Feeling forced to upgrade

naudan

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I don?t know about others - but ever since the gingerbread update 2.3.3, my phone turned to crap. I was in denial for a long time now, but I give up. I can no longer defend HTC.

Sense constantly needs to reboot itself after I go anywhere on my phone (Google maps, browser, application etc). This reboot of the UI takes no less than 10 seconds to become fully operational again. Also opening certain applications takes significantly more time and sometimes errors out. I am running stock and refuse to have to root mainly because I use it for work and I see how many people have difficulty rooting. It?s so aggravating because my EVO was so good when I first got her, smooth as butter, everything was perfect :( I know this is happening to others because my friend has the same phone and similar problems are consistently occurring.

It seems like most people root the EVO nowadays, like the original Droid, but why should we have to just to make it useable with the stock sense UI?

The only thing I have found to quell my frustration thus far is loading GOLauncher which has helped, but it?s not sense and it's not what I paid for.

Sprint doesn't help because I still have until April or May for an upgrade, even though I told them I will be forced to look at Verizon if they don?t assist by at least offering an early upgrade, possibility to SG2.

Has anyone else given up on the EVO as well? Maybe there is a fix I am unaware of.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Forced to upgrade? lol, i'm still using my HTC Hero which is probably one of the oldest Android phones around. Of course I have it rooted and running a Gingerbread ROM that focuses on performance and battery life.

Most people I know that are still rocking the HTV EVO have theirs rooted. There are plenty of roms available for your phone and yes even with HTC sense.

deadeye99

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Naudan, I felt the same way but if you customize go launcher a little it is actually better imho. Landscape home screen, gesture up or down for any app you want, scrolling effects are really cool. No reboots for me. I like it better now after 11 days.

leprechaunshawn

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Do you have an app called Apps2SD installed on your Evo?

I don’t keep the app on there but I occasionally install it to see if I have any apps that can be moved to my SD card. When I have it installed I get sense reboots, after I uninstall I don’t get sense reboots.

naudan

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you have an app called Apps2SD installed on your Evo?

I don?t keep the app on there but I occasionally install it to see if I have any apps that can be moved to my SD card. When I have it installed I get sense reboots, after I uninstall I don?t get sense reboots.

I never used that app. But i do go through my list and move everything possible to the SD. I even went through and deleted a lot of my apps thinking that was the reason. I have about 70 MB of apps space free now with the same results.

Naudan, I felt the same way but if you customize go launcher a little it is actually better imho. Landscape home screen, gesture up or down for any app you want, scrolling effects are really cool. No reboots for me. I like it better now after 11 days.

Yeah so far its really not that bad, it's helped a lot. I havent tried to customize it at all, but maybe I will now that you said it. None the less, it still makes me upset that I have to go through this process to get my phone working again, I actually like the sense UI.

nikkisharif

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I love sense UI too & I totally understand your frustration. I ended up filing a claim with Asurion the other day because the phone was just driving me crazy & I received a brand new in the box Evo 3D. Yes it cost me $100 but it was worth it because I won't be able to upgrade until June. The phone is really fast & smooth & I have all the same things on this phone that I did on my OG Evo & no sense reboots!! I'm on 2.3.4

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Sense constantly needs to reboot itself after I go anywhere on my phone (Google maps, browser, application etc). This reboot of the UI takes no less than 10 seconds to become fully operational again.

The first thing you need to do is get a new launcher - that will at least make it tolerable until you figure out what you need to do.

I use the free version of Launcher Pro, but there are others out there that will work just as well for you. Seriously, not having to deal with those sense reboots will help you maintain your sanity for a bit - give it a shot.

ETA: derp, I did not even get to the part where you mentioned using GoLauncher before I replied... However, for what is it worth, you are still using Sense... just not the Rosie launcher.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Forced to upgrade? lol, i'm still using my HTC Hero which is probably one of the oldest Android phones around. Of course I have it rooted and running a Gingerbread ROM that focuses on performance and battery life.

Most people I know that are still rocking the HTV EVO have theirs rooted. There are plenty of roms available for your phone and yes even with HTC sense.

Yes I'm one of them. Same Evo since launch. And of course rooted. Been eligible since June for my upgrade. Haven't seen anything that's blown my mind yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks