Help for the mathematically challenged . . .

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
No no, that means because you get the $150 rebate, the price lands up being 200.

Don't get your hopes up getting the Evo for fiddy buggs! ;)

djdisturbed

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
no, you get it for $200, thats the price after the discount w/ your 2 year contract b/c they have already made the $ back by then that they subsidized your old phone for

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
No no, that means because you get the $150 rebate, the price lands up being 200.

Don't get your hopes up getting the Evo for fiddy buggs! ;)

NO. $200 is for NEW Sprint customers. You'd get $150 off the price (which I think is $600). So you'd get it for $450.

Ah, loyalty to customers. :mad:

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
NO. $200 is for NEW Sprint customers. You'd get $150 off the price (which I think is $600). So you'd get it for $450.

It will still be $200. There is an "instant savings discount" and a mail-in rebate. A current customer's $75 or $150 discount is built into the "instant savings discount."

Sprint can not afford to p***-off existing customer's, who are out of contract, by charging them $450. They would lose far more people than they already are to the iPhone ver. 4.0 or the Droid Incredible, etc.

Last edited:

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I have been with Sprint for a long time already. Back when I got my Sprint Touch it only worked out to be around 199 and I was upgrading. When I upgraded to my Pre I only paid 199, and I talked to Sprint a while ago and yes, it will again only cost $199. I have a business account, so no matter if I go to a Sprint store, or to Best Buy or to Radio Shack, I will NEVER have to do the mail in rebates. I have two lines on my business account, but unfortunately only the primary line (luckily, that's me) gets to upgrade every year, my partner has to either pay full price now and get the upgrade deal next year (since we both got Pres at the same time) or he can get one now but only gets a measly 75 bucks off, so he'd have to pay 525 plus tax. I think we'll just pay full price for him because of the bigger savings next year.

The lady that I talked to at Sprint said that they do make exceptions for certain customers and that they might let him upgrade early. We'll see. Either way, what's another 400 bucks, right? lol

Marty1781

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

No, this is fortunately not correct. If you are eligible for a full upgrade, you will get either $150 off the unsubsidized price or you will get the new customer price (which may include mail-in rebates and/or instant discounts in addition to the $150 off). Whichever discount is greater is the one you will get. If you are only eligible for the one year upgrade, then it will be $75 off the unsubsidized price (although BestBuy often offers a better discount than that for 1 yr upgrade scenarios).

Last edited:

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
No, this is fortunately not correct. If you are eligible for a full upgrade, you will get either $150 off the unsubsidized price or you will get the new customer price (which may include mail-in rebates and/or instant discounts in addition to the $150 off). Whichever discount is greater is the one you will get. If you are only eligible for the one year upgrade, then it will be $75 off the unsubsidized price (although BestBuy often offers a better discount than that for 1 yr upgrade scenarios).

That is NOT how it's worked in the past. A friend of mine wanted to buy the Palm Pre when it first came out on Sprint and had the full $150 upgrade. They told her that she could not get it for the $199 price that new customers got but instead for the full price minus $150. Do you have official info that this has changed?

russellpr

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, it sounds like your friend with misinformed by whomever they spoke with. I and several of my coworkers purchased the Pre on launch day for $199 with a new 2 year agreement. What you described is true however, if your contract was only partially expired (1 year of the 2 year agreement). In that case, Sprint will give you a $75 discount, but you were not eligible for the phone's other instant discounts. This is why my wife is still without a Pre. :( You are required to finish your 2 year contract before getting the full bag of goodness again...unless you are a Premier customer...which I am. :)

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Sprint rep here. There are 3 different prices on phones. There is the retail price of the phone that will not renew your contract and then there are two different types of rebates for the phone. There is the $75 rebate (you get that after a year in your contract) and then there is a $150 rebate (you get that after 22 months). Whenever you use any rebate you extend your contract for 2 years and your rebate eligibility resets.

So say the phone is $600 retail if you don't have any discounts and/or don't want to extend your contract you pay $600 for the phone. If you have a $75 rebate the phone becomes $525 and you have a 2 year contract and you don't get a mail in rebate. Now the term $150 rebate means "full rebate/maximum." Why? Because most smartphones actually have a bigger rebate than $150, but you still qualify for the full discount/lowest price possible. So if Sprint advertises the phone as $200 (with a $100 mail in rebate) you get $300 instant savings and $100 in the mail so your net price is $200 (with a 2 year contract). New customers get the full discount so they pay $300 in the store and get $100 in the mail. Hope that clarifies it for you.

600(retail) - 300(instant) = 300 - 100 (mail in rebate) = 200

O and if you are considered a premier customer which means that you have been with sprint for I believe 11 years or more or have an individual everything data plan or a family everything data plan for 6 months, the primary line on the account gets the full $150 discount after one year vs. 22 months.

Sincere_2010

May 2, 2010
Visit site
O and if you are considered a premier customer which means that you have been with sprint for I believe 11 years or more or have an individual everything data plan or a family everything data plan for 6 months, the primary line on the account gets the full $150 discount after one year vs. 22 months.

So Fry8. I am a Premier customer and I am eligible for the $150 discount. But my 2yr contract is not up until Nov. 2011. Will I have the ability to sign a new 2 yr contract when I purchase the Evo to get the additional rebates? Is it even necessary?

$600 - $150 = $450

* I do not think a premier customer should have to spend that much??!!!

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
So Fry8. I am a Premier customer and I am eligible for the $150 discount. But my 2yr contract is not up until Nov. 2011. Will I have the ability to sign a new 2 yr contract when I purchase the Evo to get the additional rebates? Is it even necessary?

$600 - $150 = $450

* I do not think a premier customer should have to spend that much??!!!

If you are a premier member and are the main line on the account you should be eligible within a year of your last upgrade. It is possible that maybe you returned a device and your eligibility did not get reset or perhaps you have multiple lines on the account and someone used your upgrade for the other line? I don't know exactly what happened, but if you simply upgraded your phone and are the primary line on the account you should be up for the $150 rebate.

To answer your second part, if you are not eligible for the $150 you can't just extend your contract and get $150 off the phone. If you were eligible for the $150 you would get the phone for the lowest price with a 2 year which would say be $200.

If you are considered a premier customer and are not the main line you can get it switched over so you would get the rebate, but it will take 3 billing cycles.

Marty1781

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
That is NOT how it's worked in the past. A friend of mine wanted to buy the Palm Pre when it first came out on Sprint and had the full $150 upgrade. They told her that she could not get it for the $199 price that new customers got but instead for the full price minus $150. Do you have official info that this has changed?

There is no info on a "change" because no change has occurred. For as long as I can remember (and I've been with Sprint since 2000), it has been the policy of Sprint that as long as you are 22+ months into your contract, you are eligible for the new customer price (which includes the $150 discount and other rebates). The new customer price is always the price that I have gotten when renewing my contract every 2 years. As fry8 pointed out, the '$150 rebate/discount' can include other discounts/rebates (in addition to the $150 off) for customers that are 22+ months into their contract. Unfortunately, your friend was badly misinformed by that Sprint rep.

Last edited:

bdarknessb

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
It will most likely be $599.99 - $150.00(instant saving) -$150.00(Upgrade) - $100(Rebate) = $199.99(Final Cost)

Because if i log onto my sprint account, it says I'm eligible for $150.00 upgrade, and when i go look at the phones, for example the Palm Pixi, $349.99 (regular) - $150.00 (upgrade) - $199.99 (instant saving) = Free.

Last edited:

RedWings

May 9, 2010
Visit site
In the past when I upgrade w/Sprint they give me the price you see online. Call it the 'new customer' price or whatever, but thats what you will pay when you are eligible for an upgrade w/2 year agreement.

Sprint would be stupid to not do it that way.