Best buy hosed me

bucc0303

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered on May 13th I was first on the list. I then decided to call for more information on getting one. Well no one told me that Best Buy will not do one year upgrades with only the $75 off. So now I am upset and have to get up drop my kids off at school then try to see if I can get one at a Sprint store. Meanwhile I am out 50 because of a non- refundable gift card. I am so dam upset by this. Do you guys think I will still be able to get one when they open. I can't get to a store until 8:30 in the morning.

PinkoCommie

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
The guy that took my pre-order at a local Radio Shack took the time to check and verify that I was eligible for the upgrade. I already knew I was, but he wanted to make triple-sure. RS FTW.

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered on May 13th I was first on the list. I then decided to call for more information on getting one. Well no one told me that Best Buy will not do one year upgrades with only the $75 off. So now I am upset and have to get up drop my kids off at school then try to see if I can get one at a Sprint store. Meanwhile I am out 50 because of a non- refundable gift card. I am so dam upset by this. Do you guys think I will still be able to get one when they open. I can't get to a store until 8:30 in the morning.

well you are not out $50. You can use that gift card to get whatever you want at bestbuy. If you were only going to sign a one year contract you are better off going to sprint. You will end up paying $375 for the phone at a sprint store where you would have paid $525 for it at bestbuy.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. demand that BB refund the gift card given the circumstances. ask nicely, explain the situation, ask for a manager if necessary.

2. go to the Sprint store bright and early on June 4 and buy one.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
When I pre ordered at Best Buy, they made sure to check my account first to make sure I am eligible for the 199 price. My second line is not yet eligible and they told me right away that they don't do the 75 dollar one year upgrade.

Just buy some Blu Rays or something, or maybe some accessories for the Evo when they get them.

praytorain

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Just ask them to refund it since they did not do their due diligence. If they refuse, sit at the check out line offering people the gift card for $50 and tell them why, then Best Buy might rethink giving your the $50 back.

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site

I would try calling Sprint and see if they can bounce up your upgrade. They are doing it for a lot of people.

danfilms

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a total fan of Bestbuy even tho I've majorly scored off their replacement plan in the past (free 52" Sony Bravia, long story)...
But they, so far, have done me right with the Evo.

We just bought a pair of Hero's and signed up with Sprint about two weeks ago. At the time I wasn't aware the Evo existed, I thought the Hero was the best android phone sprint had going (for a long time). It upset me because I wanted a N1 but couldn't afford the T-mobile plan for two of them.

So a week into our Hero's my wife's trackball breaks (refuses to click, rendering the camera useless) and I find out about the Evo being released on the 4th of June. We're pissed and take a stroll down to Bestbuy. To really appreciate my story you should know my wife was born and raised in Brooklyn, think Marissa Tomei from My Cousin Vinny.

I try to explain how upset I was that they sold us the Hero phones without so much as mentioning in three weeks there was a superphone coming out that would make mine look like a kids toy, but before I could get going my wife lays the guy out. I felt bad for him but she didn't say anything that wasn't true, she totally told him what our issues were and what exactly he could do to fix it...

So they have agreed to take back the pair of Hero's full refund, and put it to the full promo price of $199 each for a pair of Evo's.
Granted the release of the Evo falls within the 30 day full refund policy of Bestbuy and the federally mandated 30 day cancellation for cell carriers. So its not like we were asking for a miracle. Sometimes its just nice for the best case scenario to actually work out.

bucc0303

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I am just wondering if I can benefit from it being released on a workday. I do not like the fact that I was decieved by not getting the information from them ahead of time.

Fitz1015

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I am just wondering if I can benefit from it being released on a workday. I do not like the fact that I was decieved by not getting the information from them ahead of time.

I work on the 4 and told my boss I was taking a early lunch. He asked how early I was like 10Am. He is going with me to pick his up too :)

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
i told my boss the same thing. Oh wait i am the boss :p
i am taking the day off actually. It's my bday

Then taking off 1 month to watch the World Cup!! woohoo

ls3mach

Banned
May 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a total fan of Bestbuy even tho I've majorly scored off their replacement plan in the past (free 52" Sony Bravia, long story)...
But they, so far, have done me right with the Evo.

We just bought a pair of Hero's and signed up with Sprint about two weeks ago. At the time I wasn't aware the Evo existed, I thought the Hero was the best android phone sprint had going (for a long time). It upset me because I wanted a N1 but couldn't afford the T-mobile plan for two of them.

So a week into our Hero's my wife's trackball breaks (refuses to click, rendering the camera useless) and I find out about the Evo being released on the 4th of June. We're pissed and take a stroll down to Bestbuy. To really appreciate my story you should know my wife was born and raised in Brooklyn, think Marissa Tomei from My Cousin Vinny.

I try to explain how upset I was that they sold us the Hero phones without so much as mentioning in three weeks there was a superphone coming out that would make mine look like a kids toy, but before I could get going my wife lays the guy out. I felt bad for him but she didn't say anything that wasn't true, she totally told him what our issues were and what exactly he could do to fix it...

So they have agreed to take back the pair of Hero's full refund, and put it to the full promo price of $199 each for a pair of Evo's.
Granted the release of the Evo falls within the 30 day full refund policy of Bestbuy and the federally mandated 30 day cancellation for cell carriers. So its not like we were asking for a miracle. Sometimes its just nice for the best case scenario to actually work out.

You're mad at BestBuy because you are uniformed consumer? Also you made them go above and behind as a result. Also you let your wife rip an employee because of your lack of knowledge?

NICE. I applaud you both.

gr2gztch

May 17, 2010
Visit site

this is not true and I know because I used to work at best buy. whenever you purchase cell phones from best they only put out the 2 year prices. when the best buy employee rings out the device they are prompted to put in the computer what bundle/discounts applies for it. I know it list one and two years offers in there, so I would talk to manager or just wait to till it comes out.

ls3mach

Banned
May 9, 2010
Visit site

That does suck. I would try and get them to take the gift card back. I bet they will work with you, just simply to save face.

danfilms

May 23, 2010
Visit site
You're mad at BestBuy because you are uniformed consumer? Also you made them go above and behind as a result. Also you let your wife rip an employee because of your lack of knowledge?

NICE. I applaud you both.

I worked at bestbuy for three years (years and years ago) and I know its their job to inform the customer, to up sell the customer, and generally inform even the customers who think they are already informed. (which we weren't)
We even expressed our disdain for the Hero because it wasn't on par with the likes of the Incredible or the Nexus.
We even made two trips of it, spending time with the clerks on the first trip to just learn about the various carriers' pricing and phones. They had the opportunity.

Secondly I didn't rip anyone off. Its within the 30 days return policy and my wife's phone is seriously broke. Without the trackball you can't use the camera or other things.

It sucks for me too.
I spent over $100 on accessories that are now mostly useless. If I was a real jerk I'd be trying to return all the car chargers and screen protectors and hard cases and belt pouches we bought. But we aren't, it just seems tacky at this point.

Its not taking advantage of them, they should have informed us in the first place. If all I wanted was a cash register I could have gotten them off the web.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Secondly I didn't rip anyone off. Its within the 30 days return policy and my wife's phone is seriously broke. Without the trackball you can't use the camera or other things.

He means, you let your wife get all fired up on the employee for no reason. All you had to do was walk in and politely say that her phone was broken, and that you would like to return your heros and preorder evos. There was no need to give the associate a hard time about it, and you would have gotten the same result without ****ting on someone else's day.

It sucks for me too.
I spent over $100 on accessories that are now mostly useless. If I was a real jerk I'd be trying to return all the car chargers and screen protectors and hard cases and belt pouches we bought. But we aren't, it just seems tacky at this point.

You can just exchange them for the appropriate EVO accessories. There is nothing tacky about returning something that you cannot use.

It also sounds like you got the phones before the EVO was announced with a launch date and available for preorder. If that's the case, its ridiculous to think that they would go out of their way to get you hooked on a phone that they didn't know if it would be available anytime soon. You felt that the hero was suitable for your needs when you purchased them, so the associate did do his job correctly.

bucc0303

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I think I may have worded my original post wrong. I am a premiere customer but not the primary line. After a year I can get 75 dollars off the total price of the phone. My discount kicks in on the 1st of June. As long as it is a 2 year upgrade. Best Buy said they will not honor that and it has to be a new or full upgrade eligible to sell the phone to me. Why would you want to not make a sale. I planed on getting other things like the charger and what not. Best Buy won't even give me my money back on the gift card for the pre-order. What gives?

danfilms

May 23, 2010
Visit site
He means, you let your wife get all fired up on the employee for no reason. All you had to do was walk in and politely say that her phone was broken, and that you would like to return your heros and preorder evos. There was no need to give the associate a hard time about it, and you would have gotten the same result without ****ting on someone else's day.

You can just exchange them for the appropriate EVO accessories. There is nothing tacky about returning something that you cannot use.

It also sounds like you got the phones before the EVO was announced with a launch date and available for preorder. If that's the case, its ridiculous to think that they would go out of their way to get you hooked on a phone that they didn't know if it would be available anytime soon. You felt that the hero was suitable for your needs when you purchased them, so the associate did do his job correctly.

She can be dominating but it was a happy exchange once everyone was on the same page.

I'll see about the accessories, I'm not even sure if we saved the packaging. Still feels tacky.

I doubt it was before the pre-orders started, but I'm not sure. We've only had them about a week and a half, maybe two. When we returned and got the pre-orders we were #45 and #46, which was I think this thursday.

Assuming they hadn't started taking pre-orders it becomes the fault of bestbuy corporate and Sprint for not informing their staff of the impending new product before the return/exchange window opened. How many other people are like me, stuck with a phone that struggles to push through the apps when if the had just known they could have waited a week or two and gotten the best, and not just stuck, but stuck for TWO YEARS.
At the very least the smart thing to do on the corporate level would be to inform the troops 30 days out that "hey, just so you know, sprint is getting a new superphone similar to the HD2 or Incredible. Might come in handy if it sounds like that fits the customer's needs..."

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

If you explain politely what happened, you might be able to get that gift card refunded. On the upside, you finding this out now still gives you time to get it at the sprint store and save a boatload of cash. In the future though, when using one year upgrades, I recommend you do more research on what you will actually have to pay for the phone. Seems like the real offense would have been them taking you for $525+ when you could have paid $375 at Sprint for the same thing. :eek:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance