Jealous? Turn your OG Evo into the 3D for free

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Actually, it's better than the Evo 3D, in my opinion, because it's rooted, has the stock GB wink-out effects, unlocked Sprint hotspot, etc. Found this ROM several days ago, flashed it, and cancelled my pre-order for the 3D. Feels like the full Sense 3.0 experience.

WORKING NETFLIX! NEW! [AllianceROM][r7.3] HybriD 3D[Sense 2.1 OTA][Stock&Themed] - xda-developers

It's called AllianceROM, and it's pretty amazing. My wifi has never been faster. Improved 3D data speeds, and after you let it settle for a day or two, the best battery life I've experienced on the Evo.

Reactions: KingRaf01

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
First of all, I wanna say that this ROM does look pretty good.

HOWEVER, I have issues installing stuff where the dev can't spell half the words right in the ROM notes. If he can't QA his own spelling, it sure doesn't instill a lot of confidence for how good and stable the ROM is.

There is also no mention as to whether 4G works. That's a biggie. Even in your post above, I thought you were going to settle it for me, but you said "Improved 3D data speeds" - don't you mean 3G?

I don't mean to flame - I'm just REAL big on polish.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I meant 3G. 4G does work (I tested it in the part of town with the only 4G tower), but 3G is more important for me, since that is all I usually get.

There is only one issue that I have with the ROM right now (and I didn't notice the spelling, I guess). The issue is that for apps I've moved to SD, after a reboot, their homescreen icons turn to the generic green icon. You can delete them and put them back if it bothers you, because they still work. I'm sure it will be fixed soon.

You have to try it to experience the amazing speed of nearly everything. The new browser caused me to dump Dolphin HD.

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
i wouldnt say its better....the 3D still has bigger memory and internal storage....and the qHD res. screen...and stock sense 3.0...and........

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I meant 3G. 4G does work (I tested it in the part of town with the only 4G tower), but 3G is more important for me, since that is all I usually get.

There is only one issue that I have with the ROM right now (and I didn't notice the spelling, I guess). The issue is that for apps I've moved to SD, after a reboot, their homescreen icons turn to the generic green icon. You can delete them and put them back if it bothers you, because they still work. I'm sure it will be fixed soon.

You have to try it to experience the amazing speed of nearly everything. The new browser caused me to dump Dolphin HD.

Having the same issue. But this ROM is amazing. King, Mik, Misfit and the whole team do great work. They are up late every night putting out new versions to get this right.

I have issues installing stuff where the dev can't spell half the words right in the ROM notes. If he can't QA his own spelling, it sure doesn't instill a lot of confidence for how good and stable the ROM is.

If you're judging a rom by the way a developer spells, you're sadly mistaken with this one. Typing accuracy is not their main concern when they bust their butts (late) every night on this.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I've been using this ROM off and on for a little while now (since the r7.0 release). It's very smooth and I love the lockscreen!! I haven't had any issues with 3G/4G or anything else. If you're looking to turn your EVO 4G into a 3D, I would definitely try this out!!

Only reason I've been going between this and another ROM (deck's AOSP ROM) is battery life. From my experience, deck's ROM has the best battery life.

Reactions: KingRaf01

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. This rom is sick! Love sense 3.0 and gingerbread. I tried the Virus Rom which is similar but I had alot of bugs and I'm glad I flashed this one.

taadow1030

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
This ROM is legit. I've run 7.3 since it was released last week. I played with 3D and the ROM's speed is very impressive. Once HTC releases kernel code, overclocking this ROM would make it even more amazing. Best battery life on a Sense ROM I've experienced. I recommend following the thread over at XDA for tips and tweaks we users have submitted. For users having issues, please follow the installation instructions. You may also wish to partition your SD card as I and others have done.

yankele

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I was actually using this rom just before getting my 3VO on launch day and I have to admit that besides a random reboot here and there the rom was really smooth and snappy, and of course it had netflix but now that I have the 3VO and that It's been rooted I'm very happy with it (even before rooting) so if yoy don't get the 3VO then this rom is as near as you'll get to it on the OG.

ribby18

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I would love to try this out, but i am completely new to rooting and all this stuff. MY evo 4g is running stock sense and the latest official ota update to gingerbread. is it possible to do this on my phone? And if so, can someone please direct me to instructions that would be suitable for a beginner??? Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

crankyd00d

May 21, 2011
Visit site
LOL at "better than the EVO 3D". Seriously...I have both, I have LOVED my EVO but the truth is it's been showing it's age for a while now. Even the camera on the 3D is better, which is the part that most people complained about, I have used every ROM on my EVO and still it doesn't come close to the 3D. Try 720p flash on websites...no ROM is gonna give you that, battery that lasts way longer with heavy use, a lock-screen that doesn't lag (every single one of these ROMs with the Sense 3.0 lock-screen lags), RAM that never runs out (I can have the browser with all the tabs used plus all of my apps open at the same time for seamless multitasking without a single one of them having to reload), etc. I could go on and on and on and I would still could not name all of the improvements, so yeah I loved my EVO but its about time he retires.
You could say it's better than the 3D for the price (you already have the 4G so it would be free) but you could say the same about the Wii against the Xbox 360 and PS3...but still the Wii is crap.
It's kinda sad trying to run the new lock-screen on the 4G when it's laggy and WidgetLocker is better for the 4G...but again for the price I guess it's good enough :)

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I actually just ran across this ROM last night on XDA and have got to say I'm really digging it. Dub's you weren't kidding about this lockscreen. ;) I will have to run for a few days to fully test it to my liking and what not, but I will have to say the battery life is impressing me quite a bit. I was on a the phone for a little bit earlier talking with a buddy and it only dropped 1%...which is pretty sweet. Now grant you Deck's ROM is the Holy Grail of battery life (imho), but I gotta give it to this dev. Getting this kinda life from Sense is no easy task I'm sure. Quick question, are you guys liking the stock version or the themed version? I haven't flashed the themed one yet and was wondering also if someone could post a screeny...pleeeeease. :p

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
On my non-rooted EVO 4G I occasionally get the generic icons for SD installed apps after rebooting. You just have to wait and eventually the actual icons come back. Sometimes it takes a long time, more than 10 minutes!

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way of changing the apps that are on the lockscreen? I can't seem to find it anywhere, please point me in the right direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz