App storage space???

dchamero

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from a Palm Pre, I remember at the beginning, we struggled with App storage space on WebOS, until, after an update, they finally moved the apps partition to the main storage area (after encrypting it).

Now, I have been reading and it looks like on Android we still have that problem, is that true?????

fonefanatic

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I too am coming from the Pre. I saw a post on here that said apps are placed on the phone which the storage is not very high. So I have the same question, will there be an issue with an app limit on the phone?

Dick

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I just posted the same question in the Walt Mossberg thread - his review said that the app space had a 358 meg cap. I am also coming from the Pre so I understand the concern.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... I thought 2.1 stored apps on external storage. What about large 3D games, do most store the data on SD?

mp0510

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Acording to some other threads, 2.1 allows only 374 MB for apps. I have over 1GB in apps on my iPod Touch, so I hope Android 2.2 fixes that.

lawmangrant

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Acording to some other threads, 2.1 allows only 374 MB for apps. I have over 1GB in apps on my iPod Touch, so I hope Android 2.2 fixes that.

The ipod touch issue, I think someone else said that the apps on Andriod take up less space than an ipod touch.

I am new to the world of android, so I am learning with everyone else.`

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I had over 2.1GB of apps (mostly 3D games) on my Palm Pre, there is no way I'll be able to fit all my apps on the Evo without external space. Especially with those new HD games.

mvpilot172

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I thought just a few launcher files were on the internal memory, the rest of the files (textures, etc.) could be put on the SD card. I too have a Pre and the 3d games take up 300mb each, I can't believe the same type games on Android only take up 15mb.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
why do they always have to scrimp on internal memory? isn't it relatively cheap?

i'd like to see 8GB Internal + up to 32GB Expandable.

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Hey no worries guys... there aren't many 3D games for Android! Problem solved!

In all seriousness, download the glu mobile boxing game when you get the Evo (there is a free and paid version, free only has ad's on splash screens, totally unobtrusive). It'll install a small file on your app storage partition and then the meat and potatoes to the SD card. Runs flawlessly on the N1... not so much on the Hero, but that's expected.

It's also rumored that FroYo (could be Gingerbread tho) will have an iteration of apps2SD. Basically, allows you to create an app partition to the SD card. I think that is why the Evo has the SD card under the battery, to prevent any accidental SD removal while powered/ in-use.

MOE-GUNZ

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I.m on the Pre also (don't have 3D games on it due to the issues) and I have a ITouch with 200+ games (several 3D games and I only play like 3, I rather stick to card games and classics like Tetris). The apps on the Pre and Itouch take up more space than the ones on Android.

Personally I plan to avoid 3D games because they cost money and I only play them when I get them and then I stop playing them. I'll stick to apps that will enhance my everyday life.

I have 70 apps ready to be installed on my Evo and they ammount to 90mbs :/

Last edited:

ls3mach

Banned
May 9, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one here who doesn't install things just to have them? 200 games, really? All of you complaining have no point of reference. Android even with 8GB of internatl storage has issues addressing more than 500mb for program storage. Do any of you know how large an Android app is?

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I had over 2.1GB of apps (mostly 3D games) on my Palm Pre, there is no way I'll be able to fit all my apps on the Evo without external space. Especially with those new HD games.

Keep in mind that palm pre games take anywhere between 70mb to like 250mb. I owned a Palm Pre so I know while on Android even 3d games take up like 15mb at the most. What happens on most of the high end games is that it downloads the core features to the game to your internal memeroy and when you start the game the first time it asks you to download all the required content for the game which will be saved to your sd card. Its just the way android works. I have a HTC Hero and I still have not ran out of memery so it will hardly be an issue with the Evo but regardless lets hope todays announcement of Froyo takes care of this issue.

MOE-GUNZ

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one here who doesn't install things just to have them? 200 games, really? All of you complaining have no point of reference. Android even with 8GB of internatl storage has issues addressing more than 500mb for program storage. Do any of you know how large an Android app is?

Dude I'm not the one complaining and I never had 200 games installed at ONCE. I've had 100+ tho. My point was 3D games are overrated and apps that enhance your life is better to go after, and Android has a lot of those.

My Pre only has useful apps. Don't assume I just install thing to install them. Its just I don't really care about my IPod so I don't care what I put on it.

Last edited:

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I recall hearing that you can manually move apps to SD with a utility for rooted phones. Can Android users confirm? What's the name of utility?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2