Remap Volume Button As Shutter Button For Camera(Root Required) N00b Proof

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
After a long experimenting with my phone i finally figured out how to remap my volume keys as shutter buttons for my evo.

IF YOU SCREW YOUR PHONE UP ITS ALL YOUR OWN FAULT DO NOT BLAME ME IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG

Step 2.
Back up "qwerty.kl" & "supersonic-keypad.kl"in a safe place.

Step 3.
highlight and hold on "qwerty.kl" untill the options pop up then select "Open in Text Editor"

Step 4.
Scroll down to "key 115" and change "VOLUME_UP" to "CAMERA" and "WAKE" to "WAKE_DROPPED" & Then go to "key 114" and change "VOLUME_DOWN" to "CAMERA" and "WAKE" to "WAKE_DROPPED"

***MAKE SURE THE "C" LINES UP WITH THE FIRST LETTER OF THE OTHER BUTTONS AND "WAKE" ALSO LINES UP WITH THE OTHER "WAKE"***

Then "Save & Exit"

Step 5.
highlight and hold on "supersonic-keypad.kl" untill the options pop up then select "Open in Text Editor"

Step 6.

Scroll down to both "key 115" and change Both "VOLUME_UP" to "CAMERA" and "WAKE" to "WAKE_DROPPED" & Then go to BOTH "key 114" and change BOTH "VOLUME_DOWN" to "CAMERA" and "WAKE" to "WAKE_DROPPED"

Then "Save & Exit"

Step 7.

Reboot Phone then go to your camera, and use the Volume up or down key and VOLA you got yourself a shutter button

gordo2dope

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
damn i cant get it to save right. I'm using ROOT EXPLORER and even mounted the drive as READ/WRITE and have correct permissions. I backup the files first and made the exact changes, and did save and exit and it even said "changes saved copy of original file saved as "filenamek.bak" for example. And after I make the changes, I try to go back to the files to check if the changes stuck, but they dont show up in the respective folders again (system/usr/keylayout) I think it was. Even when you search it wont find it. So I restarted the phone and the changes still do not take effect. I have don't this 3 times already with the same results. After I restart and it doesn't work I go back to the file and its original again. I really would like this because Its so hard to take pictures when you cant see the button always. Plus I'm running MIUI ROM ( I like the older because they took out a bunch of stuff I like, 3.18 i think). They have the volume buttons mapped as zoom in and out. Any tips on how you personally did it, what explorer app you used for example? thanks!

gordo2dope

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
well it doesnt matter cause my phone took a SXXt last night and I had to take it in today to get replaced. =(

of course they were all "we have to check for water damage" and they ended up giving me a new one. I just got done rooting it (i hope) so I need to get all my stuff back on there. Hope everything works like it used to.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante