need help flashing ROM

mikiemike

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
sorry if this is posted elsewhere, i picked up a rooted EVO 4G from a friend :) He wasn't the one who rooted it, he had it done by some one off craigs list. the home screen has PPCG on it (i'm assuming PPC Geeks) I would like to flash the new CM7 from Cyanogen. do i have to re-root with a certain method to facillitate this? do i need to un-root the phone first?

could somebody point me to a walk through or just plain explain it to me like a third grader? i am new to this but am pretty capable. i just need a step by step.

thanks to all the knowledgable people on AC,

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
You do not have to un-root or re-root to change roms. Just put CM7 on the sd card. Go into recovery. Your rom might have an option for this. Hold down the power button, push reboot and it should have that option. If not it will will boot (of course :)) If that happens then go to your bootloader. Hold down the volume down & power until you get a white screen with androids on skateboards. Click into recovery.

Now you should have a nandroid (backup), if not then you should do one. Just look for it. Its in open view and click backup.

Once done, clear data, cache, and dalvik.

Once done install rom from sd and find the rom and use the power button to click on it.

If you still need help then here is a video showing the whole thing in action.

YouTube - How to flash a ROM and kernel on your HTC Evo 4G

Reactions: mikiemike

mikiemike

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
i flashed the ROM succesfuly but a couple of issues popped up afterwards. the number dialed for voice mail is wrong, it dials *83 or 86, and the vm's do not download to the phone anymore i just get an sms from android telling me that I have a vm and gives a number to dial to listen to it. one more thing, how do you recover the apps that you had previously to the new rom? I backed up before I did this so they are all still there, when the vm didn't work i recovered back to the rom I started with and everything it here.

mikiemike

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
thanks, also is there different roms out there that actually support 4G? I'm paying for it I would like to use it.... and can you remove the stock messaging to use a different one from the market so that you dont get notifications from both? just confused, thanks for the help.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Its not as bad as it might seem. :)

About the ROMs, any ROM built from the stock version should have Sprint's VVM working + 4G.

Some would be Myns, Mikfroyo, or Vaelpak. Myns and Mikfroyo keep Sense built in but Vaelpak has alot of Sense removed.

Here is an excellent page from igotsanevo4g: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...hacks/61188-evo-rom-kernel-goodies-bible.html . He has those 3 plus a few others that are popular with some screen shots of the rom.

CM7 does have 4G working but has you notice you get a text when you get a voicemail. I think ppl were able to get Sprint's VVM to work. Its been awhile since I have seen it post and there is A LOT of pages to go thru. I think they just used Titanium Backup and saved the VVM and then installed app + data. Like I said its been awhile since I seen someone do that. Most everyone just uses Google voice.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I can't remember but didn't some say they could get Sprint's vvm without the text by using that method?

Edit Sorry didn't read your post correctly. Getting my 2yr old lunch and trying to read isn't going to good lol :)

Not sure. I do hate those annoying text though. Maybe that can be a new thread.

mikiemike

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
right i was looking over at Cyanogen and there was a page with a link to the sprint vvm.apk, I'll post it here in a few. however I think that you can black list the number that the sms comes in on to stop getting it but its kindof like running a f.w. i think and could drain the battery more. there also may be a option when calling the number to stop receiving the sms.