$10 extra charge mandatory?

Mitalis

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
I guess one plus for us 3G only customers with the $10 charge would be that it's 3G with no data caps, or so engadget reports:

Sprint selling HTC EVO 4G on June 4 for $199 -- Engadget

that would be a good thing IMO, not worth 10 bucks, but I'm trying to make the charge look not quite as bad.

Sprint advertises "unlimited 3G" with the everything data plans so for us users with no 4G coverage, we'd be paying more for nothing....

hampstenj

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Sprint advertises "unlimited 3G" with the everything data plans so for us users with no 4G coverage, we'd be paying more for nothing....

Damn just when I had gotten over the anger... Oh well maybe living 100 miles from STL we'll get 4G here next year... I can always dream right :p

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Why can't Sprint get things right for once??

And, I bet that extra $10 won't be eligible for all of our corporate discounts! I love Sprint's service but sometimes I think they are trying to fail. Sure, a lot of us geeks will fork over the $120/year but the VAST majority of consumers will walk into a Sprint store and when they find out it will cost them more for the same plan they will totally blow the EVO off.

geneva54

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Im very happy with the 3G speed so the 4G and the extra $10 per month seems like a waste. I even have my notebook tethered to my Hero and have been very happy with the performance. Personally I would prefer not to add another $10.00 per month on my family plan of 5 people......it all adds up to a bigger bill.

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
what a joke. Did not expect this from sprint. Do they really expect the 80 percent of their customers that don't live in a 4g area to pay an extra 120 dollars a year when they're not receiving anymore out of their plan. I can say for a fact that they lost at least two buyers (me and my brother) if they do not make this optional.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
It's still cheaper than any other comparable plan on other carriers right now.

I just don't see the reason people would "jump ship" from Sprint.

I wouldn't jump ship, but simply keep my Pre or get another Sprint phone over the summer (Moment2, Hero2)

dwightshrute

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Or think of it as a fee to help them expand their 4G network to places where it doesn't currently exist. Sprint is already dirt cheap as it is, so even with the $10 fee it still makes them a very competitive option. These guys have to start making some money if anyone wants them to keep investing in their network.

I agree 100% with Cory on this one. No matter how you look at it, the price for 4g data is hands down cheaper and a better value than what you get for 3g with all of Sprint's competitors. I think I posted somewhere earlier that if it's that big of a deal to you and you have insurance on your phone, why not drop the $7 insurance plan and pay $3 more to have 4g? I've been with Sprint for 7 years and have never really had any equipment issues that they couldn't resolve in-store without going through the claims and stuff that you'd have to do with the insurance. Oh and btw, if you were running the company you'd charge the same thing to make some money!! I think that $10 is the sweet spot, not too low and not too high, but just right to get people to go ahead and make the decision easier.

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
Can't believe people are getting all bent over 10 bucks. So you have to give up 1 1/2 cocktails out at the bar, or 2 packs of cigarettes a week.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
What sprint doesn't seem to get, is if 4G was included in the data plan then they will get more customers to sign new contracts. Instead they are squeezing what they can out of people, and it looks like they have just killed the hype, which is not what they need to do.

From all I have seen about "adding" 4G towers, is you drop a small box down and add a few extra gadgets onto existing towers. It is much more expensive to expand 3G coverage. It should be absolutely included in the cost. I would almost prefer the Incredible at this point just so I don't have to deal with this hassle.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
One thing that seems to be missing from this discussion is this:

Because the phone has a faster processor, a huge 4.3 inch screen and an 8 megapixel camcorder/camera, we expect you will be using a lot more data than you would with our other devices.

So they are not just charging $10 extra a month for 4G, they are charging the $10 extra because they expect this phone to be a data hog, regardless of which network you are connecting to.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yes I know, but I could use that $120 to pay off my student loans, instead of paying it to sprint for no apparent reason. Unless I can actually use 4G in my area it is the same as increasing the cost of my plan by $10/mo, which I do not like very much. It makes me hesitate getting the phone, which could cause Sprint to lose more customers.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
One thing that seems to be missing from this discussion is this:

So they are not just charging $10 extra a month for 4G, they are charging the $10 extra because they expect this phone to be a data hog, regardless of which network you are connecting to.

So they are hoping to avoid what is happening to AT&T. I get it, but then they need to stay that the $10 option gives you unlimited data usage and access to 4G. That is a difference. And as far as I understand it right now, I have unlimited data on my Everything data plan. So something has changed in the fine print somewhere.

dre3k2

May 13, 2010
Visit site
According to Phone Scoop, the $10 premium add-on has the benefit of no data cap for either WiMAX or 3G connections.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I will probably still get the phone, because I am getting annoyed at my Pre, but still, they needed to explain what the premium charge is and explain to me why I care. I am on wifi 90% of the time, and if I go over my data cap, charge me for it. The most I have ever used on my Pre, is like 500MB. Wifi networks exist all over. I would wager that if you work in an office, or at home you have a wifi network. I know we have one at school where I spend most of my time, not to mention in hospitals where I will spend most of my time. I think it should be an optional upgrade to uncap your data plan and give access to 4G. Or just plain give uncapped data and give everyone access to 4G. Again, it is forcing me to buy something I don't need.

It is very similar to requiring an unlimited voice plan because a phone will be popular with teenage girls who talk a lot.