For all the Pre defectors, what would it take for you to ditch the Evo for....

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so here we are, anticipating the Evo. I pretty much had my mind set on buying one, and then I am reading those reports about the Palm C40 again, including it having a 1 Ghz cpu, and a new version of webOS.

So, for all you Pre defectors (me included) what kind of Palm device would it take for you to not get the Evo but buy the next Palm phone instead?

Also to consider, even if you get Palm hardware on par or even better than the Evos (hard to imagine what that would look like), would you still feel good going with Palm considering how the company is doing? I mean, just because it comes out with stellar hardware, will the public ignore all others and buy it, or will they have a sour taste in their mouth from all the problems they had with the Pre? Will the developers support it as well as they do Android and iPhone? Or will it be a device the tech press raves about but still lands up a fail?

What's improtant to you? Me, I want everything. Part of what I like about the Evo are all the google services, like the voice recogntion, the cool version of Google Maps, the Compass, the visual voicemail.... but what I also want, and what I'll probably miss, are the 3d games the Pre was blessed with for the last few months. Is it just a matter of Google getting their act together and letting the devs install big games on the microSD card? On my Pre, I rarely played those games just because I always had to restart the phone to be able to play them.

Decisions decisions. Personally, I am still leaning towards the Evo, even if Palm comes out with the Pre of our hardware dreams, simply because Google has something Palm has not, gobs of money and resources.

Opinions?

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
good question, an equally specced device to the evo and the assurance that the webos platform will take off. i love webos but it needs third party support and high quality hardware (much like HTC provides, please buy palm)

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Gaming is getting bigger and bigger in the smart phone market, I am pretty sure Google realizes that and will make Android more Game Dev friendly, I mean, they have to, if they wanna keep up with the fruit company.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Gaming is getting bigger and bigger in the smart phone market, I am pretty sure Google realizes that and will make Android more Game Dev friendly, I mean, they have to, if they wanna keep up with the fruit company.

Realize that 800x480 is quickly becoming a standard for android and for WM7. I expect that this will make porting a bit more simple.

I have been thinking about what would draw me away from the Evo and back to Palm, and the truth is, just about nothing that can be done in a few months. Here are my thoughts.

Assuming equal hardware, I have started to think Android has the advantage over WebOS. The reason I say this is just the amount of support Android has. While WebOS is more elegant and makes certain tasks really easy (unified email and multitasking), these small number of pros don't outweigh the fact that I need: full epocrates support (guessing this will come to android first), document editing, voice dictating, task syncing and more mainstream support in general. If WebOS has this type of support I wouldn't have a problem, but with Palm's dire situation I don't see them gaining this support for a long while.

Currently WebOS is laggy at times, and I still get jealous looking at how smooth the iPhone and the Droid are. I also want a solid software keyboard, but Palm seems to be against this. As much as I like Palm I am finding it harder and harder to fully support them. I would not tell anyone to buy a Pre right now because I don't want to feel like crap if it breaks on them. I got my parents to buy Pre's back in December and I thought Palm were going places and were going to continue to grow and succeed, but much has changed in these past 4 months. I see the market pulling away from WebOS and Palm doesn't seem to be moving fast to get a buyer.

I guess all I see right now is Palm circling the drain and I don't want to be locked into a failing smart phone OS for a year.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Complex Pants, I pretty much agree with you 100%. The bitter taste the Pre left in peoples mouth might not be flushed away by there next super device, if indeed it will be a super device, that would include incredible hardware (no reference to the HTC Incredible intended), flawless hardware execution, and a sudden surge in extremely useful and popular apps into the App Catalog.

This would be a best case scenario, and even if it were to happen, will the people really buy it? Because if they don't, bye bye interest, bye bye positive coverage, bye bye Palm.

And recently I found myself watching every HTC Incredible/Desire review video I can find, how about you?

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Complex Pants, I pretty much agree with you 100%. The bitter taste the Pre left in peoples mouth might not be flushed away by there next super device, if indeed it will be a super device, that would include incredible hardware (no reference to the HTC Incredible intended), flawless hardware execution, and a sudden surge in extremely useful and popular apps into the App Catalog.

This would be a best case scenario, and even if it were to happen, will the people really buy it? Because if they don't, bye bye interest, bye bye positive coverage, bye bye Palm.

And recently I found myself watching every HTC Incredible/Desire review video I can find, how about you?

