LOW memory warning issues on rooted EVO w/GB + unrevoked

mushedroom#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
hello all,

i'm sure there are a few of you that experienced a strange memory draining phenomenon when you updated to GB from FROYO.

my experience was updating my phone to GB and seeing that i had an existing 60MB of space (when normally i would have about 100). and GRADUALLY while i sat through a movie at fox studios, i SHOCKINGLY saw my phone eat up memory so much so that by the time the movie was over i only had 4MB left!!! and my phone was basically useless.
i had to hard reset, re-update to GB and then restore all data again.
the same memory loss began to happen so i ended up deleting angry birds and angry birds seasons
as well as netflix and a few other apps.
this allowed me to have about 50mb free.
up until this weekend everything seemed to be ok.
i was periodically deleting my texts (i'm VERY VERY TEXT HEAVY and do a lot of uploading of photos to facebook and twitter) and my memory would slowly drop lower and lower until it hit 30mb this weekend
FINALLY i was able to figure out that i needed to clear data on all of my programs like: facebook, gmail, maps, contacts and various other "data" hogs.
i BARELY have 150 contacts and my contacts storage is at 38mb (i think this is due to my use of caller id photos?)

i think when the update to gb happened there was some kind of bug that would cause doubling or even tripling of existing data? i cleared the data on htc sense which was at 17MB and restored just the data from my titanium back up and now my htc sense is only at 5MB...

sorry for the long winded post. i'm hoping what i did with clearing data helps people free up memory...
(i know have 110mb)

my 2 questions are:
WHERE can i find the caller id photos in my contacts so i can shrink any big MB pics down and lower my 38MB contacts size

and HOW CAN I clear data in my "dialer storage". for some reason the "clear data" will not light up
and the force stop does not work. my dialer storage is at a high 24MB.

any suggestions would be appreciated!

8vdude8

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I might be wrong about this, but from what I've read before, the contact pictures should be changed to a lower resolution automatically.

Now, regarding your memory issues, check which apps are being stored on your phone and not your SD card. You can move quite a few of the user-installed applications onto the SD card (it should be the button right next to "clear data"). This will keep a few kilobytes of application data on the actual phone still, but most of the actual application will be stored on the SD card.

I'm running CyanogenMod now, but I do remember that HTC Sense and Adobe Flash were major players in taking up memory. I'm assuming that you're on the stock rom, meaning that you can't remove either of those, but moving your games and whatnot to your SD card will help quite a bit.

Finally, I'm not sure how you were checking your memory usage, but do realize that when you say "memory", it can be interpreted in two ways: the internal memory used for storage, and the RAM used as a temporary workspace for the processor. The RAM usage will definitely dip quite a bit with media and games, but your internal storage memory should not change that drastically during a movie. If your phone is slowing down, consider RAM usage, and try to decrease the number of apps you have simultaneously open (including ones that are running in the background, like Twitter, Facebook, any helper applications, and widgets on the homescreen). If your phone is showing that little symbol at the top and claiming that there is low storage space, you should look deeper into moving applications to the SD card and uninstalling unnecessary apps.

Hope this helps!

mushedroom#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I might be wrong about this, but from what I've read before, the contact pictures should be changed to a lower resolution automatically.

Now, regarding your memory issues, check which apps are being stored on your phone and not your SD card. You can move quite a few of the user-installed applications onto the SD card (it should be the button right next to "clear data"). This will keep a few kilobytes of application data on the actual phone still, but most of the actual application will be stored on the SD card.

I'm running CyanogenMod now, but I do remember that HTC Sense and Adobe Flash were major players in taking up memory. I'm assuming that you're on the stock rom, meaning that you can't remove either of those, but moving your games and whatnot to your SD card will help quite a bit.

Finally, I'm not sure how you were checking your memory usage, but do realize that when you say "memory", it can be interpreted in two ways: the internal memory used for storage, and the RAM used as a temporary workspace for the processor. The RAM usage will definitely dip quite a bit with media and games, but your internal storage memory should not change that drastically during a movie. If your phone is slowing down, consider RAM usage, and try to decrease the number of apps you have simultaneously open (including ones that are running in the background, like Twitter, Facebook, any helper applications, and widgets on the homescreen). If your phone is showing that little symbol at the top and claiming that there is low storage space, you should look deeper into moving applications to the SD card and uninstalling unnecessary apps.

Hope this helps!

thanks for the input.
i'm actually on point with all that you pointed out.
i have app2sd and use it quite regularly to transpo all apps to my sd
as for the memory eating...
my phone was doing some kind of weird thing where it was eating up storage memory while i was watching the movie
i found out that a lot of people were experiencing similar phenomenon...
so i just deleted all the data and restored for each app and this seemed to solve the problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX