WTF? Airplane mode?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I am so confused. I turned on airplane mode for a measely 90 minute flight today (I am running CM7 but that shouldn't matter). During that 90 minutes in the air (with the phone in my pocket, not being used), I went from 90% battery to 30% battery.

The battery usage says most of the usage was just standby and idle phone usage.

What the hell? I've never had the battery drain like that. I of course charged it back up as soon as I got to my hotel and went all day with it being pretty much normal.

Anyone know what's going on? Why in God's name would airplane mode cause the battery to drain that fast?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you have a rogue application that kept polling for data during airplane mode.

Did you also turn GPS off? They operate independently.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you have a rogue application that kept polling for data during airplane mode.

Did you also turn GPS off? They operate independently.

No on the GPS. Airplane mode doesn't turn GPS off? I thought it turned off everything? Oops....my bad.

Regardless, I never turn GPS off and don't have that kindof drain (since it operates on satellite anyways, it shouldn't matter as I'd have a signal on the airplane), and with airplane mode on, my maps or weather apps/widgets shouldn't be polling for that data based on my location rapidly changing, right?

Any way to track down the rogue app? If it was, wouldn't it show up in the battery stats? All that was in there was "idle" and "standby" with nothing else.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Granted concerning GPS. As far as the rogue app is concerned, if it was malfunctioning it may not have shown up in the list.

Without more information about what apps are on your phone or the conditions, it's impossible to say what could have caused it.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Granted concerning GPS. As far as the rogue app is concerned, if it was malfunctioning it may not have shown up in the list.

Without more information about what apps are on your phone or the conditions, it's impossible to say what could have caused it.

Thanks. Not sure how to troubleshoot it, but something appears to be drastically wrong now so maybe the airplane mode was just coincidence. I started at 100% battery this morning, and 2.5 hours later I'm sitting at 16% and I haven't really even touched my phone.

Battery stats only list Cell Standby (34% with 0% time without a signal), Idle (28%), Wi-Fi 17% and then Dsiplay and Android System using up the rest.

Standby seems high to me, but I don't know what's considered normal. I would think just having the screen off sitting in my pocket would be "Idle" time and not "standby" time....especially since I'm at 0% time without a signal.

Maybe it's one of the following (all relatively new things I just started using, but all are popular apps/widgets):
1) TripIt, but I can't see how that would be using anything. No widget...just an app.
2) Fancy Widgets (widget is set to refresh every 2 hours)
3) Advanced Clock Widget (polls for new temperature every 2 hours)

None of those show up in my battery usage though, but I guess I could try removing the 2 widgets from the screen and see if it helps at all.

Trying rebooting my phone to see if something is stuck that I can't see. Or maybe my battery just went bad. There's a Radio Shack downstairs....maybe I'll swing by and get a new battery.

Last edited:

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help. I would suggest uninstalling the last few apps and then reinstalling them one at a time over the course of a few days and seeing if the problem persists/reappears.

Before spending money on a new battery, it's more likely that a poorly-written or poorly-configured app or widget is causing the problem. I'd uninstall stuff first and see how that affects things.

Oh, and the usage percentages are just that: battery usage totals 100%, no matter what is running. So the fact that a particular process has a higher percent than another doesn't necessarily mean that it is a problem. Plus, widgets don't show up in the usage stats.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay