Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

ROM
    HTC - 2.6.35.10-g13578ee

Default Re: What will you upgrade to?

I'm on the same page with Heroevo on this one, The Evo is quite impressive, and to me nothing is beating it. I was going to upgrade to the iPhone 4s, but then noticing after research, Apple took away the 4G. I wasnt impressed. Manager showed me the Evo 4G, instantly fell in love with it.

And again going along with Heroevo, LTE is suppose to have some good surprises for the HTC's when they make/create more for Verizon.

So in my personal opinion, if you want to get a new phone or go for an upgrade, I would simply get the Evo 4G or any other phone that is comparable to it. Again my total opinion.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I'm on my second Evo 4G. The first one had the problem where it would constantly reset, so I got a replacement ($35 since I waived the $10/month insurance). That was in April. The second one has been pretty buggy. The touch screen doesn't work any more in some spots, and sometimes it totally fails. Sometimes my settings revert to default for no reason.

I know a lot of people with Android devices who either have switched to iPhone, since the other carriers have it, or plan to switch when the can. I am on the fence. HTC quality leaves something to be desired and Android is buggy and unpredictable at times. I planned on having the EVO for at least two years, but it's disappointing that it doesn't last and also that it will no longer be upgraded. For all the iPhone limitations, it beats Android hands down where it matters: you can use it and it will work and that's the end of it. I think that is why we have seen Apple regain some of the market share it was losing in the past year.

I hope ICS is better, because I'd like to get a Samsung Galaxy SII or III when I am eligible for a discount in April. Has anybody here gone from EVO 4G to SGSII?

I am in love with my Evo still. I haven't had any issues (other than Sense, restarting..knock on wood). Also I haven't seen anything that makes me want to leave the Evo. the Iphone sure doesn't. I do know I want to wait around to see what kind of LTE phones they're going to have. i know that I'm not upgrading to another phone to be stuck with Wimax.

I am going back to blackberry. Since I got a tablet, I just use my phone to communicate and some tapatalk action. The berry has Android beat in the former and arguably the latter.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Educate me on custom roms.

I've experimented with a few custom roms (Cyanogen, etc) but it didnt last long. I like the concept, but I hate losing all my applications, and worse, all the data that belongs to those applications every time I flash a rom. I've found that going the custom rom route means that I'm never satisfied, I continually try new roms to see which one I like better. Each time I end up losing all my stuff and having to reinstall all over agian.

What am I doing wrong? I have a long list of applications that I keep on my phone regardless of the rom. Is there some one click app that will restore all my apps plus their data?

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieCrisis View Post
    I am going back to blackberry. Since I got a tablet, I just use my phone to communicate and some tapatalk action. The berry has Android beat in the former and arguably the latter.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Really? If you're just using your phone as a communication device (assuming calls, sms, email), then how is a BB that much better? I was a long time Treo user and never thought I'd leave a kb, moved onto WinMo Touch Pro, then tried BB for a bit and had a bad experience with the old awful Sprint Tour. Went to EVO and realized how much of a difference in efficiency it is to have the larger screen. You can just consume so much more of an email or sms conversation or webpage so much more quickly and then make your response using a larger screen. Sure, a nice kb like the new Bold has is nice, but after a couple of days to weeks I was just a fast if not faster using the onscreen kb (and honestly, the HTC hold-press alternate keys are the most efficient typing IMHO). The Bold kb just doesn't ovecome the lack of screen real estate that makes a device like an EVO more efficient. You can simply just consume more information more quickly with the larger screen and the press-hold options of Android save time when selecting text, copy/paste, opening/saving links, contact options, etc.

I recently tried to go back to the new Bold after a year and a half with EVO and it was just laughable in my experience how less efficient I felt with BB. Even a small amount of web browsing or reading long emails was just frustrating in comparison. Android (and EVO of recent) certainly isn't perfect, but I'll put up with some occasional software issues to keep it. I really think the GSII Touch is probably the better and more stable device at the moment. Waiting for once of the leaked thinner HTC's to drop at MWC this month.

My 2 cents.
    Sent from my blah-blah-blah using blah-blah-blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Stein View Post
    The Bold kb just doesn't ovecome the lack of screen real estate that makes a device like an EVO more efficient.
    Huh? The on-screen KB takes half off the screen while typing on the EVO. Minimizing/Maximizing the keyboard is alot more cumbersome than flipping up and down on the track-ball. I'm sorry, but I cant see how any pocket device on the planet can be better than a berry just on churning out emails. Berry's are dying because of screen real estate for browsing and apps, not typing.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE- > HTC Evo / BB Bold > Nexus S 4G
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123