How do I capitalize and insert punctuation using voice input?

OnePalmAddict

Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if this question should be specific to the Evo forum, but since that is the device I'm using, I'm posting it here. That said, I'm just trying to figure out how to capitalize words and insert punctuation when using the voice input feature. Hopefully I'm missing something simple, but at the moment it's not obvious to me.

Thanks!
ME

dwelder

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Capitalization at the beginning of a sentence should be automatic but as for a name, you would probably have to add that name into your custom dictionary with a capital letter. You should be able to punctuate by saying what you want such as, "Question Mark" at the end of the sentence. Hope this helps.

Reactions: OnePalmAddict

OnePalmAddict

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, aren't I embarrassed...punctuation worked as you described. :-[ That said, I have tried this on and off since I got my Evo on launch day a year ago summer and I could swear it didn't work, thus my aversion to voice input. I wonder if subsequent software updates fixed issues that caused it not to work?

As for capitalization, it did work when I tried again...but only after punctuation and NOT on the first word of an entry. Go figure. Logic would suggest capitalization at the beginning of all sentences. Any ideas on this issue?

Thanks!
ME

dwelder

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
There should be an auto-capitalization option in settings. I don't use the stock SMS app for the phone but I know for a fact that the Handcent SMS app does have that option. It will automatically capitalize every first word of a new sentence but you have to enable it in the settings. Hope this helps you out. There are plenty of good SMS apps out there if you want to give them a try. I prefer Handcent but I know GoSMS is another good one.

OnePalmAddict

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I use Handcent SMS as well, and both phone and Handcent seem to be set for auto capitalization. Maybe it just wasn't working well previously, as it suddenly seems to be working as expected. Figures, as soon as I say something it works right! :-!

ME