The perfect phone... Any advice to make this happen?

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The perfect phone (to me) would be made by HTC - because Samsung does not update their devices properly. The screen would be big like my EVO and it would be vanilla GB - like the Nexus S 4G. It would not have Sense or Touchwiz or any crappy add on software - Gingerbread Android is perfect, just the way it is. So it would basically be a hybrid of the EVO and the Nexus S4G.

So here is where I need help. I have come very close to buying the Nexus S 4G because I love the software. But I do not like Samsung hardware.... I also have read that the signal issues are hit or miss based on a variety of factors. I love the stock Android without an overlay - I just want a phone that works and do not want to gamble on the signal problems associated with NS4G.

Is there any possible way to root my EVO and put the same stock GB Android on it (that is on the NS4G)? Basically, I want to use the EVO hardware that I currently have and get it to look, act, and seem like the Nexus S 4G. Possible?

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
The perfect phone (to me) would be made by HTC - because Samsung does not update their devices properly. The screen would be big like my EVO and it would be vanilla GB - like the Nexus S 4G. It would not have Sense or Touchwiz or any crappy add on software - Gingerbread Android is perfect, just the way it is. So it would basically be a hybrid of the EVO and the Nexus S4G.

So here is where I need help. I have come very close to buying the Nexus S 4G because I love the software. But I do not like Samsung hardware.... I also have read that the signal issues are hit or miss based on a variety of factors. I love the stock Android without an overlay - I just want a phone that works and do not want to gamble on the signal problems associated with NS4G.

Is there any possible way to root my EVO and put the same stock GB Android on it (that is on the NS4G)? Basically, I want to use the EVO hardware that I currently have and get it to look, act, and seem like the Nexus S 4G. Possible?

Decks Rom is nice.

Decks Rom Rules, Other Roms Drool!!! :p
Thanks for tryin!!!

Reactions: wryun

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't like Samsung either, but with their nexus it is Google that controls the updates, not Samsung.

Right - but that does not fix the signal issues. Th EVO does not have any signal issues - it has to be the hardware design... I want an EVO with Stock Android - is that too much to ask for?

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
All that is so confusing to me. I went to that link and there were about 600 replies over 60 pages. Every single one of them seems to be a different problem with something. I don't know anything about rooting (obviously) - would a back-up for the NS4G work on the EVO or does it work different than that? If I were to go to a local guy to get the root done, would I need to learn to tinker with it - so that I can troubleshoot the inevitable issues?

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
All that is so confusing to me. I went to that link and there were about 600 replies over 60 pages. Every single one of them seems to be a different problem with something. I don't know anything about rooting (obviously) - would a back-up for the NS4G work on the EVO or does it work different than that? If I were to go to a local guy to get the root done, would I need to learn to tinker with it - so that I can troubleshoot the inevitable issues?

Ok let me lay it out for you... and I'm going to go through your post I quoted from end to beginning.

1. QUOTE=meangreenstebo;1052588] If I were to go to a local guy to get the root done, would I need to learn to tinker with it - so that I can troubleshoot the inevitable issues?[/QUOTE]

First off, you should really do the rooting yourself. Buy doing the rooting yourself you'll be able too answer the next 2 questions on your own.

In short... yes, root your eVo yourself.

2.QUOTE=meangreenstebo;1052588]I don't know anything about rooting (obviously) - would a back-up for the NS4G work on the EVO or does it work different than that? [/QUOTE]

"DON'T DO THIS" It wont work... even though its Android at the core, its still tailored a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer and from phone model to phone model. Roms from one phone can and does happen, and quite a bit. Miss Philly has the eVo Shift and I played around with a rom the other day that was ported form the stock 2.3.3 GB updated. It had Sense 2.1(still hate sense... kind of) and it had the Sense 3.0 lockscreen.

In short... you can't just install a backup(or image) of one manufacturers phone/model to another manufacturers phone/model. Its not going to work.

3.QUOTE=meangreenstebo;1052588]All that is so confusing to me. I went to that link and there were about 600 replies over 60 pages. Every single one of them seems to be a different problem with something.[/QUOTE]

This ones a 2 parted answer...

a. Not going to lie to ya brother... its confusing as hell, when you are just getting into rooting and roming. But just like anything in life... first time is always the hardest, Right!?!?!

b. Now... don't believe everything you read on the imternet. You have to look at that post for what it is. That post was started when Decks 1.0 rom was first built. When it was more or less "beta", so of course there are going to be issues and bugs. Start from the last page of that thread and read backwards... you'll see. Also you should read this post http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...vo-deck-1-0-2-3-3-stable-1-2c-2-3-4-beta.html , it was started back when 1.2c was released and goes all the way to the last version or "Stable" release. Again... you'll see.

Hope I answered your questions and helped shed some light on the subject for you.

And my best abvice is to read everything you can on what rooting is, how to root and what benefits root will give you. Then once you've read all the stickies AC has and you fill a little more confident ... read it all over again.

Decks Rom Rules, Other Roms Drool!!! :p
Thanks for tryin!!!