Is it a pretty easy switch from clockworkmod to amon_ra?

azkevman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
yea its pretty simple....just follow these instructions. You could use ROM Manager to d/l Amon_RA too. I used adb to get it.

Excellent. Thanks again for all the help.
I am now running CM7 RC4 and loving it.
I gave a test run to CM6.2, Myn's Warm 2.2, and now CM7 and think I will stick with this one as my daily driver for a while.

So glad my rooting/flashing custom rom has gone as expected this time around.
Once again AC forums have been indispensable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084