Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    840 Global Posts

Default Evo cam capable of Macro?

I currently carry a BlackBerry Tour and I LOVE the camera - I can take some pretty amazing UP CLOSE pictures and need this ability on the Evo. I know it's 8mp, but I need to take macro shots with excellent detail like I can with my BlackBerry. Anyone know if I will have this ability via the standard settings or some sort of enhancement app? I use my camera so often, I'd SO hate to not get this phone just for this reason....

i read somewhere a while ago that macro was possible...

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

It does do digital auto-focus, but I don't know if that's good enough for your use for the close-up shots.

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

It would be very nice if the evo could take some macro pic but i dont think it will be capable of do it
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    840 Global Posts

Ugh, this is kind of a deal breaker for me.

skullsdontfade, would you be able/willing to see where you read that?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

"macro" in this context (since all camera phones are not feature rich) means close-up shot.

Quote Originally Posted by EVO_girl View Post
    according to that sample I think you are "In Luck" Plus w/ 8mp you could crop for a close up.

Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

It always amazes me that people expect a 1000$ camera lense on a 200$ phone.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    840 Global Posts

Jordus, I have a BlackBerry Tour that takes amazingly sharp and detailed close up shots..... I'm not expecting too much. Just expecting an 8mp cam to be as good as my 3.2.. The BB has an "up close" setting and the pics are shockingly clear and detailed. I'm just hoping for as much from the Evo.
    Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Really? Every BB i had took terrbile pics in like 80x120 res

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

Jordus, I have a BlackBerry Tour that takes amazingly sharp and detailed close up shots..... I'm not expecting too much. Just expecting an 8mp cam to be as good as my 3.2.. The BB has an "up close" setting and the pics are shockingly clear and detailed. I'm just hoping for as much from the Evo.
    I have to agree here. I think the BB Tour camera is better than my Pre camera in terms of focusing on the subject better, and dealing with low-light conditions better.

No digital AF on the Pre meant a fixed distance would always have the best shots.

Since all these phone pictures invariably were for consumption on FB, and nothing else, it generally doesn't matter much to me. For "real" pictures, I would resort to the dslr instead. However, I can see how a compulsive shutterbug would want those options.

You do know that there's no optical focus, or optical zoom (for any phone camera) so any close-up shot is merely a digitally zoomed in, and digitally focused shot??

Quote Originally Posted by npark View Post
    You do know that there's no optical focus, or optical zoom (for any phone camera) so any close-up shot is merely a digitally zoomed in, and digitally focused shot??
    Not true - I owned either a Sanyo or a Samsung (forgot which) that had optical zoom. It was the shiznit back in 2007. Here's an example of one that has it as well: link.
    Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by npark View Post
    I have to agree here. I think the BB Tour camera is better than my Pre camera in terms of focusing on the subject better, and dealing with low-light conditions better.

Im not sure thats saying much because in low light or up close the Pre camera is downright horrendous.

Ugh, this is kind of a deal breaker for me.

skullsdontfade, would you be able/willing to see where you read that?
    sorry it took me so long to respond to this. here's the article that i was recalling:

HTC EVO 4G: Leaked Impressions, Coming Before June 6th?l | Android Phone Fans

a brief mention of macro, and an up close shot taken with the evo. i'm pretty sure this came out prior to any real hands on info of the phone, so take that for what it's worth.