By time the EVO comes out......

MrMercedes

May 2, 2010
Visit site
So I'm jumping the At&t and Iphone ship. I really want to go to a android phone. So I figured the Evo would be perfect. I'm kind of confused on why its taking Sprint so long to get the phone out to the market. Its losing a lot of steam right now....With the Incredible coming out and the Iphone coming out soon, Sprint is sure to lose those customers that were going to go to them just because of the Evo. I know there will always be a bigger and better phone coming out every other month it seems, but come on Sprint. I guess I'm impatient. So in closing on my mini rant, should I hold out for the EVO even though my city doesn't have 4G?

gstill4

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
The Evo is going to be a beast of a phone. The only reason we know abut this phone is because we constantly try to find new info about the phone when i get the general public doesn't know about the phone yet and that's why I'm pretty sure that's why they're having the party thing on the 12th. Trust me if i can hold out with my crappy ass Palm Pre for another month I'm pretty sure u can to. I already have a buyer for my Pre but if ii didn't i would so play baseball with my pre..and it seems it has gotten worse since the last update. So just wait another month and you should be good.

MrMercedes

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm just hoping that Sprint has good coverage here in Sacramento,Ca and surrounding area. If not, there is really no point in getting the EVO. :mad:

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
And that's what a lot of people forget. The EVO will be on Sprint! Not the best service in the world. On top of that 4g isn't everywhere. It will only benfit those in the select cities. That's why I don't get why everyone is excited about this phone. Its main feature isn't available to everyone.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Not being harsh but while waiting sucks it's not necessarily bad from their perspective.
Sure the Incredible took some thunder away. The Ally will take some too. So will the iphone.
At the same time the ones who are so impatient that they absolutely can't wait will be the ones who get one the internet and complain non-stop because it's missing "X" feature. They'll be the ones who return it and then go buy the iPhone/Incredible/Ally.

Just an opinion cause I'm sure Sprint just doesn't know how to release a phone successfully.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
It's main feature for me BTW is the massive screen and the camera.

I do get you point though. The amount of peopple screaming for a 4G Palm for example is ridiculous.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
And that's what a lot of people forget. The EVO will be on Sprint! Not the best service in the world. On top of that 4g isn't everywhere. It will only benfit those in the select cities. That's why I don't get why everyone is excited about this phone. Its main feature isn't available to everyone.

Because its on Sprint and the data speeds of 3G are sufficient and considering 4G (LTE) won't be live from VZW until about a year from now, it'll be in plenty more cities by then. Also Sprint service isn't terrible. They have the second most coverage in the nation at a far less cost. I remember when data was only $15 on VZW, $30-45 for data is insane! Not worth it, sorry.

To actually answer the question at hand, Sacramento and surrounding area should have great coverage. Check out the map on their site. There's no 4G, but its still a sweet device.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
It's main feature for me BTW is the massive screen and the camera.

I do get you point though. The amount of peopple screaming for a 4G Palm for example is ridiculous.

The people screeming for a 4G Palm were the people hoping it would save the company. Thats not an issue really anymore.

panzeryelp

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The Evo is going to be a beast of a phone. The only reason we know abut this phone is because we constantly try to find new info about the phone when i get the general public doesn't know about the phone yet and that's why I'm pretty sure that's why they're having the party thing on the 12th. Trust me if i can hold out with my crappy ass Palm Pre for another month I'm pretty sure u can to. I already have a buyer for my Pre but if ii didn't i would so play baseball with my pre..and it seems it has gotten worse since the last update. So just wait another month and you should be good.

I'm planning on bringing my Pre to the gun range and blowing a hole into it :D

NM08SRT8#AC

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
So I'm jumping the At&t and Iphone ship. I really want to go to a android phone. So I figured the Evo would be perfect. I'm kind of confused on why its taking Sprint so long to get the phone out to the market. Its losing a lot of steam right now....With the Incredible coming out and the Iphone coming out soon, Sprint is sure to lose those customers that were going to go to them just because of the Evo. I know there will always be a bigger and better phone coming out every other month it seems, but come on Sprint. I guess I'm impatient. So in closing on my mini rant, should I hold out for the EVO even though my city doesn't have 4G?
Don't let the lack of 4G determine if you get the Evo or not..

That's like not getting a WiFi capable phone just because you don't have a WiFi Router. The phone is still usable on 3G and will do everything it can do when it is on 4G.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Don't let the lack of 4G determine if you get the Evo or not..

That's like not getting a WiFi capable phone just because you don't have a WiFi Router. The phone is still usable on 3G and will do everything it can do when it is on 4G.

Well it won't do simultaneous voice and data on 3G, but I get your point. I'm not in a 4G area (yet) and I am still planning on buying the Evo the second they will sell me one.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't really get much of the simultaneous voice/data arguments. What is that truly useful for? When you are doing things like that, you would most likely be in an area of wifi.
Google navigation cache's the entire route before guiding you, so you still get voice guided directions, no map.... but do you really want to be talking, looking at a map and driving?

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't really get much of the simultaneous voice/data arguments. What is that truly useful for? When you are doing things like that, you would most likely be in an area of wifi.
Google navigation cache's the entire route before guiding you, so you still get voice guided directions, no map.... but do you really want to be talking, looking at a map and driving?

Well the biggest thing simultaneous voice and data does is when I am watching my slingbox or listening to online radio and it stops every time I get a text message or a tweet.

But there plenty of times when it would be nice to confirm someone (or even myself) receives an email before I hang up, or planning an evening with the wife (talking to her on the phone) while I look up movies and restaurants online.

There are plenty of things I used to do on AT&T that required simultaneous voice and data. It will be nice to be able to do them again when Sprint launches 4G in my area.

And yes, I would absolutely like to be able to talk on the phone (via bluetooth or speakerphone) while I drive with GPS guiding me.

Last edited:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Where are you doing these things?
My point is most people would have wifi where they would do such things. Unless you're in the back of a cab in NYC.

And the GPS still will, just don't use the Sprint Nav and you're good. Sprint's nav doesn't cache the route.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Where are you doing these things?
My point is most people would have wifi where they would do such things. Unless you're in the back of a cab in NYC.

And the GPS still will, just don't use the Sprint Nav and you're good. Sprint's nav doesn't cache the route.

I do it all over the place, lol. In my mind, that's why I buy an expensive smartphone and pay for an expensive data plan on it- so I can do that kind of stuff whenever, and wherever I want.

So, for example, if there is a big game on and I am stuck at work, I can watch it on my slingbox. Or even if there isn't a big game on, I like to listen to online radio without it stopping every time I get a text message/tweet/facebook message, etc.

If I'm riding with a friend and trying to plan my evening with my wife over the phone, I like to be able to do it without hanging up and calling back.

If I'm at the DMV waiting (which can take hours) and I start watching my slingbox, it sucks when it stops every time I get a text message/tweet/facebook message, etc.

If you've had Sprint for a long time then it's probably no big deal to you. But I would guess that anyone coming from AT&T (and had a smartphone on AT&T) will probably miss simultaneous voice and data just like me.

I'm glad Sprint is fixing that issue with the launch of 4G. But I can honestly say I missed simultaneous voice and data almost immediately when I dropped AT&T and moved to Sprint.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been with sprint long, less than a year actually. But the dropped calls with ATT can't ever justify me ever going back to them. Plus they ruin every device they decide to carry.