Sprint may have saved themselves a customer with the Evo...

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have been a Sprint customer since I ordered my first cell phone in March of 2001. My current phone is a Samsung Instinct I purchased on its release day. Sadly I feel burned as it was marketed as the "anti-iphone" and did not come close to being one. Up until the Evo was announced I had made up my mind to jump ship to At&T so I can have the iphone as I got my girlfriend an ipod touch and loved it. While I haven't made up my final decision I am leaning heavily towards the Evo, but I hope to get to play with one in the store first. I've been reading these forums heavily, watching youtube videos of the evo as well as other android phones, and trying to stay on top of the mobile phone world to see if any new information is getting released.

I just wanted everyone to know that the evo is taking atleast one sale from apple, and I bet I am not the only one leaning that way.

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Welcome...

A few things to consider, the Android system is relatively new to the game. More importantly, it is lacking a key component that the iPhone OS has firmly taken hold of (with the Palm webOS coming in a close second): Gaming!

Android gaming is AWFUL. Sure, there are a few gems out there, things to pass the time... but nothing kick-ass like the iPhone. There are a few limitations right now... OpenGL drivers are kind of all over the place. That's a problem when you have multiple hardware makers developing Android. Different specs for different devices make it more difficult for developers to troubleshoot and code for all of them. Palm and Apple have that market cornered because they control the hardware they release their OS on, which means uniformity of coding (except for the Pixi... wth is that thing?!). Secondly, and hopefully a quick solve with FroYo, not enough space for these games. Some of them can be up too 200 mb, which is more than my Hero has available with NOTHING installed. It's going to get better with the Evo and it's 1gb but still, that's a few games at best (depending on how the file size structure is going to be with these games, it's smaller on iPhone OS than webOS).

Just hope Gameloft starts developing FOR REAL on Android. Everyone else will follow...

curthibbs

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Fine with me

That's fine with me, I could care less about games. If that's the only major drawback then it looks like I'm good to go -- Evo here I come!

yazman666

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Well that is totally true if there is one step andriod needs to take is into gaming ..for sure it sucks...the reasons we all know diff OS versions, different harware specs but the common factor :" crapy games" the issue with the flash memory (rom) i mean the developers are tied up and forced to code in small just because the androide powered phones ..all of them lack of rom..im not an expert..not even close but why can the androide devices just do like iphones that u have the available space to install whatever u want , apps, videos, games or pics. The answer : I have no idea> can someone clarify this incognita for me pls...

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I purchased a Samsung Instinct and it's far from a iphone killer. I want to see the EVO in some head to head test against the iphone 4g before I decide to get it over the iphone.

Exstatica

May 3, 2010
www.exstatica.net
I almost went to Verizon for the Droid, that was until Sprint unveiled the EVO. I like Sprint. Great prices, great coverage, data network is solid, and customer service is amazing (they've really fixed it up).

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Welcome...

A few things to consider, the Android system is relatively new to the game. More importantly, it is lacking a key component that the iPhone OS has firmly taken hold of (with the Palm webOS coming in a close second): Gaming!

Android gaming is AWFUL. Sure, there are a few gems out there, things to pass the time... but nothing kick-ass like the iPhone. There are a few limitations right now... OpenGL drivers are kind of all over the place. That's a problem when you have multiple hardware makers developing Android. Different specs for different devices make it more difficult for developers to troubleshoot and code for all of them. Palm and Apple have that market cornered because they control the hardware they release their OS on, which means uniformity of coding (except for the Pixi... wth is that thing?!). Secondly, and hopefully a quick solve with FroYo, not enough space for these games. Some of them can be up too 200 mb, which is more than my Hero has available with NOTHING installed. It's going to get better with the Evo and it's 1gb but still, that's a few games at best (depending on how the file size structure is going to be with these games, it's smaller on iPhone OS than webOS).

Just hope Gameloft starts developing FOR REAL on Android. Everyone else will follow...

In the meantime, that's what the iPod Touch is for. It plays every game the iPhone does, and you're not killing your phone battery with the power-zapping graphics. You could even tether your iPod to your Evo making it basically an iPhone, and still pay nearly half the price you would at AT&T (or Verizon when they get it).

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Welcome...

Thanks for the input, but I should point out that gaming is a very small sliver of what I am looking for in my next smartphone. When I am using my phone I like to read the news, watch tv, listen to the radio, and surf the web. My current phone can do all these things as well as a few other tricks, but it does none of them very well. My next phone must be able to do all these things, have turn by turn navigation as I use it for my job, and it would be nice to have a large selection of apps to download. If I am lucky it will be able to accomplish all this, work flawlessly, and satisfy my insatiable appetite for news, information, and some entertainment.

I'm in the same boat. I purchased a Samsung Instinct and it's far from a iphone killer. I want to see the EVO in some head to head test against the iphone 4g before I decide to get it over the iphone.

I dunno about you, but part of my motivation to leave Sprint was the very fact that they joined Samsung in marketing this phone as something that can compete with an iphone, and that is far from the truth. I hate how it lags sometimes between screens, runs slowly, browser crashes in the beginning, virtually no 3rd party apps etc. About the only thing it does somewhat well is the GPS navigation, but when it loses signal it refuses to reestablish it until you restart the navigation program. Even though I am always on the lookout for another phone, this is my first phone that I feel fully dissatisfied with due to its issues. It looks like I am not the only one in this boat.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I like games but not the 3D games on phones. I find most 3D games repetitive and hard to play anyway. Full touch screens are just not great for controlling most of them. I have an iPod Touch and have tried several and they are all pretty boring to control and play. At least all the free ones I tried but I am sure there are good ones as well don't get me wrong. It is just not a major thing to me. I am really into the cool apps/utilities myself.

I would like a good Mini Golf (not even 3D) and maybe stunt car type (lots of front person view ramps etc...) of one but not a deal breaker. Driving games seem to be the best to control using the device itself as a steering wheel.

Anyway as long as there are good card and puzzle type of games, they are the best thing to have on a phone anyway, the Evo will be great as Android seems to have tons already!

I already found a good Mahjong game so I am already happy!
Mahjong for Android

I am still looking for a good game of "GO" for it.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I use the emulators and kick it old school. They take up little space on the sd card.

You are right, I just checked and there is indeed a MAME emulator for Android!!!

You simply cannot beat the original Asteroids, Defender or Galaga!

Oh yea!!!!!!! I have TONS of ROMS! Good times are a comin!! i:)i