Return evo to stock?

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
hey guys, i just picked up a used evo from a friend and it is rooted and has warm 2.2 on it ... it runs kinda slow and i wanna return it to completly stock.. what is the best and easiers way to do this.. im kinda new to doing all this.. i read the sticky on doing the RUU with htc sync, but i was having some issues .... i think i need to use a data cable instead of a the cable from the sprint quick charger i used.. it didnt seem like it was recognizing the device... i thought about stoping by sprint and getting them to do it.. it has extremely slow quadrant scores, around 1000... seem really laggy loading some stuff

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
How stock do you want to go? Do you want to give up root or do you want to try a different ROM to see if you like it better?

Also, have you tried a Factory data reset?

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
hey guys, i just picked up a used evo from a friend and it is rooted and has warm 2.2 on it ... it runs kinda slow and i wanna return it to completly stock.. what is the best and easiers way to do this.. im kinda new to doing all this.. i read the sticky on doing the RUU with htc sync, but i was having some issues .... i think i need to use a data cable instead of a the cable from the sprint quick charger i used.. it didnt seem like it was recognizing the device... i thought about stoping by sprint and getting them to do it.. it has extremely slow quadrant scores, around 1000... seem really laggy loading some stuff

Try this first. Get Adfree from the market. Hit "download host name". That should help end the lag.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Try this first. Get Adfree from the market. Hit "download host name". That should help end the lag.

That's a good suggestion to try first.

If you are still unhappy with your rooted phone and the RUU method for returning to stock isn't working for you, go here:
Index of /evo/stock/RUU/

And download "PC36IMG_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.11.19_NV_1.90_release_161482_signed.zip"

Verify the MD5 sum of the downloaded zip with this file:
"PC36IMG_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.11.19_NV_1.90_release_161482_signed.zip.md5sum.txt" from the same site.

Rename this to PC36IMG.zip and put it on the root of your SD card. Then use HBoot to flash it (instructions below).

Power off the phone.

Power On while holding Vol Down until you get the screen with the 3 skateboarding androids.

It will do a check of the PC36IMG.zip file and ask if you want to update. Follow the steps to confirm it and it will load the stock current version ROM on your phone.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I wanna go bone stock out of the box fresh... wipe everything that has been done to it off

Then follow my instructions just above this post of yours.

The one thing that won't be *completely* stock using this method is that your HBoot should still show S-OFF, which means that the signature verification is off and you will be able to load a ROM in the future. Note, the HBoot setting is not anything you will notice running the stock ROM. It is just a software switch in the bootloader that affects a setting that verifies an HTC signature in the ROM before it is flashed. I would suggest leaving this as-is.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
ok thanks... one more thing.. if i take it in under warrenty will it show as rooted or anything

No, when you flash that zip file, your phone will be running the stock HTC Sense ROM that it shipped with (or was installed from the OTA update). The ROM will be completely stock and there will be no Superuser app and no root privileges.

If you needed to bring the phone in to have a screen replaced or something, there will be no sign of it being rooted.

If there is something that requires the Sprint tech to have to go into recovery, then they could notice the S-OFF message at the top of the screen, but I would say that is unlikely.

If you do want to turn the signature verification on (S-ON) like stock. Have a read of this page: public:forever [RootWiki]

Once you turn S-ON, you can still re-flash the stock ROM in recovery (that zip file), but you will be unable to flash any of the other ROMs that are available. If you do that your phone will appear to be completely stock and non-rooted. All traces of being rooted will be removed.

If you decide to root in the future, you will have to go through the process yourself, but it is up to you as to if you think this is necessary. There is a good AC article talking about rooting and that it is not for everyone. I'm a pretty big computer geek (my laptop is partitioned to be a dual boot XP / Vista machine on the primary drive and I have a modular drive that boots to Ubuntu Linux), and I waited quite a while to root my phone. It just wasn't important to me for a while.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
thanks for all your help, should i have done something to wipe everything before i flashed? i see where alot of people say to wipe cache etc before flashing a rom.. it seem faster.. but quadrant scores vary a decent bit and still dont run like the stock evo i had before... i get around 1000, if i run it a few times ive gotten 1200ish most of the time though its lower than what a stock evo is on the graph.... my old stock evo would get 1300's on quadrant , i think 300 is a big diff to have...

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if that lower Quadrant score is due to the extra Sprint bloat that was added to the phone on that latest OTA that you now have installed.

As long as the phone works for you and you don't feel that it is taking too long to do things, I wouldn't worry about a lower Quadrant score.

kanaka#AC

May 2, 2011
Visit site
@illwood,

I have followed the instructions to a T and everything was wiped. However, there were a few apps like the game "Nova" that did not get put back on. I could really care less about that game, but unfortunately, the wipe must have affected the driver for the secondary camera because now I can't switch to it at all. Also, swype is gone. I have performed all the system updates, but nothing seems to help these issues. Any advice is appreciated!

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi, welcome to Android Central.

Let me see if I can be of help. I'm going to need a few questions answered to get started.

1. I am assuming that you were rooted before and want to return to stock, is this correct?
2. What hardware version is your EVO? 0002, 0003, 0004?
3. Why did you want to go to stock, did you buy a used rooted phone or are you looking to bring it in for repair or just want the stock user experience?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power