Earphones with Mic and Remote on HTC Android Phones

Malacoda

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There is a very good chance I am going to be making the leap from an iPhone 3GS to an EVO 4G come June 4th. One of the sticking points for me is earphones. I have become very accustomed to using earphones that have a built in mic and remote that can control volume and tracks.

It is very hard to pin down which, if any, earphones with mic and remote work with Android phones. Plus, with Android, it probably varies by version and manufacturer.

Does anyone here use such earphones with an HTC Android phone, with full support for the mic and remote? I'd love to get this ironed out before dropping the cash and making the leap from AT&T to Sprint.

Thanks!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i use an iPhone stereo headset with my Palm Centro and everything works great - mic, answer/end button etc. i hope that it works great with my EVO too.

i doubt that the remote (skip tracks, volume etc.) will work on anything other than an Apple product.

interesting that HTC does not include a stereo headset in the box. is this their standard practice?

Malacoda

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'd spend upwards of $100 for a nice pair of earphones that have mic and remote support on Android. It just seems weird how little support there is.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'd spend upwards of $100 for a nice pair of earphones that have mic and remote support on Android. It just seems weird how little support there is.

the remote support is probably an Apple proprietary thing that has yet to become a standard.

as long as i have mic, answer/end call i'm happy. not too big of a deal for me to tap the display or the side rocker buttons for tracks/volume.

BTW - i'm no audiophile - but i love the quality and minimalist sleek design of the Apple iPhone stereo headset. especially for $29.

zhens

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Head over to the forums at head-fi.org...Good chance to get this answered there.

From what I've read there Nuforce Ne-7m and iMetal ip-hs5 are where it's at - both around $50. Let me know what you find out though.

Malacoda

May 17, 2010
Visit site
the remote support is probably an Apple proprietary thing that has yet to become a standard.

as long as i have mic, answer/end call i'm happy. not too big of a deal for me to tap the display or the side rocker buttons for tracks/volume.

BTW - i'm no audiophile - but i love the quality and minimalist sleek design of the Apple iPhone stereo headset. especially for $29.

Perhaps I don't fully understand, but I don't necessarily mean Apple headphones or headphones specifically designed for the iPhone that work on Android phones. I just want any sort of earphones with a mic and remote that work on an Android phone.

And, if I can't get one with a remote, at least a mic would be nice. I don't talk on the phone much, but when I make longer calls, I definitely want a earphone with a mic.

springsyeti

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
my palm pre came with a good set when I had that phone. unfortunately they dont sell them

They were a POS!

Skull candy makes the asym. The cable goes over the ear to help hold them (running and such) and fit pretty flush in the ear (motorcycle helmet fit). They also have a mic and button for phone control, worked on my pre but android I have not idea, I do not have my evo yet.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
And, if I can't get one with a remote, at least a mic would be nice. I don't talk on the phone much, but when I make longer calls, I definitely want a earphone with a mic.

your iPhone headset mic and call/end should work fine. remote functions probably not.

Malacoda

May 17, 2010
Visit site
After some research I ordered the MAXIMO iP-HS5 iMetal earphones.

Amazon.com: MAXIMO iP-HS5 iMetal Enhanced Definition Isolation Headset for iPhone,3G,S, BlackBerry, and Smartphone: Cell Phones & Service

They seem to get a lot of good reviews as far as quality, and the mic seems to work with Android at least, and I get the impression the remote may be at least semi-function. No volume control, but them's the breaks.

I have pretty much decided to buy the EVO. The news on the battery life gives me pause, but with a 30-day money back guarantee, I figure what the hell. So I ordered the headphones and a 32GB SDHC card to be ready, and scheduled Friday, June 4th off of work.

Marco_NYC

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
FYI: i am having trouble with my Bose in ear mobile earphones, the button/mic does not seem to work on the EVO. i pressed the button to end a call and it did not work, it also seems like folks are having trouble hearing me from the Bose mic, will do some more testing and repost. i also had trouble with the EVO recognizing the Bose headphones with the FM Radio, the radio will not turn on if it doesnt detect headphones to use as an antenna.

Marco_NYC

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Bose in ear headphones dont work!!!!! argh!!!

my EVO is having trouble detecting my Bose in ear mobile headphones, when i am using the radio the slightest touch to the earphone jack kicks the radio. the EVO also is not detecting the mic from the headset, i have made a bunch of test calls and folks can not hear me when using the earphones. almost got a ticket the other day because of this PIA problem.

pedromartinez1983

May 18, 2010
Visit site
im using the vmoda vibe 2 and they work. it has a mic for calls and the same button you use to pick up the phone is the same button you would double tap to skip or pause the track you are listening to plus they sound awesome