Evo > computer video chat

ericande

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure this was answered but I can't find it anywhere. Is there a way for you to use the Qik software to have a video chat with someone on a computer, preferably through skype?

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure this was answered but I can't find it anywhere. Is there a way for you to use the Qik software to have a video chat with someone on a computer, preferably through skype?

I may be wrong but it seems the front facing camera uses Qik only.

acc97a

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Qik has a desktop viewing application so someone can view your stream on a desktop PC, but I don't think there is anyway for them to talk back to you.

I'm sure Skype, AOL AIM, Ustream, etc will be building clients soon. Everyone is going to want to get in on the mobile video chat game.

kellte2

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I believe you have to file this into the "only a matter of time" field. There will be apps: google talk has been hinted at more than vaguely, but right now Qik is the only game in town.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The Evo may be the first to have a front camera in the US, but the floodgates have been opened. Pretty much every superphone going forward will have it.
T-Mobile is getting the Galaxy S with front cam (and I think the next Sidekick has one too), the next iPhone has a front cam, a slew of Windows Phones will have it later this year,and so on, and so forth.

Qik happened to partner with Sprint so they got theirs out first. But you can bet there will be tons of video chat apps in the near future.

Last edited:

dre3k2

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm.. couldn't someone technically develop an app for this?

an even better question, could someone develop a new phone dialer that incorporates the video chat feature into it? Let say.. if i have a google chat or a qik account linked to a certain contact, wouldnt it be nice if I had the option to video chat straight from the phone dialer? I've HEARD that you had to go through the qik application to video chat anyone... which is just bad integration if you ask me.

ericande

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Qik has a desktop viewing application so someone can view your stream on a desktop PC, but I don't think there is anyway for them to talk back to you.

I'm sure Skype, AOL AIM, Ustream, etc will be building clients soon. Everyone is going to want to get in on the mobile video chat game.

That's the problem, I got the impression from Qik's website that you can only stream too computers, they can't chat. Using video chat ONLY to others with the evo will make it pretty pointless for most. Hopefully more clients are added quickly. I assume google talk with add video chat to their phones within a few months but I'm not sure skype will come since it seems verizon has an exclusive deal with them.

Chevalier

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
That's the problem, I got the impression from Qik's website that you can only stream too computers, they can't chat. Using video chat ONLY to others with the evo will make it pretty pointless for most. Hopefully more clients are added quickly. I assume google talk with add video chat to their phones within a few months but I'm not sure skype will come since it seems verizon has an exclusive deal with them.

That's what downloading .apks from the internet are for, silly.

mvpilot172

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Google or Yahoo would be great as I use that on my laptop now. I believe I read that all the hardware (front cam included) was already in the developers kit for the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20