Update to Gingerbread

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok, Hi all,

I know this has been asked and answered, and I have searched and read most all the threads on the topic. I am sure everyone is getting tired of the questions as well, however. I have been putting off updating to Gingerbread on my EVO 4G.

This past week I had to order my wife a new phone. She had a Samsug Intercept that she broke. She wanted and EVO like mine, so I ordered her one and it came in and we have it all setup and working. She is very happy with it.

Now for the question:
Her phone came with Gingerbread 2.3.3 and so far it's working great, however now I am seriously wanting to update my phone but I am still worried about messing it up like all the other EVO's I have read about. My phone is still stock, 2.2 and works great but I really do want GB.

So is it safe to update now and how is the best way to do it.

Thanks and sorry for the question that has been asked over and over again.

Please give me your opinions

:-\

batmanxgr

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Do not do it. GB has messed up the phone period. I keep my EVO stock as can be. And every week I need to restart mine because RAM gets to low and sense UI starts resetting after any website visit or running to many apps back to back. Examples...

Go to joystig, autoblog, and engadget websites. Let the pages completely load up. That means scrolling down and up to make sure all images load. Once the website is completely loaded, move to the next one and repeat. Then once your done, tap the capacitive back arrow until the web browser close. On 2.2 the EVO will not reset sense UI. On 2.3. It will. Do about three to four times. 2.3 on the new EVO will take a little longer.

HTC really dropped Tue ball with GB on the EVO.

Reactions: HamRadioNut

Kekoh

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I know the official OTA GB update has caused many problems. If you want GB that doesn't mess up the phone, I would root it and try out cyanogen.

The ammount of customization is MUCH, MUCH greater than Stock. Plus Sense slows the phone down alot, and really only has a few advantages over a vanilla experience.

If you don't want to root, stick with Froyo.

top magoo

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
i keep reading about all the cases of gb messing up evo's... i haven't had any issues with mine and have kept current with the updates.

i do a lot of maintenance on mine to keep the memory clear, messages at a manageable level, emails cleared out, web cache clean, etc...

my daughter, who isn't quite as careful with her available memory, has a lot of issues.

i can only consider these things are more than coincidence.

batmanxgr

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Sense UI reset is a memory issue. But, who is trying to keep messages to a minimal or always clear cache and emails cleared? If anything, people want to keep all messages and emails even, back them up. The EVO w/2.3 works great if you don't install more than 3 apps and never surf the internet, email and any other normal smartphone activity.

tbizzy1985

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had all the updates, and mine is running just fine. I search the net quit a bit, have about 25-30 apps I use on a regular basis. No issues so far at all, knock on wood though because as I'm typing version 4.54?? I think is updating on it now.

Last edited:

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your comments. This is exactly why i'm still afraid to update. Some didn't have any problems, some had problems, some did a factory reset then updated, some didn't. There are just too many variations for these phones to be smart.

When I first got my EVO it had 2.1 on it, and I updated it to 2.2 and didn't have any problems at all. But I have read where people even had problems with the 2.2 update.

So just when will it be ok to update??

Looks like it's the luck of the draw, if you update and don't have problems your one of the lucky ones, if you do have problems.....well then you know what happens.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Kekoh

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your comments. This is exactly why i'm still afraid to update. Some didn't have any problems, some had problems, some did a factory reset then updated, some didn't. There are just too many variations for these phones to be smart.

When I first got my EVO it had 2.1 on it, and I updated it to 2.2 and didn't have any problems at all. But I have read where people even had problems with the 2.2 update.

So just when will it be ok to update??

Looks like it's the luck of the draw, if you update and don't have problems your one of the lucky ones, if you do have problems.....well then you know what happens.

Thanks again for all the comments.

It won't ever be problem-free because the OG EVO has been phased out. There is no more official support, updates, etc. The phone is pretty old now so it's about time for that anyways.

Again, if you want GB badly enough, you can root and flash a GB ROM until your heart is content. Make sure you read up on that before you root, if you are considering it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy