$10 extra charge mandatory?

Mitalis

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
I just read the Sprint PR and it says that there's a "10 premium data addon for the HTC EVO 4G."

I sincerely hope that fee applies only to those whom have 4G coverage; otherwise charging customers $10 extra a month for nothing (where there's only 3G coverage) is a slap in the face.

Edit: Here's the PR: http://newsreleases.sprint.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=127149&p=irol-newsArticle_newsroom&ID=1426178

Edit #2: AndroidCentral is confirming the $10 add-on is optional if you want the 4G service: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-do-you-feel-about-evo-4g-pricing

Edit #3: Ok what the hell... Now I'm getting conflicting information.. According to John Taylor, spokesperson for Sprint/Nextel for public policy issues, he's claiming the charge is mandatory. He states:

There have been a TON of questions about this monthly Premium Data charge. I hope this will clear things up.

If you buy the Sprint 4G EVO, you have to pay this $10 charge each month. This is specific to the device. It's not related to whether you are using 3G or 4G. It is required if you have the phone.

Because the phone has a faster processor, a huge 4.3 inch screen and an 8 megapixel camcorder/camera, we expect you will be using a lot more data than you would with our other devices. These features will give you capabilities that have previously never been available on a wireless device and we think they provide a premium experience. (Remember, this is the world's first 3G/4G Android phone.)

Separately, some have asked about the $29 a month hotspot charge. (You can connect up to 8 WiFi-enabled devices to one EVO if you pay that monthly charge -- but this is optional.)

I hope this clears things up. While some don't like it, even with these charges, we're still cheaper than AT&T and Verizon, who's 4G networks exist on some beautifully designed PowerPoint slides. ;-)

Source: http://jbtaylor.posterous.com/more-detail-on-the-sprint-evo-4g-10month-prem

Last edited:

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Just got off the phone sprint, its $10 across the board, no matter 3g, 4g or simply everything plan, think of it as the EVO fee, $10 for owning the device...

Nate#AC

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't the $10 / month charge (in any form) contradict what Dan Hesse said at CTIA in March?

9:33AM "3G’s kind of getting exhausted. I talk to my network guys, and it’s like Scottie in the engine room… ’she’s going as fast as she can!’"

9:34AM With 4G, "because we can produce a gigabyte cheaper, we can offer more to the customer."

9:35AM "It’s like standard def versus high def, but with that analogy, you paid more for the better service. With 4G, we’re giving you more for free."

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Or think of it as a fee to help them expand their 4G network to places where it doesn't currently exist. Sprint is already dirt cheap as it is, so even with the $10 fee it still makes them a very competitive option. These guys have to start making some money if anyone wants them to keep investing in their network.

Mitalis

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Just got off the phone sprint, its $10 across the board, no matter 3g, 4g or simply everything plan, think of it as the EVO fee, $10 for owning the device...

No offense to anybody but that's really F***ing retarded. They need to make an exception for those with no 4G coverage.

If I were to go with the EVO, the Everything data plan I have is $69.99/month + Insurance ($7/month) + $10/month just for the phone? That comes out to $86.99 + taxes! For that price I might as well get the HTC Incredible from Verizon... I'd be paying about the same price when it comes down the plans...

Edit: I wouldn't be debating or complaining about the $10 extra charge if my area were getting 4G but there's no knowing if/when that'll happen in my area.

Last edited:

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
No offense to anybody but that's really F***ing retarded. They need to make an exception for those with no 4G coverage.

If I were to go with the EVO, the Everything data plan I have is $69.99/month + Insurance ($7/month) + $10/month just for the phone? That comes out to $86.99 + taxes! For that price I might as well get the HTC Incredible from Verizon... I'd be paying about the same price when it comes down the plans...

True, however when there is more 4g availability you will be able to use it. I foresee customers (myself included) being able to get it waved with enough hassling...