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I watch reviews about every device lol, well except the backflip lol. I am a huge nerd, but I also see the value in knowing about the competition so I can make fair assessments about products. The more I learn about Android the more I question the "supremacy" of WebOS. I try to look very objectively at the technology. For example, I think Apple's multitasking/task switching solution in iPhone OS 4.0 is a calculated play to accentuate Apple's strengths, eg battery life. To the end user, most people won't notice what is going on and most won't care. However, I do find fault with their method of choosing to switch, the double tap of the home button, I think it should have been a long press, but each to their own.

On the topic of the incredible, assuming nothing changes spec wise on the Evo, the performance of the incredible will be nearly identical to what we will see on the Evo. The only real change will be battery life with the changes in screen size/type and 4G vs 3G. That being said, the Evo will be a very impressive phone.

gibsonhtp#IM

Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
For me, it would take Palm getting back to being a strong company...getting low of funds every year (or sooner) and having to have people "invest" more money to keep Palm going isn't a good sign.

As for the device...Palm needs to get a device out that actually competes with the phones that are coming out over this summer. Having only two devices in a year that barely come close with what's out is not enticing. What we need is a port for WebOS over to the Evo, that would be cool.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
For me, a much faster processor, and a big screen. I like how small my Pre is in my pocket, but the screen is just too small for my eyes; I do a lot of reading on my Pre, and really wish the text was bigger.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the Pre "left a bad taste in people's mouth".
It never got to people's mouth.
It doesn't take much reading to find out that Sprint and VZ still does not recommend a Palm phone. If you see the commeecial and walk into the store it's Droid first and Blackberry second THEN if you really want it I'll sell it to you.
Two people I thought I had sold on WebOS got sold on a droid and a Storm2 after going into the store.

For me just a decent phone would get me out of the Evo4G. Hard to say though since it's not in my hands, maybe I'll really like Android and SenseUI.
Development really needs to get going on WebOS and if it appears dead or in trouble why would any devopment continue?
That's Palm's 2nd biggest problem.

russellpr

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I would stay with webOS if something like this were announced before the EVO launch:

- much improved hardware quality w/ physical keyboard
- bigger screen than Pre with 800x480 resolution
- better camera (8 mp seems to be the starting line these days)
- 4G radio
- upgradable memory (or at least more than 8 Gb)
- solid battery life specs (1500+)
- solid...if not native...integration with Google (Voice, Maps, Latitude)

Other specs that would be good to see for a flagship device, but are really just icing for me and not deal makers/breakers:

- supported hotspot
- high def vid
- fm radio
- ability to read minds
- bagel warmer (like my Pre's battery temp)
- breathalizer app

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Palm has the funds to release anything close to the specs to what the Evo will have so for me its not an option. I'm sticking with the Evo

Mitalis

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
For me to consider going back to WebOS would only happen if there were far more developers releasing apps for it then there are now.. Between iPhone and Android, WebOS is definitely the underdog here..

I can't help but feel that WebOS still isn't mature enough for starters... Microphone access anybody? WebOS still lacks the API for mic access, no voice dialing, no voice memos, no nothing... I was so sure that Palm would include that API seeing as they added video recording but they didn't.

Also lack of Google Voice support. Anybody remember GDial Pro? The developer gave up on it because things kept breaking (though I think Google is to blame for that.)

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I have been screwed one too many times by Palm, time to move to HTC :D. I'm sure the C40 will be nice, but the EVO is what I am getting now!

DougDarden

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Well said. I feel the same way. I've been with Palm ever since the Handspring VisorPhone days. Remember that 'phone'? This is the first time I've seriously considered moving away from a Palm device. But like ComplexPants said, "I guess all I see right now is Palm circling the drain and I don't want to be locked into a failing smart phone OS for a year."

I plan on keeping an eye for anything surprisingly earth shattering from Palm and maybe one day I'll return, but right now it looks like I'm headed to the Evo.

- Doug

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
WebOS got basic Google integration. I seriously doubt Google will give up the good stuff to a competeing OS.
At least Maps got walking directions :)

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I would just like to point out that most people here are talking like they are in a relationship with WebOS. It is really kind of funny.

Us: WebOS we need to talk...
WebOS: Why?!? What's wrong?
Us: I love you WebOS, but you aren't pulling your weight.
WebOS: What do you mean? Are you breaking up with me?
Us: When we started this relationship, you promised so much. It has almost been a year, and things aren't changing for the better. I think I need to move on....
WebOS: But you always said you we would always be together!
Us: Things change and time moves on. I am sorry, but I need go elsewhere with my life....goodbye WebOS. Can we still be friends?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084