Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    Hi guys I am trying to decide between these two. I already have an Evo 4G and it stopped sending and receiving MMS so I brought it into Sprint and I am now trying to decide between getting another Evo or a Nexus S. Help please?
  2. #2  
    edbbates11's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread-evo-deck

    Default

    Both great phones. EVO is hitting end of life soon.

    -Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    Thanks yeah I am having a hard time deciding. I am wondering if the Nexus S will receive Ice Cream Sandwich.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    wait 5 days and go Moto Photon.
  5. #5  
    crzycrkr's Avatar

    Posts
    1,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lsufronier View Post
    Thanks yeah I am having a hard time deciding. I am wondering if the Nexus S will receive Ice Cream Sandwich.
    Ues it will. The Nexus is leaps and bounds above the 4g. Performance wise, its similar to the 3d. Best phone on sprint imo, and the best deal on the market at the current priceprice
  6. #6  
    jprins68's Avatar

    Posts
    99 Posts
    ROM
    Sense 4.0

    Default Re: Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    Quote Originally Posted by lsufronier View Post
    Thanks yeah I am having a hard time deciding. I am wondering if the Nexus S will receive Ice Cream Sandwich.
    I would think so, but at the very least it has a much better chance than the Evo does. Especially with the leak of it being EOLed before ICS even comes out.

    I have a rooted Evo and my wife just got a Nexus S so I can make a pretty solid comparison. Even though the screen on the Nexus is a bit smaller, I would trade phones with her in a second. The colors on the SAMOLED look very nice and the phones seem very fast. Even though benchmarks are not always the most reliable comparison tool, the Neocore test was almost twice as good on the Nexus (30ish to 55ish). She has not let me put too much in the way of games on the phone, but it seems like graphically the Nexus will outperform the Evo significantly.

    I love my Evo, but it is getting a bit long in the tooth and never had a very strong GPU in the first place. Given the choice between the two I would go with the Nexus. If you can wait though, the Photon seems nice and the Galaxy SII has to be announced soon.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    Thanks guys I am leaning towards the Nexus but just wanted to make sure it will receive Ice Cream Sandwich because that would be one of my main reasons for getting it.
  8. #8  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default Re: Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    It will definitely get ICS or the next version of Android for phones, its a google phone
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    Thanks for the reassurance.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    I hear that Samsung fixed the GPS issue too...
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    i like EVO over Nexus S -

    1. LED
    2. FM Radio
    3. Sense
    4. 4.3" Display
    5. HTC Build Quality and Update Frequency
    6. SD Card Slot
    7. Dual Flash
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i like EVO over Nexus S -

    1. LED
    2. FM Radio
    3. Sense
    4. 4.3" Display
    5. HTC Build Quality and Update Frequency
    6. SD Card Slot
    7. Dual Flash
    Good points...
  13. #13  
    crzycrkr's Avatar

    Posts
    1,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i like EVO over Nexus S -

    1. LED
    2. FM Radio
    3. Sense
    4. 4.3" Display
    5. HTC Build Quality and Update Frequency
    Just my thoughts on these
    1. Fixed with root and BLN. I like having my buttons flash more
    2. I wasn't aware anyone still listened to radio. In the year I had my EVO, I never once used it
    3. I got sick of sense wuickly and rooted and romed my EVO. Personal preference
    4. The Nexus screen is smaller, but so much better
    5. HTC build quality left a lot to be desired on the EVO, and it looks like that hasn't changed much on the 3D. The EVO had issues with screen lifting, light bleed, plastic around the screen cracking, etc. The Nexus is solid. Updates should come faster on the Nexus, but may be a coin flip on fixes

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
  14. #14  
    edbbates11's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread-evo-deck

    Default

    You have a point.
    I like the option of being able to upgrade an sd card on the EVO.

    -Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    i use the FM Radio all of the time - but i am in a major metro area with lots of great stations. i like listening to live radio because it keeps me fresh and current. and i don't need to continually buy, "collect", and manage stale mp3s which i end up burning out and getting sick of anyway. streaming radio is great but it burns the battery fast. the FM Radio hardly uses any battery.
  16. #16  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i use the FM Radio all of the time - but i am in a major metro area with lots of great stations. i like listening to live radio because it keeps me fresh and current. and i don't need to continually buy, "collect", and manage stale mp3s which i end up burning out and getting sick of anyway. streaming radio is great but it burns the battery fast. the FM Radio hardly uses any battery.
    One app people "Tune in Radio " its free.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse813 View Post
    One app people "Tune in Radio " its free.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    yeah i've been using the paid version of that app for over a year - since way back when it was called "Radio Time" - and yeah it is great and i love it. but as i indicated in my previous post - streaming burns the battery fast - which is not always acceptable when you are out and about for the whole day ie beach etc. it's nice to have the FM Radio which probably uses 1/1000 of the energy that streaming does.
  18. #18  
    crzycrkr's Avatar

    Posts
    1,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i use the FM Radio all of the time - but i am in a major metro area with lots of great stations. i like listening to live radio because it keeps me fresh and current. and i don't need to continually buy, "collect", and manage stale mp3s which i end up burning out and getting sick of anyway. streaming radio is great but it burns the battery fast. the FM Radio hardly uses any battery.
    Yeah, I gave up on radio in the mid 90s and I don't live to far out of NYC. I find most of the music coming out today to be garbage anyway. I think you may be in the minority on the FM radio though

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    Quote Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
    Yeah, I gave up on radio in the mid 90s and I don't live to far out of NYC. I find most of the music coming out today to be garbage anyway. I think you may be in the minority on the FM radio though

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    "Actually that's a good sign to know you are old. Once you reach a certain age, you stop liking the current popular music and you get "stuck" in the 70s or 80s or whatever year you grew up listening to music. Chances are your parents didn't like the music you grew up listening to and neither did their parents before them. They all said the same thing that there was zero music talent during that time. Sorry to break the bad news to you." – peilthetraveler

    http://www.hot97.com/
  20. #20  
    crzycrkr's Avatar

    Posts
    1,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

    Default Re: Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    "Actually that's a good sign to know you are old. Once you reach a certain age, you stop liking the current popular music and you get "stuck" in the 70s or 80s or whatever year you grew up listening to music. Chances are your parents didn't like the music you grew up listening to and neither did their parents before them. They all said the same thing that there was zero music talent during that time. Sorry to break the bad news to you." peilthetraveler

    HOT 97 IS HIP HOP AND R&B
    Okay, lets try this again, since my last two replies got screwed up.

    Yeah, I gave up on pop music and radio in my mid teen years. It wasn't so much the music they were playing as the fact they kept playing the same music over and over again. It gets to the point that you know what song is coming next. I keep up with the newer music I like, and just use my ipod. I'd rather be able to pick it myself and hear more than the same 20 songs looped constantly.

    I will say that Lady Gaga has zero musical talent. Can't wait for that trash to go away.

    And, yes, I am kinda old
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    Quote Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
    Okay, lets try this again, since my last two replies got screwed up.

    Yeah, I gave up on pop music and radio in my mid teen years. It wasn't so much the music they were playing as the fact they kept playing the same music over and over again. It gets to the point that you know what song is coming next. I keep up with the newer music I like, and just use my ipod. I'd rather be able to pick it myself and hear more than the same 20 songs looped constantly.

    I will say that Lady Gaga has zero musical talent. Can't wait for that trash to go away.

    And, yes, I am kinda old
    i'm not a Lady Gaga fan but i think she's incredibly talented - watch this -



    not only can she sing and play instruments but she writes her own songs too. unlike a lot of other artists that are "created" in the studio - this woman can create the music on her own. i respect that.

    but - to each his own!
  22. #22  
    crzycrkr's Avatar

    Posts
    1,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i'm not a Lady Gaga fan but i think she's incredibly talented -



    not only can she sing and play instruments but she writes her own songs too.

    to each his own!
    I have heard that from a lot of her fans before, and I can somewhat agree, but only somewhat. From what I've heard, her song writing is questionable at best. She can sing and she can play though, buy so can many others. My bigger issue with here is her ridiculous look at me stunts. Personally I think if she was, and believed she was, that good, she would be able to rely on her music rather than her outfits and theatrics. But, as you said, to each their own
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Nexus S vs Evo 4G

    Quote Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
    I have heard that from a lot of her fans before, and I can somewhat agree, but only somewhat. From what I've heard, her song writing is questionable at best. She can sing and she can play though, buy so can many others. My bigger issue with here is her ridiculous look at me stunts. Personally I think if she was, and believed she was, that good, she would be able to rely on her music rather than her outfits and theatrics. But, as you said, to each their own
    well the outfits and the stunts and the gimmicks are part of the game. this has been going on since the beginning of time - Elvis with the swinging hips and pompadour, KISS with the makeup, Michael Jackson with the glove, etc. in fact - i gave her even more credit as a MARKETER. not only does she have genius musical talent - she's a genius marketer because she knows how to market herself and her music through the outrageousness.
  24. #24  

    Default

    I'm old. But I dispute that people necessarily stop enjoying new music as they age.

    An even older friend told me that before the musical 'generation gap' of the 60s, it was normal for parents and children to like the same music. That seismic change was unusual, and hasn't happened since.

    I find that while there is lots of new music that I don't care for, there is also new music that is stylistically quite similar to what I listened to as a child and teen in the 60s. (And there's new stuff that sounds like the 70s ad 80s, too.) My kids like my old music. I see other teens wearing teeshirts bearing logos from bands of my youth.

    Anyhow, this digression has nothing to do with Android gadgets. I didn't realize some come with radios. I like to listen to the radio in the car, but I have lousy reception at work and don't like headphones anyhow. So, probably not an important feature for me, but I can see it being an important differentiator for others.
  25. #25  
    crzycrkr's Avatar

    Posts
    1,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    well the outfits and the stunts and the gimmicks are part of the game. this has been going on since the beginning of time - Elvis with the swinging hips and pompadour, KISS with the makeup, Michael Jackson with the glove, etc. in fact - i gave her even more credit as a MARKETER. not only does she have genius musical talent - she's a genius marketer because she knows how to market herself and her music through the outrageousness.
    She definitely does an amazing job marketing herself. That's not too difficult to do with her fans age group though. Realistically, she's just pulling a page from Marilyn Manson's book. Shock them as much as you can and tell them you understand their childhood angst. Nothing new there. There is a bit of a difference between Michael Jackson's glove and a dress made out of meat though. We'll have yo agree to disagree on her musical "genius" though. As far as I'm concerned she's just another flash in the pan, but with a bit more talent than the rest. Its starting to show too. Judging by how her last album dropped off the face of the earth after the first week of selling for $1, her fan base might be outgrowing her. Thank god
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions