Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Voice pros/cons rundown?

Ok, I am thinking of moving my number over to Google Voice, but I have a couple of concerns. Can someone help me out with these.

• I've heard some "horror stories" that GV takes over a lot of functions on the phone, like texting for example. Can someone give me a rundown on some things I can expect.
    • If I port my Sprint number to GV, what are the ramifications (if any) if I buy a new phone or switch carriers?
    • If I decide I don't want to use it, how hard is it to go back to not using it (port my number back to Sprint)?

Anything else I should be aware of?

These are probably noobish questions. I'm just not overly familiar with GV but after reading about its capabilities, I think I want to go that route...I just don't want to jump in face first.

ROM
    Decks Reloaded,RebelROM

Default Re: Google Voice pros/cons rundown?

Sprint and Google Voice

Google Voice

These 2 links are a start.
    TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2 ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 1 (i717) • CM11 4.4.2 kitkat (jamied)
    Samsung GalaxyTab 3 (7 in) • Deleterious ROM
    HTC EVO 4G • Deck's Reloaded ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (i317) unlocked • Ditto Note 3.1.1 (4.3) ROM
    B&N Nook Color (Gifted to relative)
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail • Half A$$ed ROM
    EVO Shift• JellyBelly ROM
    Samsung Galaxy S3 • DanKang 4.3.1 ROM

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Your number stays the same, if you don't like GV just uninstall it

Its pretty tweakable also, I say give it a go.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"

I currently have my number ported to Google Voice. Using the App seemed annoying for me because of the delivery delay. I found out that I can select to get the texts using the EVO's messaging App. After I set it up that way there was no delay anymore. I deleted the GV App and that took care of my problem.
    I selected to have the voicemail transcript sent as a text. It can be also be selected to be delivered as email. Once you have GV the #1 on the keypad goes to GV instead of Sprint voicemail.
    I like the ability to use my number in different devices, that is why I prefer GV.
    Bottom line is that it depends on what each individual prefer.
    I would say give it a try. There is nothing you'll regret since you'll be able to switch it back at any point.

"If you ain't laughing you ain't living".

Works great for me, use the system messaging app, I mainly only use it for voicemail, voice to text.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    626 Global Posts

Every now and then it takes over a text out of the blue instead of letting my sms handle it. Quite strange, and very annoying

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    • If I port my Sprint number to GV, what are the ramifications (if any) if I buy a new phone or switch carriers?
    • If I decide I don't want to use it, how hard is it to go back to not using it (port my number back to Sprint)?

With the Sprint/GV integration you really aren't porting your number to GV as it is more of a partnership between Sprint and google. So it is very easy to undo or redo the integration. It is just a matter of logging into your GV account and clicking a setting.

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

Cell phones are not allowed at my job so Google Voice is a godsend for me. I can text the kids from the GV website and catch any voicemails that come in.

ROM
    CM10

Being able to switch between a full-size keyboard on any computer with internet and your phone for texting and voicemail is paradigm-shifting.

The best part for me about letting my Sprint number become my GV number is that now, SMS go to Google Voice, and MMS go to my Messaging app... before now, I couldn't even get MMS, because GV doesn't support it. Now I have the best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleHeart0629 View Post
    I currently have my number ported to Google Voice. Using the App seemed annoying for me because of the delivery delay. I found out that I can select to get the texts using the EVO's messaging App. After I set it up that way there was no delay anymore. I deleted the GV App and that took care of my problem.
    I selected to have the voicemail transcript sent as a text. It can be also be selected to be delivered as email. Once you have GV the #1 on the keypad goes to GV instead of Sprint voicemail.
    I like the ability to use my number in different devices, that is why I prefer GV.
    Bottom line is that it depends on what each individual prefer.
    I would say give it a try. There is nothing you'll regret since you'll be able to switch it back at any point.

"If you ain't laughing you ain't living".
    Right. GV is really a useful tool. Especially for calling overseas and for text. Try it.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Guess I need to take the leap.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

For the most part, I enjoy using GV. However, I would like to be able to use it strictly for voice not text but that doesn't seem to be an option. The other thing that I dislike is the widget doesn't seem to work correctly all of the time. Sometimes it let's me click on a message in the widget and look at all of my messages in an inbox style, other times it only lets me scroll through them on the widget. It gets frustrating. Also, I like it a lot more now that I got rid of call screening. I hated having to pull up the keypad and hitting 1 to answer. I missed many a call having to fudge with that.