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to get an answer now. I have a family plan. $10 to the top is doable.
If each phone gets that special pricing it'll be $40 extra a month.

Venessa A. just did a copy & paste for my answer ):

This whole "starting at $69.99" is confusing.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I can see where you're coming from, Mitalis. I think it's a little early to assume this is actually going to be their policy. Hearing that from 1 CS rep doesn't mean anything. They could easily end up waving the $10 based on where you live.

Nate#AC

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm really curious if this $10 / month charge would apply to every phone on a shared/family plan. There's no way I'm going to buy this and extend my contract if it adds $50 / month just for my EVO.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon plan BTW is not the same.
You don't have free mobile to mobile, text is not included in data, unlimited texts are extra as well.

Just got my answer from Venessa A. it will be an additional $10 to the family plan not to each additional line. She did not answer if the $10 is applicable for a Non-4G area.

Somebody else will have to confirm. I still have little confidence in Sprint CS.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You don't have free mobile to mobile, text is not included in data, unlimited texts are extra as well.

Just got my answer from Venessa A. it will be an additional $10 to the family plan not to each additional line. She did not answer if the $10 is applicable for a Non-4G area.

Somebody else will have to confirm. I still have little confidence in Sprint CS.

Nice!

ataneja

May 13, 2010
Visit site

I just spoke to someone at Sprint and they told me the opposite where it is $10/person. Hope I'm wrong...

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
No it doesn't look like everyone will have to pay the extra $10 on the EVO, it's only if you want to use 4G. I got this straight from Sprint's web site:

Quoted on Sprint's web site:

Worry-Free Pricing

HTC EVO 4G will be available in all Sprint retail channels, including Sprint.com and national retail partners, RadioShack, Best Buy and Wal-Mart. Sprint will price the award-winning device at $199.99 with a two-year service agreement and after a $100 mail-in rebate (taxes excluded) with a new line activation or eligible upgrade. Pre-registration is available now at Sprint - HTC EVO™ 4G.

In order to provide the best experience, HTC EVO 4G will use Sprint's industry-leading Everything Data or Business Advantage Messaging and Data plans that include unlimited Web, texting and calling on the Sprint Network to every mobile in America with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM. Everything Data plans start at $69.99 per month. A $10 per month Premium Data add-on will apply allowing customers to take advantage of a richer data experience than ever before.

Additionally, an optional pricing add-on will turn HTC EVO 4G into a mobile hotspot connecting up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices, such as laptops, gaming devices and digital cameras, simultaneously at 4G speeds where available and at 3G speeds anywhere on the Sprint 3G network for just $29.99 per month - half the monthly cost of the current Mobile Broadband plan (pricing excludes surcharges and taxes).

With the Sprint Free Guarantee, customers can take advantage of HTC EVO 4G for 30 days and if not completely satisfied, may return the device within 30 days to get reimbursed for the device purchase and activation fee, get both the early termination and restocking fees waived, and receive a full refund for the monthly service plan charges.

Here's the link again that I got it from:
Sprint | News Release

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
where does it say "only with 4G is it $10", it just says "10 for richer data" to vague unfortunately... I guess we'll just wait till June 4th

Nate#AC

May 7, 2010
Visit site
jam4775, That press release implies that it *IS* mandatory. Notice how it specifically says "optional" for the hotspot feature, but doesn't say optional for the Premium Data add-on.

Finally, this e-mail from Sprint is more clear about it:

Get unlimited Web, texting and calling to every mobile phone in America from the Sprint network with Everything Data plans starting at $69.99/month or Business Advantage/Messaging Data plans starting at $59.99/month, plus a required $10/month Premium Data add-on for the HTC EVO 4G. An optional add-on turns your phone into a mobile hotspot connecting up to 8 devices at 4G speeds for $29.99/month.

It's mandatory.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Although after reading that closer, the words.... "Premium Data add-on will apply". Dose that mean will if you want to use it... or will apply no matter what?

Last edited: