1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Evo 4G Wifi Hotspot won't recognize my laptop

I have a Compaq laptop that is able to sign in on every other wifi I've found, but cannot get through the handshake with my Evo 4G on the Mobile Hotspot (Sprint). I use the EVO as a wifi base every day for iPad, iPhone and a netbook without any problem.

I have sufficient user quantity (3 users) assigned to the EVO.

When it's trying to connect, I get what appears to be the laptop MAC address, not the laptop name, shown on the Evo under the Manage Users page of the EVO Mobile Hotspot. It stays visible as a connected device for about six seconds and then goes out. I've tried it with approved users only and without. I've added that MAC address to the Approved User list as well. No luck

When I initially try to load it, I get a "Connection Timed Out" message on the laptop.

The laptop "diagnose the problem" doesn't come up with anything.

Vista OS on Laptop
    Last edited by reeseburg; 11-08-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Updated use of approved users

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks ICS/ Tiamat 4.1

Quote Originally Posted by reeseburg View Post
    I have a Compaq laptop that is able to sign in on every other wifi I've found, but cannot get through the handshake with my Evo 4G on the Mobile Hotspot (Sprint). I use the EVO as a wifi base every day for iPad, iPhone and a netbook without any problem.

I have sufficient user quantity (3 users) assigned to the EVO.

When it's trying to connect, I get what appears to be the laptop MAC address, not the laptop name, shown on the Evo under the Manage Users page of the EVO Mobile Hotspot. It stays visible as a connected device for about six seconds and then goes out. I've tried it with approved users only and without. I've added that MAC address to the Approved User list as well. No luck

When I initially try to load it, I get a "Connection Timed Out" message on the laptop.

The laptop "diagnose the problem" doesn't come up with anything.

Vista OS on Laptop
    Have you tried to manually connect to the Wifi network? I have this problem on my work wifi network.

Sent from my Decked Out HTC EVO with Tapatalk!

Default Re: Evo 4G Wifi Hotspot won't recognize my laptop

I had to manually set mine up initially as well.

On a side note: Sprint now has a data cap on their Evo 4G Mobile Hotspot service. Currently there is no way for customers to differentiate the unlimited phone data usage from the capped hotspot usage. I saw a post on Sprint's fb page by a customer that was hit with $500 in overage charges. Be careful!