need advice/upsetting best buy launch news

shaungilmer

May 14, 2010
shaungilmer.com
I love my Palm Pre but until HP kicks in their money and adds more features I am going to get the Evo. I will be out of town in Destin Florida and their Best Buy does not have Sprint and the local Sprint store says they are not even sure when they would get any in. I really would like the instant rebate so I'm leaning toward Best Buy and was hoping to pre order it there and pick it up when I get back in town. However I kept getting different answers from BB so I called corporate and they have told me the pre order is just to put you on a waiting list for that specific store to receive one in the order they arrive and does not guarantee you one at launch date and that in fact most stores will not start receiving them until after the 7th and that will be on a random limited basis per store. What should I do I really need a better device and do not want to wait a month or two to get the Evo I am on my 4th replacement Pre.

Last edited:

jamiespeck

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
you should pre order at best buy and if it doesnt show up on release day go to a sprint store and try and see if they will have one in stock.

Sincere_2010

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I doubt very seriously that BB customer Service would have good info for you. You need to ask to speak with the manager of your local store. They will have more solid information for you about inventory levels and shipments.

shaungilmer

May 14, 2010
shaungilmer.com
Try Radio Shack.

well same problem one person says i can pick it up june 4th, another person says they won't get them until middle or late june. in the end none of the stores i called are sure. What ever happened to making at least some of the product be available on the actual release date haha

vudu

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I would heed the warning though...I talked to the person at my Best Buy and she said that the pre-order only guarantees that you will get a phone, but not necessarily one on launch day. There were already 10 people who had ordered ahead of me and she offered that warning without me asking, so I said forget it. Went to Radio Shack instead today and was the first one (went at lunch time), so I'm quite sure that guarantees me one. Additionally, the guy there said that for them, they take pre-orders until their system says they are out of stock, in which case they stop taking pre-orders. Not sure if best buy does the same thing or they'll sign anybody up who walks in. You have been warned...

For the person concerned about when RS would get the phones, on the receipt it states that June 4th is when it is available and that they will hold the phone for you only until the 5th of June.

Last edited:

dre3k2

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I will be out of town in Destin Florida and their Best Buy does not have Sprint...

Destin? Let me know how the beaches are.. I hope the oil spill didnt mess things up too bad. I live on the MS gulf coast, about 2 hours and a half hours from destin, and it smelled like OIL for a few days straight. It was horrible. :(

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Again, "waiting list" vs. "Pre-Order". We may be looking at two different things here.
I asked about pre-ordering the day the Evo was announced. I was told that they're handled individually at each store. Try the manager or a different store.

I was told that pre-orders come before walk-ins, and told I could pick up my phone on launch day. But I was the 1st at the store I went to.
Also try a larger store. When the Palm Pre was launched "larger" stores got more of them.

silvilas

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I also confirmed from a BB employee that pre-orders come before walk-ins. They better cuz I plunked down $50 for a "deposit" in the form of a BB gift card for the EVO. I am also on my 3rd Pre, love the Pre but looking forward to the 4G EVO. Luckily, I am in a 4G area. Can't wait.

shaungilmer

May 14, 2010
shaungilmer.com
I hope its nice down there. I think I might try to wait until I get there the 30th and pre-order at Radio Shack and then pick it up the 4th before I leave the 6th. Just hope they still have it available at that location by the time I get there.

Sinamn2224

May 14, 2010
Visit site
radio shack. Went there today and was their only pre order. They guaranteed pickup on the 4th. If I didn't get it on the 4th or 5th, then I lose out if they're out....plus you get the $20 accessory gift card....and my upgrade eligibility not being til the 1st wasn't an issue either....radio shack all the way.

vudu

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I also confirmed from a BB employee that pre-orders come before walk-ins. They better cuz I plunked down $50 for a "deposit" in the form of a BB gift card for the EVO. I am also on my 3rd Pre, love the Pre but looking forward to the 4G EVO. Luckily, I am in a 4G area. Can't wait.

Yes, pre-orders have priority over walk-ins. The concern that is being brought up is that they may run out of phones for even the pre-orders. So if there are 20 pre-orders but the store only receives 10 phones, then there's going to be 10 very unhappy people who pre-ordered and thought they were guaranteed a phone. That's what my BB said...they are not guaranteeing you will get a phone on the 4th even if you pre-ordered...you are just guaranteed a phone as they get them in.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks