[PSA] Rooting the new 2.3 is [ITS POSSIBLE GUYS!!!] 8/14/11

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Root is here for Evo 4G's on stock gingerbread 4.24!!! Via this method Revolutionary

I'll be leaving the old OP here below, for posterity and if anyone wants to find a little back drop on the story :p

[INFO]For warning i will be closing all thread asking about how to root or anything to do with rooting the new update. Post in this thread about it ONLY. No need for 50 threads of a similar topic.

Now on to the information about it.

Everyone who is rooted should know that you DO NOT accept OTA updates, we use rooted versions of the update instead. Accepting the update will cause you to lose root, and in this case, you cannot even reroot afterwards.

In this latest update was a new bootloader along with 2.3.3 gingerbread. Gingerbread can be rooted on other devices using gingerbreak which is a script that uses an exploit to gain root. The same developer made rageagainstthecage which is used in Z4 root. Z4 root will obviously not work with gingerbread.

When i get a chance ill mess around with gingerbreak to see if we can get temporary root on 2.3.3, but until a developer cracks the bootloader roms are not possible.

No you cannot roll back to 2.2, it will give you a main version update is older error. Dont bother trying.

When full root is possible, you will know, trust me.

Have a good day :)[/INFO]

Last edited:

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank God finally, I myself have been tired of these countless threads about the same thing. People lack the knowledge and curiosity to searching before posting.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Thank God finally, I myself have been tired of these countless threads about the same thing. People lack the knowledge and curiosity to searching before posting.

I understand the frustration. I kind of gave up with responding to curtain threads just because I'm tried of the same questions asked over and over and over.

@igotsanevo4g Thanks for cleaning up the forums.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Just kindly point people to this thread. Dont get hostile, we were all new at one point and AC in my mind is a great place for new people to come and learn. Id rather not taint that :p

@igotsanevo4g Thanks for cleaning up the forums.

No problem man, I never knew how much time was put into keeping the forums (as a whole) clean until i became a mod. Great mod team we have here on AC, to say the least :)

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes let's please not let this forum become as flamish as xda. Xda leaves me pissed everytime I visit

jasonblanco

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
No problem man, I never knew how much time was put into keeping the forums (as a whole) clean until i became a mod. Great mod team we have here on AC, to say the least :)

Thanks for putting this PSA up. You might want to close the thread I started "Anyone working on rooting...". It's devolved into a whine fest from a few of us stuck with the update. :)

glennruel

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Maintainence release 4.24.651.1

Has anyone heard anything about this release? I am wondering if it will be able to be rooted? I am guilty of installing 2.3.3 without investigating the implacations. Will this new release be my chance to gain root access?

jasonblanco

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone heard anything about this release? I am wondering if it will be able to be rooted? I am guilty of installing 2.3.3 without investigating the implacations. Will this new release be my chance to gain root access?

While we wait (patiently) for full root, is there reason to avoid this maintenance update in the meantime?

rsaylor78

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
While we wait (patiently) for full root, is there reason to avoid this maintenance update in the meantime?

I sure hope not. I've accepted the update. I pretty much resolved that I'll be a "normal" person until someone comes out with a hack to get root access. This is my punishment for not being patient and accepting the OTA the minute it was available.

Reactions: XxbloodyxX

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there was a new bootloader in this maintenance update. So if you're unrooted, I'd update it. Why not. :p

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

tonio9304

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there was a new bootloader in this maintenance update. So if you're unrooted, I'd update it. Why not. :p

I wanted my Netflix working again so I accepted the latest OTA update (4.24.651.1) I was previously running a 2.3.3 rooted ROM, I have used Unevoked forever and S-OFF is set. In this case, can I root again or is all hope lost? I would like my free Wifi Tethering back if possible...

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I wanted my Netflix working again so I accepted the latest OTA update (4.24.651.1) I was previously running a 2.3.3 rooted ROM, I have used Unevoked forever and S-OFF is set. In this case, can I root again or is all hope lost? I would like my free Wifi Tethering back if possible...

Fastboot flash a recovery, or load it through the bootloader with a PC36IMG. Then flash SU and hope. Or you can just flash a different rooted rom :p

Reactions: tonio9304

tonio9304

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Fastboot flash a recovery, or load it through the bootloader with a PC36IMG. Then flash SU and hope. Or you can just flash a different rooted rom :p

Thanks alot, that worked. I used bootloader to flash Amon Ra 2.3 and then flashed a 4.24.651.1 Rooted ROM. Glad I used Unrevoked Forever.

jasonblanco

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
No wife or kid for a week while they're visiting family. This was the week I had on my mental calendar to root my Evo and try out some of the ROMs I've been reading about.

Instead I am left only to enjoy the maintenance update that still leaves my phone slow and with poor battery life.

FML

sd_N

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Appreciation

Thanks for everything. Android devs will get it right soon. They may already have it done and are just polishing up. And I admit my curiosity got the best of me and I took the OTA. Won't ever happen again. My wife's Evo will b here tomorrow so I've tried to "persuade" her to change out with me but looks like she's gonna make me suffer with the ITYS's (i told you so) :( I will keep trying. So devs, keep up the good work and I will be watching and waiting to buy you Beer? coffee? whatever... Take care

jasonblanco

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Re: [PSA] Rooting the new 2.3 is not possible, yet. Read on...

The new CM7 RC and all of the surrounding talk is killing me. Damn you locked bootloader!

mdotsteele

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Lol I finally decide I'm ready to root and I read this thread. Oh well lol, in due time. The first rom I'm flashing is that Virus one with Sense 3.0.

Question, when you flash a new rom do you lose all your contacts?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15