Got my HTC Evo yesterday ask if you have any questions!

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
is it possible for you to go in a LOW-reception area and see if the phone jams up when switching signals or jumping from native to roaming signal?

My tour 9630 and bold 9650 was notorious for this

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Eventhough its been answered multiple times in this thread but battery life is great.

well i asked now because more time has passed for you to make a more fair assessment with a broader perspective over a few days as you fall into a more normal usage pattern, multiple conditioning cycles, etc.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
well i asked now because more time has passed for you to make a more fair assessment with a broader perspective over a few days as you fall into a more normal usage pattern, multiple conditioning cycles, etc.

I see that makes sense, ya the battery life is great, way better then the pre and honestly its almost as good as the Hero, and that's amazing considering it has a much bigger screen then the Hero but they share the same battery.

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
dkotoric1, I think one of the issues with battery life is that you're not in a 4G market. Some of the reviews have said battery life is considerably better without 4G, or at least if you have 4G on in a strong area. One of the big battery killers seems to be leaving 4G on in a weak 4G area.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
is it possible for you to go in a LOW-reception area and see if the phone jams up when switching signals or jumping from native to roaming signal?

My tour 9630 and bold 9650 was notorious for this

Yes I my parents live in a low signal area and I will be visiting them tonight so I'll check it out. Will let you know tonight or tomorrow.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
dkotoric1, I think one of the issues with battery life is that you're not in a 4G market. Some of the reviews have said battery life is considerably better without 4G, or at least if you have 4G on in a strong area. One of the big battery killers seems to be leaving 4G on in a weak 4G area.

Yes that is true, and I have said that from day one.

melnick7

May 27, 2010
Visit site
well battery life is ok not awsome I guess with heavy usage probably about 4hrs or so I haven't timed it yet but my Hero was definatelly better. But I can say that its stil way batter then the Palm Pre. I will charge it fully and use it and share more info on he battery tomorrow.
I am switching to the Evo also from Palm Pre. My big thing is the crappy battery life and how slow eveything is to open ie. calendar and google maps is god awful!
So if the battery is a lil better ill take it!!
Thanks!

skeeve

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Link? Thanks.

I think he's referring to the fact that you can only install apps on the device not the SD card (until froyo or until rooting) and that the device has limited space for this (378 MB) similar to the Pre's original space restriction with partitions.

just read that 2.1 has limitations on apps like palm pre had.
that blows!!

While I agree that this is a somewhat silly restriction, it's not anywhere near as big of a problem as it was on the pre. A good way to check if it'll be a problem for you is this site: AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market

Not only is it a good site in that you can queue up apps to be automatically installed on your phone later, but it gives you information about all the apps you've selected. I've chosen 85 apps that I'm interested in and I am having trouble finding more beyond that. Thanks to appbrain I know that only 11 of those are not free and their total cost is $31.70 (I may chose not to get a few of them) but also that all 85 together use only 107 MB. That's less than 1/3 of what's available on the EVO.

Android apps are teeny tiny. Even the big 3D games from Glu and all those other publishers. What they do is keep all their data on the SD card and only a very small executable on the actual device.

Cheers! ;)

romero.richardv

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
HTC EVO Front Camera

I was wondering how is the 1.3mp front facing camera? Does it record pictures and videos in mirror mode and if so is there a setting to make it normal???

studfuz

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys, Thank you So much for all of your hard work for the android community. I had a couple of questions i have not seen answered over the past few days. And yes, I have followed this thread very closely. I am a little outdated, but my Treo 800w is the source of most of these questions(as well as the past 4 Treo palmOS models before it). I also own a iPod Touch 3rdgen. Typically if I'm not driving while in the car or waiting around for meetings I'll pass the time playing games or sorting through various other apps.
1a: When I am in my car I have to turn the brightness to full to be able to see the screen properly. And high brightness equals significant battery loss on both devices. How readable is the screen outdoors/in vehicles during the day on lower screen brightnesses?
1b: How much does the screen brightness effect the battery life?
2:Is there an ability to use the flash as a light? like some older phones when flashes first came out. you could just turn them on to see things in the dark.

~More Questions in next post...

Last edited:

studfuz

May 25, 2010
Visit site
My next question is about navigating apps. One thing like about my treo 800w is opening apps or notifications does not kick me out of open programs(If i'm in sprint navigation and get a call, when the call ends I'm still in the navigation program)..Where as on my ipod touch, if I'm in an app and i get a message or face book notify and I choose to go to the notification it kicks me out of the app I'm in and I have to return home and navigate to the original app. Which is VERY annoying if you are a high usage multitasker.
Q: If you go to a notification can you go back to where you were when you received the notify or do you have to navigate back to it via the home page?
I hope that i gave enough explanation to clarify what I'm asking.

studfuz

May 25, 2010
Visit site
And, finally a couple questions about Messaging.
Q: On my older phones if you were in the middle of a text message and had to leave the page it saved the partial message and you could finish it when you returned.. On my 800w if you leave the message screen before sending it erases the message completely and you have to start over. How does the Evo handle leaving the message window before the text is sent?
Q2: Does the messaging program have the ability to send SMS and MMS to: multiple contacts, "Groups" of contacts, or entire phonebook at once? (which can it or can not do)
I have friends that will just send out one happy "Insert Holiday here" message to their entire phone book or groups they created.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20