Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Yes, another post about phone memory...

    I have a non-rooted Evo 4g, which I love! However, for the last month I've had the "Low on Space" message pop up at least a couple times a week.

    This is what I've already done to troubleshoot:
    * Moved every app possible to the SD card
    * Deleted 300+ photos, though they only added up to 1MB
    * Uninstalled Maildroid because I couldn't figure out a way to deleted the trashed emails. Am currently using K9.
    * Deleted numerous apps on the SD card to free up more space
    * Cleared caches
    * Cleared data on some apps where that has been really big.

    Despite all this, I still continue to get the low space message. And it will randomly pop up, so it's not like I just downloaded an app or took a bunch of video. In fact this week I went from 50 to 40 MB free without downloading any new apps.

    Is there any way to tell what is taking up the memory on my phone? At this point anything I delete will be a core app that I use all the time (or bloatware that I can't get rid of). I've been avoiding rooting my phone, but this may set me over the edge...
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Yes, another post about phone memory...

    1. photos etc. are on the SD card so that is not going to help.
    2. how many apps do you have installed?
    3. consider switching to Gmail or HTC Mail which will let you limit the number of synced emails. OR use your own app to change this setting.
    4. consider a factory reset with manual restore which may free up some memory if you applied a major OS update.
    5. go into each bloatware App including News, Weather, Sprint Zone, etc. and remove sync items.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Yes, another post about phone memory...

    Thanks Gekko. Not sure if any of these answers could shed more light for other suggestions.

    2. I have 84 apps installed
    3. I use Gmail for personal, but work in a small office and K9 is the only one that I've been able to sync with our email server. Changed the settings to reduce the number of emails it syncs to see if that helps.
    4. May just have to do this... went from Froyo to Gingerbread and it seems like that's when the memory problems really started surfacing.
    5. That's in Settings:Accounts & Sync, right? Been doing that from very early on.

    Guess over Labor Day weekend I might be learning how to do the manual restore.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Yes, another post about phone memory...

    Quote Originally Posted by tfviola View Post
    Thanks Gekko. Not sure if any of these answers could shed more light for other suggestions.

    2. I have 84 apps installed
    3. I use Gmail for personal, but work in a small office and K9 is the only one that I've been able to sync with our email server. Changed the settings to reduce the number of emails it syncs to see if that helps.
    4. May just have to do this... went from Froyo to Gingerbread and it seems like that's when the memory problems really started surfacing.
    5. That's in Settings:Accounts & Sync, right? Been doing that from very early on.

    Guess over Labor Day weekend I might be learning how to do the manual restore.
    1. you have 84 "core" apps? that's a lot. i would reevaluate what you consider "core".
    2. yes - reduce each email Folder to sync only the past 4 days or less rather than sync every single email that's in that Folder on the home mail server.
    3. bloatware - go into each app's settings are uncheck the things it syncs. for instance - in Sprint Zone and News/Weather - uncheck all of the boxes and make the update/sync frequency "Never" or "Manual".
  5. #5  
    k425's Avatar

    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

    Default Re: Yes, another post about phone memory...

    Here's the bug from what I've seen. The HTC Mail app keeps growing and growing in size even after you delete your account. For me the Clear Data option has been grayed out and the only way to delete the +20mb of data is to a factory data reset. Hopefully the update out today fixes this issue along with the continual re-loading of Sense.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Yes, another post about phone memory...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. you have 84 "core" apps? that's a lot. i would reevaluate what you consider "core".
    Did I mention I love my phone?
    Seriously though, I use about 50 of those 84 apps at least once a week. And out of those 50 apps, I use about 30 of them almost every day.

    From other posts I've read 84 apps on a phone is really not a lot, so can't imagine that's the only thing that is chewing up my memory...
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Yes, another post about phone memory...

    *raises hand too*

    I suppose as these new phones with huge internal memory keep arriving, app2sd support isn't going to be a huge developer priority.

    But for Pete sake, FB, can you and your 25MB of data not move to the SD card by now? Sheesh...
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE- > HTC Evo / BB Bold > Nexus S 4G
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tfviola View Post
    I have a non-rooted Evo 4g, which I love! However, for the last month I've had the "Low on Space" message pop up at least a couple times a week.

    This is what I've already done to troubleshoot:
    * Moved every app possible to the SD card
    * Deleted 300+ photos, though they only added up to 1MB
    * Uninstalled Maildroid because I couldn't figure out a way to deleted the trashed emails. Am currently using K9.
    * Deleted numerous apps on the SD card to free up more space
    * Cleared caches
    * Cleared data on some apps where that has been really big.

    Despite all this, I still continue to get the low space message. And it will randomly pop up, so it's not like I just downloaded an app or took a bunch of video. In fact this week I went from 50 to 40 MB free without downloading any new apps.

    Is there any way to tell what is taking up the memory on my phone? At this point anything I delete will be a core app that I use all the time (or bloatware that I can't get rid of). I've been avoiding rooting my phone, but this may set me over the edge...
    It's all about the internal storage. Out of those 80+ apps you have, your gonna have to get rid of some that are eating up the internal memory. The phone has limits. Suggestions about deleting emails and texts help as well, but you have to keep the internal memory up. If not you will always have the issue.
  9. #9  
    Treesham's Avatar

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

    Default Re: Yes, another post about phone memory...

    Quote Originally Posted by EvoJumper View Post
    It's all about the internal storage. Out of those 80+ apps you have, your gonna have to get rid of some that are eating up the internal memory. The phone has limits. Suggestions about deleting emails and texts help as well, but you have to keep the internal memory up. If not you will always have the issue.
    no, it's not. it's about something much different.

    there is, without question, a problem with a memory leak. it is happening with too many phones. i can delete apps all day long, but within a few days, my memory will be worse than it ever was.

    i am down to core apps. if i delete them, i am screwed, and until the leak is fixed on this now no-longer-a-priority phone, i can never get them back.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Yes, another post about phone memory...

    i think HTC/Sprint really skimped on internal memory on the EVO. hopefully this will be resolved with future devices ie the EVO HD.
  11. #11  
    jrun's Avatar

    Posts
    301 Posts
    ROM
    Miui

    Default Re: Yes, another post about phone memory...

    Known Memory Leak Issue for EVO 4G -- Anyone seen this?

    EVO3D - Miui
  12. #12  
    Dark_Blu's Avatar

    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    ROM
    iOS 5

    Default Re: Yes, another post about phone memory...

    Quote Originally Posted by jrun View Post
    Known Memory Leak Issue for EVO 4G -- Anyone seen this?

    Sure, they're aware of it. I'm willing to bet that the EVO 3D doesn't have any memory leak issue, does it? if not, then I call BS and that the memory leak was CAUSED to inspire us to buy an EVO 3D. There is probably no evidence of this to prove it, but it strikes me as odd that the EVO was a rock solid stable phone until the Gingerbread update, then came the lag, soft reboots, and out of memory warning messages. I don't have enough apps on my phone to be causing this. I've moved every app that would move to the SD card. This is ridiculous. Sure, I could root and not have this problem, but if I brick the phone, then what? And why should I HAVE to root my phone just to get it to work the way it did BEFORE the Gingerbread update. The only advantage I see to Gingerbread is slightly better battery life. SENSE still sucks and nothing else that's useful, is happening.
    If you listen to heavy rock music, come hear the tunes at link below:
    http://www.reverbnation.com/darkblu

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

B