Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogen 7 / Savaged Zen

Default Google Voice

I have seen this asked in other forums but my question is directed at Sprint only. I will be using the Everything data plan paired with my new Evo. I have GV currently and want to start giving out that number when I make the switch to Sprint. Will Sprint be charging minutes for dialing out through GV like other carriers are doing or are the GV numbers recognized as cell numbers?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

When you dial out using GV on an android phone it dials a regional access number to route your call. So outbound GV calls would be seen by Sprint as a landline call.

When someone calls you on your GV number and you answer it on your cell, that incoming call as far as sprint is concerned is just from the originating number, so no change at all with incoming calls.

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

I called and spoke with the Account Services department and told them I wanted to add pick three on my acct or I would not be able to stay with sprint ( I was within my 30 days ). They added it with no problem, but it does cost $5 a month. So I added my google voice access number to my pick 3 and now I have unlimited out going calling.
    Last edited by baggyp; 05-16-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baggyp View Post
    I called and spoke with the Account Services department and told them I wanted to add pick three on my acct or I would not be able to stay with sprint ( I was within my 30 days ). They added it with no problem, but it does cost $5 a month. So I added my google voice number to my pick 3 and now I have unlimited out going calling.
    Did you add your actual GV number or the access number that your phone dials out when it makes a GV call?

Because on android, when you dial out with GV it dials an access number. That is the number you'd need to add to your pick 3, NOT your GV number, unless you plan on manually calling your GV number and making calls that way.

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Did you add your actual GV number or the access number that your phone dials out when it makes a GV call?

Because on android, when you dial out with GV it dials an access number. That is the number you'd need to add to your pick 3, NOT your GV number, unless you plan on manually calling your GV number and making calls that way.
    I added the access number ( I probably should have been more specific ). I actually had to check it twice due to it changed recently.

I'll be doing the same thing. I have been using a grandfathered myFaves plan with GV on Tmo. I was not sure I could add the Pick 3 on Sprint, so I am happy that I still can.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogen 7 / Savaged Zen

Thanks for the info thus far.

This may be a silly question but how do I find out the correct number to add so I can do this the way you are suggesting?

This could really make or break the whole GV experience for me...

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by AJordanWise View Post
    Thanks for the info thus far.

This may be a silly question but how do I find out the correct number to add so I can do this the way you are suggesting?

This could really make or break the whole GV experience for me...

Thanks everyone!
    Basically watch your phone when it makes an outgoing call using GV, it will briefly show the access number it is dialing.

Basically watch your phone when it makes an outgoing call using GV, it will briefly show the access number it is dialing.
    Correct, as far as I know.

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

Are inbound calls considered a cell number or a land-line number? Because with Sprint all in and out calls from or to a mobile number a free on an everything data plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Are inbound calls considered a cell number or a land-line number? Because with Sprint all in and out calls from or to a mobile number a free on an everything data plan.
    When someone calls you on your GV number and you answer it on your cell, that incoming call as far as sprint is concerned is just from the originating number, so no change at all with incoming calls.
    No change with inbound calls, so if they are from mobile numbers they will be free.

Quote Originally Posted by baggyp View Post
    I called and spoke with the Account Services department and told them I wanted to add pick three on my acct or I would not be able to stay with sprint ( I was within my 30 days ). They added it with no problem, but it does cost $5 a month. So I added my google voice access number to my pick 3 and now I have unlimited out going calling.
    baggyp: do mean that you added your google voice access number to your Sprint To Home? I've been reading that pick 3 doesn't exist anymore...

Also (to all), does the access number change very often?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogen 7 / Savaged Zen

This is a good question. Is the pick 3 still an option or has it been discontinued? I have tried searching on this forum and others and can't seem to find any solid answer.

Spring to home would be a valid option though right?

Quote Originally Posted by AJordanWise View Post
    This is a good question. Is the pick 3 still an option or has it been discontinued? I have tried searching on this forum and others and can't seem to find any solid answer.
    Yes and no. Normal customer service can't give it to you. In fact, normal customer service can't even change the numbers on pick 3 if you have it.

I've got it but I've been a customer for about 11 years and had to go through their Account services group to get it and if I ever want to make changes to the number have to go through that group. I was able to get it at no charge to all the lines on my account but others have reported they had to pay a fee for it.

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tre Lawrence View Post
    I'll be doing the same thing. I have been using a grandfathered myFaves plan with GV on Tmo. I was not sure I could add the Pick 3 on Sprint, so I am happy that I still can.
    Chat online with some rep from sprint. there is no more pick 3 on sprint now, but they still have Home phone Service, which you can pay $5/month to set up one landline for unlimited talk.