Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Default Video formats

Guys

I had another question about the phone's capability. Will it be able to play .avi, divx, x264 files directly for streaming to a TV or would they need to be converter first?

Thx

H.264 certainly. The others ?
    IMO H.264 Is a better format that the others.
    Evo4G. Now with more Internet.

You know, this brings up an interesting question that I hadn't thought of yet...

What will I have to do in order to play all my windows media files (audio and video) on the Evo?

I have been using Windows Mobile phones for years, so a lot of my files are in Windows Media format. Do Android phones play those files?

ROM
    Stock

There are plenty of converters. Handbrake is a great one (and I mean GREAT). Video quality is second to none, which will be nice with the beautiful display.

For HD movies i have on my computer in .mkv format, will those be able to play?

I use, or used to since I'm using Lucid on the desktop, Handbrake for converting everything including DVDs to .mpv
    Started converting to .mp4 even before I ditched WM.

Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    There are plenty of converters. Handbrake is a great one (and I mean GREAT). Video quality is second to none, which will be nice with the beautiful display.
    question.... When I convert 300mb .AVI file to a mp4 file. It comes out 2gb+ and the video doesn't play right (it plays in sorta slow motion). Any suggestions?

Check your settings carefully. The only time I ever have one come out larger is when the bitrate, video or audio, is larger than the original.
    Surprisingly from my playing resolution has very little effect on actual file size.

ROM
    Stock

Also make sure ipod 5g is unchecked

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdarknessb View Post
    For HD movies i have on my computer in .mkv format, will those be able to play?
    I don't think mkv files will work. MKV is a container kinda like AVI that holds the audio and video tracks. You'll need to use some software like "MKV extract" to pull the tracks and remux them into a .mp4 file.

having trouble playing my mp4 files that i converted from avi using HANDBRAKE. On the evo I can hear it but its just Blank. Any suggestions?

for example on one of the videos

142.2 mb
    Dimensions 1280 x 720
    Codecs H 264, AAC
    Duration 03:26
    Channel Count : 2
    bit rate: 5,804

audio on the vid works well but it just doesnt play
    Last edited by Phongables; 06-09-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Phongables View Post
    having trouble playing my mp4 files that i converted from avi using HANDBRAKE. On the evo I can hear it but its just Blank. Any suggestions?
    I'm guessing your problem is caused by some of the settings on the advanced tab. See my post here.