Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Evo Plans: Requires extra for 4G and hotspot? Ugh.

I hope this isn't true and they either have incorrect info or are misreading it:
    HTC Evo 4G Expensive To Own, Sprint Leaks New Packages

* Special plans are being created for the HTC EVO 4G because it is the first dual mode 3G/4G phone offered by Sprint.

* The Sprint Mobile Hotspot feature, which is explained in detail in the New Apps section of this course, requires an attachable plan code. This code carries a monthly recurring charge. The cost of this plan and the code itself will be revealed at a later time closer to the launch of the HTC EVO 4G.

So now it looks like HTC Evo 4G buyers may need to pay separately for voice, 3G data, 4G/WiMax data

That was widely shot down on another forum. I have no confidence in Sprint's decisions but I'm confident they wouldn't do that.

Only 3 more days 'till all is answered.
    Evo4G. Now with more Internet.

Global Posts
    4,566 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Ozcar is at it again! :rolleyes:

That would be a nice way for Sprint to shoot itself in the food. I really hope it isn't true though, I'd rather stay with my current plan.

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

I think it is widely believed that 4G will be built into current cell phone data plans. Since 4G is still growing, I doubt they would charge extra for it right now. Plus, it would be a great marketing chance for Sprint and a way for them to get new customers, which they need to do.

As far as the mobile hotspot goes, charging for that makes sense. It isn't a widely needed feature, but people who really need it will pay for it. The big question is what is it going to cost per month? I have heard any where from $10-$40/month.

i thought it was only extra if your wanted the hotspot. isnt it no extra charge for 4g

This was supposedly from an internal e-mail to Sprint employees concerning training. I posted in another thread that I believe if the plan prices are the same as AT&T's for the iPhone that Sprint should be prepared to lose quite a few subscribers.

Sprint doesn't have the clout to start charging these higher price ala carte line items. I do think that they will charge 10 to 40 for the hotspot, but the 4g/3g will be the same price as it is now. I know 4g isn't in my area and probably won't be for a long while. Right now Sprint needs a great device with a great price and a better plan than Verizon or AT&T. They need to lure people away, not match what those other carriers are doing. Sprint still has a small imprint and needs to grow and change the attitude of what people think they are. Sprint has changed for the positive in the last few years, but they are being judged by the past. They need a great device at a great price for the phone and a great plan at a reasonable price. This is just my opinion.

The EVO will quickly be the RETRO if plans change other than a modest extra ($10-$20) for adding hotspot..

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic205 View Post
    The EVO will quickly be the RETRO if plans change other than a modest extra ($10-$20) for adding hotspot..
    Exactly right. I hope someone from Sprint is reading this as I had my mind set to drop Sprint for the iphone this June when my contract expires. I will do just that if the EVO plans are nearly or completely identical in cost to the iphone plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett636 View Post
    Exactly right. I hope someone from Sprint is reading this as I had my mind set to drop Sprint for the iphone this June when my contract expires. I will do just that if the EVO plans are nearly or completely identical in cost to the iphone plans.
    I doubt Sprint will get anywhere near the astronomical price iPhone users pay for their plans
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,099 Global Posts

I thought that picture looked familiar. Even after they cut our watermark out of it

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint...monthly-charge

I don't say this very often, but the next person to link to that site gets a kick in the shins. It should NOT be taken as a credible source.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4,566 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Hm, I wonder what they mean by "special plan" though. I am hoping it's just for the hotspot functionality and that 4G really doesn't cost more. Oh well, there is no 4G in my area yet, so if anything, I will be using it just as I am using my Pre, so that should mean my plan remains the same.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,984 Global Posts

How much extra is the WiFi hotspot?

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln511 View Post
    How much extra is the WiFi hotspot?
    Not official yet, but supposedly between $10-$20.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

dunno abut the rules, but rooting your phone when it's available will allow you to do hotpotting w/out charge.. right?

Nothing's been said one way or the other about an added fee for WiMAX, but I doubt it. The screenshots posted a while back only indicate the EVO will have its own 4G plan because it's the first device of its kind. They also show there will be an extra charge for the WiFi hotspot feature. Sprint would be foolish to charge extra for 4G on the phone itself.

I was told that new plans have to be created simply so that the hotspot feature can be added to WiMax phones only. These plans have the same rate as existing plans, but are only available for the EVO until other WiMax phones come into existence. I said goodbye to SERO long ago, so I'll deal with it lol.

Of course it wasn't Dan Hesse who told me, so who knows. Well besides Ozcar, of course
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4,566 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah, the all knowing Ozcar....

So, does that mean we have to change plans only if we want the hotspot feature?

Grr, I just changed my plan and it is going to save me like a thousand bucks a year, I hope I don't have to change again!

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    So, does that mean we have to change plans only if we want the hotspot feature?

Grr, I just changed my plan and it is going to save me like a thousand bucks a year, I hope I don't have to change again!
    You'll have to change plan if you want the EVO, even without the hotspot feature. Just keep your fingers crossed that they don't charge more for them.

Dan Hesse already said that they were not charging more for 4g, they prolly have to put you on a new plan in there system so that you get access to the 4g system. but they will prob. charge extra for the "hot spot" feature, that wll prob be only like $10/ month like it is currently for tethering (Phone As A Modem) feature that you can do on other phones
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,984 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Not official yet, but supposedly between $10-$20.
    That's not too bad.

I would not be a happy camper [and may not become a Sprint customer] if they decide to start these "additional fees" policy. I can't believe that they would go to great lengths to draw potential customers from other carriers with top-notch gear and "all inclusive" plans, just to hit them with additional charges.

They can't be that dumb. Or can they?

I have a feeling it will just be a fee if you want the 'hotspot' option but the 4G will be included in the current prices.

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

I don't think Sprint can possibly charge for 4G vs. 3G. If you have 4G at say, work in your town but not home, it would not be manageable. When 3G rolled out, Sprint didn't charge differently than for 2G. Sprint claims WiMAX is cheaper to operate in the end. If that's the case, they shouldn't be charging more. And by moving users to 4G, it offloads usage on the 3G network, which is at capacity in many areas.

When Sprint's 3G/4G laptop cards first appeared, they made a mistake charging $20 more/month than 3G only cards. They finally fixed that and is now the same rate. I wouldn't put it past Sprint to make the same mistake twice but I don't think it will happen.

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by xenophon View Post
    I don't think Sprint can possibly charge for 4G vs. 3G. If you have 4G at say, work in your town but not home, it would not be manageable. When 3G rolled out, Sprint didn't charge differently than for 2G. Sprint claims WiMAX is cheaper to operate in the end. If that's the case, they shouldn't be charging more. And by moving users to 4G, it offloads usage on the 3G network, which is at capacity in many areas.

When Sprint's 3G/4G laptop cards first appeared, they made a mistake charging $20 more/month than 3G only cards. They finally fixed that and is now the same rate. I wouldn't put it past Sprint to make the same mistake twice but I don't think it will happen.
    Evo training started today at spint. The Evo will have a special rate plan with sprint and there will be an additional charge to have the wifi hotspot. My buddy at sprint said they won't officially release this info until a couple weeks prior to the release.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast