1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    ROM
    CougarCougar's CM 7.2

Default Soon to be new Evo owner..

Hi all,

As the topic said, I'll have an evo soon and as soon as it's activated I'll be rooting it and I'm in the market for a ROM. I've dabbled with an Optimus S before, and there's thankfully not a lot to choose from. I say that cause I would probably drive myself crazy like I do with linux distros downloading them all and trying them out...

I know of CM7 and MIUI roms, and I've heard of myrn's warm (whatever that means), and they look good, but I am looking for one that is snappy, has gingerbread (preferred) and still uses sense, but that isn't a must...Oh, and since 4G isn't huge in my area, it's not a must have either, although I think that has been fixed? Is it more common than not now?

What would you recommend? I have looked through the thread that had a searchable database, but it was a little messy (sorry whoever posted that) for my tastes...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using

CM7 and Kings Unleashed seem to be pretty popular Gingerbread ROMs.

MIUI is also popular, but a different user experience.

Finally, a Sense based Gingerbread ROMs are only recently starting to hit, so that's going to be harder to find an opinion of them.

For a Froyo (2.2) ROM, I really like Calkulin's EViO 2 ROM (link in signature) and I have been using CM7 for a few days now and plan on sticking with it for a Gingerbread ROM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4,501 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

Quote Originally Posted by illwood View Post
    CM7 and Kings Unleashed seem to be pretty popular Gingerbread ROMs.
    I second the above statement.

I've used King's UNleashed before and it was great!! The version I used had CM parts cooked into the ROM with some tweaks made by the developer.

I now use CM7 (haven't upodated to the latest yet) with the First Blood theme flashed on top of it.

Both ROMs have Gingerbread but aren't Sense based. You may be able to download a theme for ADW or LauncherPro to give you a Sense-like experience.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

ROM
    Team Venom v1.2

Myns Warm is a great sence based rom. Buy its Froyo. I have yet to see a GB sense based rom.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

I've tried a bunch of ROM, and my 2 favorite are CM7 and Myn's Warm 2.2. I like the fact that CM7 gives me the best battery(with Tiamat kernal) and it's got a super fast browser. What I don't like about it is the front facing cam is buggy when used with video chat and the wifi tether doesn't work without a fix.

Myn is nice cause it has a clean look and everything works without any issues.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    ROM
    CougarCougar's CM 7.2

Thanks for the feedback all...Looks like I'll be a flashing fool (ROMs that is) when I get the Evo in a couple days

*UPDATE*

I've been trolling XDA forums for a while today, and I think the one I'll try out first is because I love the UI screenshots that are in the thread
    Last edited by TheTolsonator; 05-02-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Quote Originally Posted by TheTolsonator View Post
    Thanks for the feedback all...Looks like I'll be a flashing fool (ROMs that is) when I get the Evo in a couple days

*UPDATE*

I've been trolling XDA forums for a while today, and I think the one I'll try out first is because I love the UI screenshots that are in the thread
    Just hope that you don't get a Nova display, otherwise your brightness will be stuck at 100%.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    ROM
    CougarCougar's CM 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    Just hope that you don't get a Nova display, otherwise your brightness will be stuck at 100%.
    Aw crap, not this again. My optimus I had a while ago had the same kind of "issue" with the lcd...how can I tell? The evo I'm getting from my friend is an older one, near launch I think

ROM
    CM10 Nightlies/EOS3

Quote Originally Posted by TheTolsonator View Post
    Aw crap, not this again. My optimus I had a while ago had the same kind of "issue" with the lcd...how can I tell? The evo I'm getting from my friend is an older one, near launch I think

Go to "Settings">"About Phone">"Hardware Information". At the top you'll see a number starting with three zeros; If you have HW version 0002 or 0004, I believe you are fine. I have 0003, and my brightness was stuck at 100%.
    Its a shame too-the Sprint GB leak is damn near flawless(not much different to look at, however, VERY smooth!)
    Good luck, and welcome to AC!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    ROM
    CougarCougar's CM 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by I_LeftMyHeart@Crackberry.com View Post
    Go to "Settings">"About Phone">"Hardware Information". At the top you'll see a number starting with three zeros; If you have HW version 0002 or 0004, I believe you are fine. I have 0003, and my brightness was stuck at 100%.
    Its a shame too-the Sprint GB leak is damn near flawless(not much different to look at, however, VERY smooth!)
    Good luck, and welcome to AC!
    I've been looking around for the leaked GB rom, no luck. From what I heard it was just a system dump, no actual rom :/

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

No its an actually rom, Thats one based off of it, that, IMO is way better than stock

To tell if you have a nova display, put the power toggle widget on your homescreen, and toggle the brightness. If it "snaps" to the next brightness, its a epson display. If it dims or transitions smoothly, its a nova.

There is no difference between the 2, other than the above and a few different drivers between the two, if you wanted to be technical.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    ROM
    CougarCougar's CM 7.2

No its an actually rom, Thats one based off of it, that, IMO is way better than stock

To tell if you have a nova display, put the power toggle widget on your homescreen, and toggle the brightness. If it "snaps" to the next brightness, its a Epson display. If it dims or transitions smoothly, its a nova.

There is no difference between the 2, other than the above and a few different drivers between the two, if you wanted to be technical.
    From what I've read, the Nova displays are very power efficient vs normal displays...I came across the Nova display efficiency on a hands on for the LG Optimus Black...Same thing? Or a coincidence?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Nope, not the same thing at all. Our nova stands for Novatech, a company that makes LCD screens. The LG nova is the slogan for a new display technology
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    ROM
    CougarCougar's CM 7.2

Nope, not the same thing at all. Our nova stands for Novatech, a company that makes LCD screens. The LG nova is the slogan for a new display technology
    Bummer :/

Getting super antsy to get my Evo...friend of mine is moving to Verizon and I'm waiting on the port of his number to go through

ROM
    Stock for now.

I vote Fresh Rom 4 latest update as top rom for day-to-day use.

Best battery life you are going to get.

If you want maximum performance go CM7, but you'll lose on battery life out of the box. (Plenty of ways to help it, but involves installing and tweaking far more than I care to bother with.)

I would wait for the Evo 3D that will be coming out soon. Yeah it's gimmicky but the hardware is outstanding.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    ROM
    CougarCougar's CM 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by coopster81 View Post
    I would wait for the Evo 3D that will be coming out soon. Yeah it's gimmicky but the hardware is outstanding.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    I would normally agree to wait, but I'm not due for an upgrade until November, and with phones on the market going for $300+, I can't really afford that. This phone is coming with a ton of extras, from a good friend of mine, and is a huge upgrade from my Palm Pre. Maybe in November I'll upgrade to a 3D or something else, but I'm dying for something new....now.

Its killing me that my friend has to wait for his number port to be completed before he sends it to me, but I'm still excited as all get out :P