HTC EVO Roam Only Option?

as4life

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
You might try this:
*techknowfile's* - Hack the HTC EVO - 3G w/o Sprint EVDO coverage! - xda-developers

Its NOT roaming however it is....Let me explain.

Sprint and Alltel (now Verizon) have a roaming agreement. If you use Alltel's towers it is the same as if you used Sprint towers. In other words your not in roaming but you still use Verizon 3G. Verizon 's 3G is faster than Sprint's 3G. You will not be charged for roaming because technically your not roaming. This may help people who have bad Sprint 3G coverage but have good Verizon 3G coverage. If it makes you feel comfortable you may turn off Allow roaming in the phones settings.

I do believe you need to be rooted to do this. Which is also very easy to do now just go to this site on your Evo:
unrevoked
Tap download...and install. Thats it. your rooted.

You do not need to be rooted for this hack to work.

as4life

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I cant check out that link until I get out of work. What is an MSL code? And so basically this will turn the spotty 2G into 3G? Will this end the battery drain that occurs when the phone keeps switching between networks because of the fact that I sprint towers are very low, and verizons towers are somewhat low. I work in the middle of nowhere and add the steel building and you get network search battery drain up the ying yang.

My suggestion is to give it a shot. If it doesn't work, just go back to default. MSL code is a 6 digit number you'll need to do the hack. To get this, just dial *2 on ur sprint phone. Some people have a hard time getting it. All i did was tell the sprint representative that "I lost my MSL code and if he can give to me" and he gave it. More info in that link.

cl191

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I just called them and went straight to the point "I would like the MSL code please", the rep gave it to me right the way. That was easier than I expected.

yankees177

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
tried using chat to obtain MSL code. played it off like i was having data connectivity issues, friend works for sprint, told me to do a factory reset but before i should have my msl code. Played dumb like i didnt know what that was. wouldnt bite. ugh. Will call later. Any tips?

as4life

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
tried using chat to obtain MSL code. played it off like i was having data connectivity issues, friend works for sprint, told me to do a factory reset but before i should have my msl code. Played dumb like i didnt know what that was. wouldnt bite. ugh. Will call later. Any tips?

Just say you lost your MSL code and you need it again. That worked for me.

willsurg#AC

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
hmmm, pretty easy to get the MSL. my only problem is that now my signal which was 5 bars, is only 1 or 2. I will have to try this at work, which is where I need to ability to force roam. however, as advertised, it is very easy to undo by simply updateing the PRL and now I am back to 5 bars at home

benel24

May 15, 2010
Visit site
4G connectivity

Hi guys, Android new-by here. Just got my divorce from windows mobile after seven years of hardships, finally said our it's not me it's you and parted. i even got to keep Tilt2 as a memorial for my suffering.

I got my beloved Evo 6 days ago. we have 4G in my area but when I try to connect my phone cannot obtain an IP address from sprint. when I go into settings I see it saying obtaining IP address from sprint and never connects. The sprint store was on Tech support for 2 hours and still could not resolve this. Is anyone seeing this and what do you think could be the issue? Thanks for all the help you can offer.:confused:

jingleracing

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Force your Evo To ROAM

This only works for phone calls and your phone DOES NOT have to be rooted
##3282#
Edit Mode
Type your MSL # 6 digits
go to Advanced
go to Home Orig and change it form EVRC to IS-96
Hit ok and then Menu click commit Modifications
Your phone will reboot and you can roam on this Modification on
PHONE CALLS and some data but works great with phone calls and low signal.
Thanks

Jingle

italianotampa

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
This only works for phone calls and your phone DOES NOT have to be rooted
##3282#
Edit Mode
Type your MSL # 6 digits
go to Advanced
go to Home Orig and change it form EVRC to IS-96
Hit ok and then Menu click commit Modifications
Your phone will reboot and you can roam on this Modification on
PHONE CALLS and some data but works great with phone calls and low signal.
Thanks

Jingle
Does this have to be done every time you reset phone? Or does this help it on roam always status?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek