[ROM]GB 2.3.4 gingerbread-evo-deck [1.0][2.3.3 Stable][1.2c][2.3.4 Beta]

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to this so I don't.want.to make any mistakes. Can I keep my current kernel? Do I flash Rom,gapps, then reboot. Or Rom, gapps, kernel then reboot. Can I batch restore with titanium or will this erase my sdcard? Does it come with a kernel or is there one that is recommended.

Your current kernel will be overwritten with the one that is included with the ROM. As long as you are running a Gingerbread compliant AOSP Kernel (TIamat, SavagedZen. . .) you can flash those after you have flashed the ROM. I don't know of any batch restore with Titantium, but I use the free version.

This is the order I plan to do things after my EVO charges back up.

1. Make app backups with Titanium Backup
2. Reboot into Recovery and make a Nandroid Backup
3. Wipe caches
4. Flash ROM
5. Flash Gapps
6. Boot normally
7. Restore apps with Titanium Backup
8. Decide if I like include Kernel and flash SavagedZen if I decide I like it better.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Tried it out. It's not bad, but I think I'll go back to CM7 for now.

Hey illwood! Just curious, but what do you get with CM7 that you don't get with this ROM? I found the two to be very similar in feel and functionality. It's been a while since I have ran a CM ROM as I typically have GPS and MMS issues (which I can resolve but eventually show back up again).

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to this so I don't.want.to make any mistakes. Can I keep my current kernel? Do I flash Rom,gapps, then reboot. Or Rom, gapps, kernel then reboot. Can I batch restore with titanium or will this erase my sdcard? Does it come with a kernel or is there one that is recommended.

Not sure what Kernel you are running now, but the ROM comes with its own Kernel. When you are rooted you can flash to a new Kernel, but be wary because some kernels are intended to run with Sense ROMs and others are for AOSP ROMs. You'll have to read through the Kernel threads to see which ones will run with this AOSP ROM.

I'm pretty sure you can flash them in sequence without any issues.

I've never heard of a batch restore wiping an SD card out, so I'm a little unclear as to why you feel this might happen. Titanium runs just the same on AOSP ROMs as it does on Sense ROMs.

You should probably read through the thread for the ROM. Lots of pepople are talking about flashing different kernels, some report great results and some report bad results. It's kinda like Forrest Gump said, "...you never know what you're gonna get." The great thing about beeing rooted is you can try them all out and see what you like best. If you flash a Kernel that bombs the ROM, then just wipe and start over and flash a different kernel. Eventually you will get things where you want them. Reading the thread on the ROM will help you understand the successes and failures others have experienced.

Good luck, and most importantly, have fun!

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey illwood! Just curious, but what do you get with CM7 that you don't get with this ROM? I found the two to be very similar in feel and functionality. It's been a while since I have ran a CM ROM as I typically have GPS and MMS issues (which I can resolve but eventually show back up again).

Hey!

I don't have anything specific that I get better in CM7 than I get with that ROM. I have just been running CM7 for a few weeks now and after the GPS fix it has been working fine for me. I haven't had any MMS issue, but I don't do a lot of picture mail, so I just may not have noticed it.

Basically I didn't notice any better performance out of the EVO Deck over CM7, so I just went back to CM7. I did get the launcher to force close on me, but that doesn't seem to be new for me with AOSP ROMs. I always end up using Launcher Pro instead of ADW or the stock.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with CM7 considering that I used to be a die-hard Sense guy and still think that Calkulin's EViO 2 ROM is a great Froyo Sense ROM.

I will, however, be keeping an eye on the EVO Deck ROM and see where they go with it. I didn't kill my install completely. I still have a nandroid of it.

Mustang46L

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
So apparently a reboot was all I needed. Quite weird. I have 8MP as an option and probably double the settings that I had previously. Still loving the ROM though.

The only thing I noticed so far is that occasionally I hit the power button and the buttons light up but the screen doesn't come on. Maybe it is a bug in Beautiful Widgets or the ROM? not sure, but happy anyway.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I saw that 1.2e was out and I'm gonna flash that today. I noticed that I fell victim to the 4G on reboot and my phone wouldn't immediately wake up upon pressing the power button when the screen was off :p

I also noticed that sometimes my phone wouldn't reboot into recovery when selected to do so from the power menu. This ROM is very fast and now I just need to play around with SetCPU to make the battery last as long as some have reported. Any suggestions on that? I currently have my governor set to 'smartass' which it was at 'conservative' before.

Last edited:

fkpalm

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I have been using cm7 nightly since the beginning and
now I am using deck and I am very happy with it very stable and fast seems more stable then cm7

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Do I need to do a clean reinstall beteen c &f ?

Some have reported problems updating from build to build, so it's unclear on what's recommended for an upgrade. Just make sure to nandroid first, then try a f;lash over the top and see how it goes. If it freaks out, then just wipe it out and flash it fresh. If it ends up being buggier or having something you don't like, then you can just nandroid recover back to where you are now and wait for the next release.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
The only problem I seem to have is that I can't get my contacts to sync (that's a biggie) any suggestions? The account is correct, sync is set but I've got nothing....

TIA

Ron

I didn't have any issues with sync (Google or Facebook). All my contacts synced as expected for me, so I'm not sure how to direct you from here. If it were me I would wipe everything (data/cache/dalvik) and reflash and see if the issues goes away. If you still see the issue then you might want to try to redownload the ROM? Maybe something got corrupted in the DL? Someone else in this thread reported an issue that seemed to go away with a reboot. Maybe it just needs a fresh start? Just throwing things out there that come to mind...

Reactions: rtd13

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
cloak have you noticed anything regarding charging? My phones charge light goes green at like 95%, maybe less.. Yet it will keep charging to 100%.

tsmit50

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I really liked this ROM. Only 1 problem. Seemed like when I was on wifi I would keep getting international roaming notifications. Anyone else notice this? Or know how to fix it?

Sent from my EVO4G using Tapatalk.

Joe G

May 21, 2011
Visit site
It's a nice ROM... I tried it but I can't live without Sense, so I went back to Warm...

Sent from my EVO 4G using 2 cans & a string

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Finally got it working, so far so good.... now I just need to find a better contact manager and a replacement for the sense flashlight and I'll be very happy....

For a contacts manager try GoContacts in the market. It's not bad and lots of customization options.

As for the flash light there is the "Torch" application installed in the rom plus you can add a widget in the notification pull down.

Go to Menu->Settings->Advance->Interface->Notification Power Widget. There you'll see where you can add and rearrange a bunch of different ones.

Sent From The Tree House Out Back!

Reactions: rtd13

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
cloak have you noticed anything regarding charging? My phones charge light goes green at like 95%, maybe less.. Yet it will keep charging to 100%.

As someone already stated, this is fairly typical behavior for an AOSP ROM. You might be able to flash a custom Kernel and get different behavior there, but I'm not big on flashing Kernels. I have tried a few of them out and typically ended up in a worse place than where I started. You have to read those Kernel threads very carefully to make sure you know what you are getting into. I just stick with the stock Kernels that come with the ROMs as I feel that the Devs know a lot more about that stuff than me!:p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1