EVO with bad ESN

inkdup102586

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I have an evo that I got from a friend. Has a bad ESN. He told me I can do whatever I want with it. What are some suggestions?

Sent from dual core goodness

moritzes

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
If you use Google Voice:

Airplane mode --> WiFi on --> GrooVe IP

This way, GV number will ring on the WiFi-only phone. I leave an old phone next to my bed so that I can grab my mobile calls even if I leave my main phone downstairs. For me, voice quality is better over WiFi than it is over Sprint.

psychofox13

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Bad ESN phones will never be able to have service again until the previous owner's debt with Sprint is resolved.

Other than that, yeah go with Google Voice & GrooVe IP. It'll be a wifi-only phone, but at least you can make calls and send/receive text messages.

kmo97

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I know that there's a ton of ads on craigslist advertising people that'll flash evos to boost or metrsopcs.

Sent from my Evo 4G.

still83fifty

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes it's true bad esn phones cannot be activated on their original carriers network until their account is paid...It is also true that bad esn phones can be flashed(activated) to other certain carriers like Boost, Revol, PagePlus, for example.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Bad ESN phones will never be able to have service again until the previous owner's debt with Sprint is resolved.

Not really true. There are two ways to get out of this, 1 way is to wait 3 months and them Sprint will release them usually as long as they are not lost or stolen. The other way is you can get esns cleaned. Check on eBay, people sell the service, I have for one tried it and it works. I am not talking about swapping out phones under insurance, fraud, or anything illegal. If anyone has anymore questions about it you can pm me. I actually had it done for me before and it didn't change the esn, the phone, or anything, they just fixed the esn.

mikeisnowonfire

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Nothing you can do with a bad ESN without the previous debt being paid. I wonder if carriers realize how many phones fall through the cracks because of this?

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Nothing you can do with a bad ESN without the previous debt being paid. I wonder if carriers realize how many phones fall through the cracks because of this?

Not true. If your phone is attached to a bad account it will come off after 3 months with Sprint, and if you know the right people you can get them fixed for a fee. PM me for details.

JPNicole

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, I've only been a member for a few minutes but you should still look into what I am saying. The cell phone companies have gotten together and created a national database whose sole intention is to keep a list of bad esns and prevent you from taking them to another dealer and having them activated. Right now it is fairly new and centers around phones that were reported stolen....

My advice is always gonna be to rob from the rich and give to the poor but if you are uncomfortable with doing modifications to your phones that might be construed as illegal or not allowed then I would push the bad esn by debt thing to the max and hope you can quash the debt.

Oh don't ask how I know but when it comes to I.T., reverse engineering, hacking, etc. nothing is "illegal" has long has you are doing it "for educational purposing only..."

TonsOfFun Networking-
Because having to pay for something that you can easily get for free is not tons of fun...

-gone

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
I can't clean Sprint ESNs anymore (I stil do Verizon). If you want to use that phone there are people on eBay that do it but it cost $75 or so. I would check there, but from what I understand, ESNs usually become clean after 90 days if you want to wait that long...

Mattheweg

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
ESN's can totally be cleared and cleaned if you root the phone and find the msl code and and then the service menu codes WITH THESE you can delete the phones old profile and dellete the phones number i have already done this twice with SPRINT and put two bad esn nexusus on the same line . these were also on the same network they were on when blacklisted but it will work !00%
on nexus .. You may be able to also clean the phone without root but i'm not sure . i've always rooted first