1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Funny T-Mobile EVO story

Went to the mall with my wife today and stopped at a T-MO kiosk to see an HD2 for size. Sales guy approaches me and pull his HD2 out of his pocket. I was up front with him and told him I'm buying an EVO.

He told me I was better off with an HD2 because it runs BOTH ANDROID and WINMO software. I told him that I wasn't going to stand there and argue with him but that he was wrong. He told me "he was told in training" that "since the HD2 is really a computer" it would run any kind of software.

I rolled my eyes, laughed and just walked away.

Wow T-Mobile training is top-notch.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

hahahahahaha state of the art training right there. Sad thing is if you didn't know better (regular customer) you may have believed him.
    Last edited by MOE-GUNZ; 05-21-2010 at 08:37 PM.
    MOES-WORLD.COM

Well...technically you could put windows on there but it'd take a lot of work to port it and it'd be a mess and worthless. Besides, who wants windows mobile anyways? Android, WebOS and iPhoneOS kick its ****.

And of course, you could also put all that on the Evo too.

Similar thing happened to me (kinda). I went into a local Radio Shack to pre-order my Evo, and my local store isn't a Sprint reseller, and the guy said I have to go to a store about 100 miles away. No big deal, as I was headed that way this weekend anyway. (Going tomorrow )

Then as I'm walking out, he says I should just get an iPhone. I live in Maine, and it's no secret how horrible ATT's coverage is out here. I tell him the iPhone is a slick device, but ATT's service is awful. He then tried to tell me he's used one for 2 years, blah blah, and I just kinda nodded my head, walked slowly toward the door as I pretended to listen, filling in any pauses with "Yup. Oh, yeah, I know." and left.

Global Posts
    454 Global Posts

It's likely that the guys at XDA will get Android running on the HD2 (They finally got a booting kernel running on it recently) but it's still gonna be quite a while I'm sure. The T-Mo guy obviously didn't know what he was talking about, though I wish he were right because I'd love to have a GSM phone over CDMA.

Skillz that killz. Thanks for the laugh, sir. Do you think he cried himself to sleep that night?

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

well at the end of this year vmware will have software that will let you do this. I was able to talk to the head guy that is in charger of this at the last vmware conference I was at. So in a way the guy is right. The first phone that this will be tested on will be android phones. We wont start to hear more about this thought until the end of the year. He did say they are working with oems now to set this up.

so in a way that sale guy was right... just not right right now

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

Well it's like this hispanic chick in ****-me-pumps and hoops, the whole stereotypical latina outfit tried arguing with me at Verizon. She insisted to me, an overweight geek who was wearing my emo glasses, that all Verizon android phones were buy one get one free. I had just researched the issue the day before. I hate people who naturally embellish and blow **** out of their *** to no end. I won't say I have never bull****ted my way through something, but not without reason. And not so blatantly.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
    Went to the mall with my wife today and stopped at a T-MO kiosk to see an HD2 for size. Sales guy approaches me and pull his HD2 out of his pocket. I was up front with him and told him I'm buying an EVO.

He told me I was better off with an HD2 because it runs BOTH ANDROID and WINMO software. I told him that I wasn't going to stand there and argue with him but that he was wrong. He told me "he was told in training" that "since the HD2 is really a computer" it would run any kind of software.

I rolled my eyes, laughed and just walked away.
    Sorry to break it to you but he wasn't lying about getting Android OS on there. Just a few days ago my friend showed me his AT&T Windows Mobile phone that he installed Eclair on. It was pretty sick, but heated the phone up like a mofo.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    Sorry to break it to you but he wasn't lying about getting Android OS on there. Just a few days ago my friend showed me his AT&T Windows Mobile phone that he installed Eclair on. It was pretty sick, but heated the phone up like a mofo.
    LMAO .... Have your "buddy" post that on Youtube.

He was talking to me as a "regular senior citizen customer" not some phone geek hacker who can load OS10 on a Motorola StarTac (betcha you don't know what a Moto StarTac is). It may be possible to run Windows 7 on your shoelace but you don't tell that to a prospective customer so he buys a T-Mo phone vs a Sprint phone. The salesman wouldn't have had a clue about your "buddies" exploit. Besides, he stated the HD2 WILL RUN ANDROID APPS OUT OF THE BOX as well as WINMO.
    Last edited by MisterEd; 05-22-2010 at 08:28 AM.

LMAO .... Have your "buddy" post that on Youtube.

He was talking to me as a "regular senior citizen customer" not some phone geek hacker who can load OS10 on a Motorola StarTac (betcha you don't know what a Moto StarTac is). It may be possible to run Windows 7 on your shoelace but you don't tell that to a prospective customer so he buys a T-Mo phone vs a Sprint phone. The salesman wouldn't have had a clue about your "buddies" exploit. Besides, he stated the HD2 WILL RUN ANDROID APPS OUT OF THE BOX as well as WINMO.
    I loved those flips, but whats the point of a visual OS, on a 2-3 line display...

and yea, when they came out I wanted one soooo bad, but they didnt carry them on PacBell Wireless.

Global Posts
    673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Jailbroken/Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by lshelmir View Post
    I loved those flips, but whats the point of a visual OS, on a 2-3 line display...

and yea, when they came out I wanted one soooo bad, but they didnt carry them on PacBell Wireless.
    Actually they did have them! I had a few of them in that line (I love the StarTac Elite). I also remember when they when PacBell became AirTouch for a while, then Cingular then back to PacBell.

Now I feel old... LOL. I wanted the Startac bad...

Listen, I personally believe the guy was just trying to keep a sale.

We could discuss how the devices will dual boot or you can hack on this/that OS. The problem is, there are always performance issues or something not quite working because it wasn't carried tested/approved.

However, that all being said, it would be a strategic coup however if T-Mo did have HTC release a dual boot update for the HD2, especially with HSPDA+ on its way.

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Newman View Post
    Listen, I personally believe the guy was just trying to keep a sale.

We could discuss how the devices will dual boot or you can hack on this/that OS. The problem is, there are always performance issues or something not quite working because it wasn't carried tested/approved.

However, that all being said, it would be a strategic coup however if T-Mo did have HTC release a dual boot update for the HD2, especially with HSPDA+ on its way.
    I agree, it would be a best of both worlds scenario... I currently run eclair on my WM touch pro... I like being able to run apps from both OS's

Quote Originally Posted by imtravis View Post
    Actually they did have them! I had a few of them in that line (I love the StarTac Elite). I also remember when they when PacBell became AirTouch for a while, then Cingular then back to PacBell.
    ooooh, was it a GSM or CDMA, I just remember getting a Nokia 2100 series.

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

Haha, the first ones were analog... (remember having one of those), then later on I had a PCS one...

When I first went to the Sprint corporate store to ask about the EVO (before Sprint decided not to get the Nexus 1) I asked also about when Sprint would be getting the Nexus 1. I was informed by the employee that the Sprint was not going to be getting the Nexus 1 but that they could and have been activating the Nexus 1 at the store. I left scratching my head wondering how they could be activitating GSM phones at Sprint. (I didn't have the stomach to argue about it.)

Running Android on a WinMo phone is nothing new. I had an HTC Touch with a Android/Hero build sense UI and the whole bit. Granted none of this was ever running good enough to completely dump WinMo but it was close.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Mine was CDMA.

Default Jealous

Now I'm jealous. I remember my friend having one of those when I was in highschool. All I had was an ugly audiovox

Mine was CDMA.

Global Posts
    673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Jailbroken/Rooted

Mine was GSM