Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GNemes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Okay, do I accept the OTA GB on rooted phone or not?

As usual, I read and read and read and then get thoroughly confused with all the technical stuff in this forum.

So. I rooted my phone using thefredelement guide to rooting. And I understand about 10% of it. But I can follow steps like nobody's business.

Anyway, now I'm trying to figure out whether:

1. I should accept the prompt to update to HTC System Upgrade 4.22.651.2.
    2. I should do the Firmware update to Gingerbread?

I'm seeing comments (if I understand them) that accepting the OTA update will prevent using the phone as Wi-Fi Hotspot and WiFi Tether?

And that the GB update will unroot the phone?

I know there's tons and tons of experience on this forum, but for babies at this like me, it's really confusing. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you!!

Don't accept the OTA if you want to keep root. If you want to update, there is a step by step guide to flashing the updated ROM here.

http://m.forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=90636
    Last edited by eriseth; 06-15-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eriseth View Post
    Don't accept the OTA if you want to keep root. If you want to update, there is a step by step guide to flashing the updated ROM here.

http://m.forum.androidcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90636
    Link is broke. http://m.forum.androidcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90636

Global Posts
    975 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9...on both devices

Quote Originally Posted by GNemes View Post
    As usual, I read and read and read and then get thoroughly confused with all the technical stuff in this forum.

So. I rooted my phone using thefredelement guide to rooting. And I understand about 10% of it. But I can follow steps like nobody's business.

Anyway, now I'm trying to figure out whether:

1. I should accept the prompt to update to HTC System Upgrade 4.22.651.2.
    2. I should do the Firmware update to Gingerbread?

I'm seeing comments (if I understand them) that accepting the OTA update will prevent using the phone as Wi-Fi Hotspot and WiFi Tether?

And that the GB update will unroot the phone?

I know there's tons and tons of experience on this forum, but for babies at this like me, it's really confusing. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you!!
    Answer to your fist 2 questions.... a. There the same thing.

And as you stated above "you read and read"?? Well if you read as much as you said you did then you had to have come across about 3 or 4 threads and maybe a sticky stating "Do Not" do the ota if you are rooted in the titles themself.

Second part of your questions.... yes GB broke the hotspots and wireless tether.... their are a bunch fixes.... hope over to xda.

And your last question.... yep. That's why their arr a bunch of posts about it.

Remember if your going to read anything on this or any tech site.... read the whole post.

Decks Rom Rules, Other Roms Drool!!! :-p
    Thanks for tryin!!!
    Devices: Samsung Galaxy SII Epic Touch 4G
    Samsung Galaxy10.1 16gb, Wifi

ROM
    CM10 nightly/CleanROM 2.4

Too bad d3x isn't around, OP. He would tell you what's what

ROM
    Team Venom v1.2

Quote Originally Posted by mr.wizard View Post
    Too bad d3x isn't around, OP. He would tell you what's what
    Do NOT accept an OTA on a rooted Evo.

ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by eldub1 View Post
    Do NOT accept an OTA on a rooted Evo.
    ^^^ Its that simple.

Get the rooted rom if you want to see the hype

Global Posts
    975 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9...on both devices

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeCrawler View Post
    ^^^ Its that simple.

Get the rooted rom if you want to see the hype
    Its kind of funny even after almost 2 weeks... this freakin question us still being asked.

Thanks for tryin!!!
    Devices: Samsung Galaxy SII Epic Touch 4G
    Samsung Galaxy10.1 16gb, Wifi

ROM
    Arctic Hd

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhilly View Post
    Its kind of funny even after almost 2 weeks... this freakin question us still being asked.

Thanks for tryin!!!
    People doesn't really search hard enough. They Google, reads the breif text under and moves on. If people really read and research these questions would not be asked over and over.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Default Re: Okay, do I accept the OTA GB on rooted phone or not?

Okay guys ... lighten up. Here's the thing about reading posts on this and any of the other forums. For many of us, the lingo is tough. Now, I'm a pretty bright gal ... and used to do tons and tons of PC work back when it was DOS and before. I've assembled systems and programmed a bunch of apps, so don't give me crap about not understanding this stuff or continuing to ask the question. I've been working on systems in one form or another probably before many of you were out of elementary school.

Dumpedduece -- When searching this forum or any of the others, the original question is sound ... but the corresponding 20 or 30 or 40 pages of answers get sidetracked into "what do you think about?" and "are you using" and "did you try" questions, followed by responses deep with lingo and ROM names, etc., that are unfamiliar.

Yes, the question has been asked. But without being a phone techy, the answers are difficult to weed through to find the real answer. Also ... it's important to remember that there are a number of different learning styles. Reading pages of apparent gibberish is only one of the ways. How about answering a direct question without getting sidetracked?

Am I to assume that the attitude I read here is one of "don't bother us, you ***** ... figure it out yourself!?"

If so ... it's time to move on to a site that has a bit more respect for the deep learning curve necessary.
    Thanked by:
    jm1max likes this.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7.0.3.1 w/ LPP

theres a few threads that say [PSA] and also say, in the title, to NOT accept the OTA if you are rooted.

even in those threads that you speak of, there are members that say, ON THE 1ST PAGE and in PLAIN ENGLISH, to NOT accept the OTA.

Quote Originally Posted by GNemes View Post
    Am I to assume that the attitude I read here is one of "don't bother us, you ***** ... figure it out yourself!?"

If so ... it's time to move on to a site that has a bit more respect for the deep learning curve necessary.
    this is not our attitude....but when there is a new thread every day (well...it seems like it anyway lol) about the SAME exact thing....it gets tiresome and irratating...hence our reaction
    ROM: CM 7.0.3.1 build
    Kernel: Tiamat 4.0.3 sbc
    Recovery: Amon_Ra v2.3

"Speeding never killed anyone, its suddenly coming to a stop that will get you" -- Jeremy Clarkson

If I helped you in anyway, please hit the "THANKS" button thats right over there >>

[HL]Formally ndRoiD-haZr-329[/HL]

General rule of thumb is to never accept an update Sprint pushes. Give it some time and one of the developers will have a rooted version of the update for us to flash.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa