1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Front Facing Camera

Ok....might be dumb question, but how do I use the front camera...and is it only for video? Can't find the guide that came with my Evo 4g, so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!

I'm new to Android and surprised at how difficult this OS is compared to webOS which has gone the way of Betamax, ca. 1978, even though it's in a class well above the rest.

Pre Central was a HUGE help for webOS enthusiasts and I hope Android Central will be the same....

Thanks for any help you all can offer!

Couch

Default Re: Front Facing Camera

You actually have a guide on your Evo - go to Applications, HTC Mobile Guide. Your front facing camera is useful for video conferencing. They see you, you see them, etc. I know what you mean - I also came from the Pre and while I really, really like the Evo, I still miss the superiority of the WebOS. It was an awesome OS. In time I think you will like the Evo. And, yes this is a very helpful forum.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks....so only video conferencing, huh? Guess that's better than nothing. I assume it works with Skype? I'll try it with Fring first. Thanks for the help!

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

You can also use it for pictures if you are in the camera you can go to the settings on the tab with the two gears the first option lets you change from the main camera to the front facing one. Other than that and video conferencing I don't know any other uses for it?

Global Posts
    404 Global Posts

As on any phone with a front-facing camera, its main purpose is for video chat. Any app that supports video chats should default to using the front-facing camera when you begin video chat. How to switch cameras within those apps would depend on the app.

For the built-in camera app, you can take pictures and record videos with the front-facing camera, if you're so inclined. Just press the arrow, as Ginbill mentioned, to get to the settings.

I would think that if you're using the front-facing camera for pictures, you're probably taking self-portraits. And perhaps record videos of yourself similar to you would with webcams on your computer for video. I've used it to record videos of my baby nephew, who loves to see himself appear on the screen.

How else could you use a front-facing camera, besides pictures and video? I guess that would depend on some creative app developers.

If you wanna take scenery shots with a front facing camera it must be over-the-shoulder. What were they thinking???