[Guide] How to get the Gingerbread OTA update and stay rooted!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
PLEASE READ THE WHOLE OP!

This guide will work from whatever rom youre on right now, and whatever kernel. You do NOT need to unroot. See HERE.

[NOTE]Yep, this is now updated for the latest 4.24 update. Cheers.[/NOTE]

Okay first of all, we are going to do a nandroid backup from the custom recovery of your choice. (Clockwork, or as i use, Amon_Ra). To do a nandroid backup, boot into recovery and hit nandroid. Also do any titanium backups right now while youre at it.

Now we get to the updating :)

The Rom Update

1. Download a Deodexed, or Odexed version of the rooted update from HERE. Deodexed is themeable and odex is not themeable, but some claim it to be a little faster. (Credit to xHausx :))

2. Put it on your SD card if you didnt download it from your phone.

3. Make sure you know where you stuck it on your SD card, and all your Backup taking is done.

4. Boot into recovery and wipe data, dalvik cache, and regular cache. Wipe everything that you can pretty much, except for your SD card.
4a. If youre on a 3.70 update sense based rom, you may be able to wipe cache and dalvik only-Test it to see, worst case scenario is your boot loop, in which case you boot back into recovery and wipe everything like the rest of us.

5. Go to install .zip from sd card in recovery and navigate to where you put the ROM (Update). If you downloaded it from your phone it's most likely in the "download" folder.

6. Select and install. Wait for it to finish installing and spit you back to the menu.

7. Reboot and enjoy :)
--------------------------------------
The Radio update.

First of all, improperly updating radios is one of the only ways to permanently brick an evo. Good thing you have this guide :) I actually updated my radios before i flashed the update, so im not 100% sure if you need them for the update to work, i suspect they arent needed (But its always best to have the latest radios :))

1. Download the combo update from Calkulin HERE

2. Make sure your phone has at least 50% battery.
2A. Im not kidding about the battery, it take about 7-10 minutes to update the radios and if your phone dies or you battery pull. Say hello to a permanent brick.

3. Put the update on your SD card if you didnt download from your phone and boot into recovery.

4. From recovery install the combo update, it will ask you to reboot. Do it.

5. Set your phone down and leave it be until the update is finished. It will reboot and such, but DO NOT BATTERY PULL.

6. The update will finish and you will reboot again, into your nice updated phone :D

------------
FAQ:

Q: How would i lose my WiMax RSA keys, and how do i back them up?
A: Who knows, but its better to have them then not have them. For clockwork recovery, make sure youre using a 3.0+ version (its orange on the recovery screen) and it does it automatically when you nandroid. For Amon_Ra, make sure youre using 2.3 and hit nandroid then make sure that theres an "x" in the wimax box before you start the backup

Q: Do I also need to flash the new Hboot zip since its not included in the combo zip? Or should I leave my current Hboot alone?
A: Dont ever get a new Hboot. Unless youre going to switch to the 76.2 Engineering Hboot, which i doubt youd need :p

Q: When trying to restore the combo radio zip through Rom Manager, it only takes several seconds when selecting the "install zip from sdcard" It doesn't take the 7-10 mins, am I doing something wrong?
A: Its different for everyone, just install the radio zip and it will tell you to reboot from the menu in recovery. After you hit reboot it will install the radios and kick you back to recovery. Reboot again and youre done.
Just to be sure, go to about phone>software and make sure your radio # matches the numbers from the zip you installed. (2.15.00.05.02)

ALSO. There will be alot of thread merging/deleting/locking when i see questions that are answered in this guide so spread the word about this guide here. Just because an OTA happens is no reason for a messy forum.

Alsox2, I will be checking this thread constantly and answering questions. ASK IN THIS THREAD. Its much better to have all the info in one place.

Last edited:

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So just to make sure, definitely don't want a brick. Since I'm running a AOSP ROM...can I just flash the radio update and be fine or do I need to install the new rooted update then the radio update?

Sent from my evil hideout. MUWHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yep. I did it on CM7 and was fine.

May be a dumb question, I've just never seen a way to do it. Is there a way to just back up the radios in case the update causes some kinda connectivity issue?

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The calkulins combo update is solid for me. As long as you backed up your wimax RSA keys you got nothing to lose i guess. You can always downgrade the radios, but not back them up :p

Reactions: CaMelGuY1337

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The calkulins combo update is solid for me. As long as you backed up your wimax RSA keys you got nothing to lose i guess. You can always downgrade the radios, but not back them up :p

Cool deal, one more question if I may. Do I also need to flash the new Hboot zip since its not included in the combo zip? Or should I leave my current Hboot alone?

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
ok, I was getting ready to do this.. what about the wimax RSA keys being lost?? how would they get lost?? and how do I back up my wimax keys?

If you're running the RA recovery its quite simple. When you're in the nandroid backup menu, just make sure WiMAX is selected before making the nandroid. Should be good to go after that. :)

links1964

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
i know that i have to press and hold the power and volume button to get to recovery mode but
how do i install the radios from the recovery?

bjafari

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
When trying to restore the combo radio zip through Rom Manager, it only takes several seconds when selecting the "install zip from sdcard" It doesn't take the 7-10 mins, am I doing something wrong?

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
ok, I was getting ready to do this.. what about the wimax RSA keys being lost?? how would they get lost?? and how do I back up my wimax keys?

Which recovery are you using? For clockwork recovery, make sure youre using a 3.0+ version (its orange on the recovery screen) and it does it automatically when you nandroid. For Amon_Ra, make sure youre using 2.3 and hit nandroid then make sure that theres an "x" in the wimax box before you start the backup

Cool deal, one more question if I may. Do I also need to flash the new Hboot zip since its not included in the combo zip? Or should I leave my current Hboot alone?

Dont ever get a new Hboot. Unless youre going to switch to the 76.2 Engineering Hboot.

i know that i have to press and hold the power and volume button to get to recovery mode but
how do i install the radios from the recovery?

Only youre in recovery, select install zip from sd card and choose zip. Then find it and install.

When trying to restore the combo radio zip through Rom Manager, it only takes several seconds when selecting the "install zip from sdcard" It doesn't take the 7-10 mins, am I doing something wrong?

Its different for everyone, just install the radio zip and it will tell you to reboot from the menu in recovery. After you hit reboot it will install the radios and kick you back to recovery. Reboot again and youre done.
Just to be sure, go to about phone>software and make sure your radio # matches the numbers from the zip you installed.

Good questions guys, Added to FAQ :)

Last edited:

bjafari

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response, but my numbers are not matching in the software settings. I must be doing something wrong, is there another method? I going to try to download the file again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2