Who is gonna bite the bullet and pay for Wifi Tethering

What tethering option will you use

• Total voters

Setite

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I have been surveying the options and I dont see any verification that even the available wifi tethering for rooted devices allow more than one computer to tether at once. I don't like it, but I just might have to pay the 30$ for the 8 person wifi tethering. I was curious who else, of those who need tethering for more than one device, were gonna pay the Fee. I currently pay 85$ a month for a minimal iPhone plan and can tether multiple devices with MyWi from Cydia. I like it because when I go to the lake with friends we can bring laptops and surf the net/stream music, albeit with the crappy latency my phone has, out at Lake Mead. That is the first thing I am doing when I get an EVO, running out to Lake Mead and seeing if I can get 3G out there. I live in a 4G market, but it doesnt extend to the lake.

The biggest reason I want wifi tethering is so that me and a friend can have internet regardless of where we go, since most places don't offer free wifi. I find that hacking all of the Sprint 2Wire DSL routers is getting boring :). Also, does anyone know of a cellular booster that will work on the EVO?

EDIT: http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics-gadgets/iphone-smartphone/b32e/ or http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics-gadgets/iphone-smartphone/9823/ seem to only boost as high as 1.9ghz. Spring 4G is 2.5ghz right?

Last edited:

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Never had the need for it, so I won't pay for it. But considering how much a wireless card costs the hotspot on the Evo is a bargain.

lshelmir

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I would only use tethering when i'm on a vacate or when the inet has a outage at home. maybe about 2-3 times a year... So I wouldn't pay the monthly fee, I would probably root it.

Question: Would rooted units still be covered under the 7.00 insurance.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I would only use tethering when i'm on a vacate or when the inet has a outage at home. maybe about 2-3 times a year... So I wouldn't pay the monthly fee, I would probably root it.

Question: Would rooted units still be covered under the 7.00 insurance.

The 7 dollar insurance is for when you lose your phone or physically damage it (drown in water, smashed, etc...), so I don't think it really applies.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I feel the same way about the wifi tethering. I would only use if a few times if that, so it's not really worth the extra fee. I plan on rooting my phone anyway.

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd bite the bullet if Sprint made it a total hot spot package. I would want the feature on my Evo AND the Overdrive so I could leave it at home and actually replace my Cable internet service.

Setite

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'd bite the bullet if Sprint made it a total hot spot package. I would want the feature on my Evo AND the Overdrive so I could leave it at home and actually replace my Cable internet service.

Rogers in Canada is the only company I know that is experimenting with single data plans for multiple devices. You don't need an overdrive do you, if you have an EVO. I imagine the performance will be comparable. Also, I only seem them offering shared data with limited bandwidth plans.

As stated, I don't really want to pay the fee, but I need an option that will allow me to tether two laptops at once.

jacker

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
If I get it , it'll be for just me or the wife , not both.

Since we go and visit family alot it would be awesome to have my own source of intrawebz instead of mooching off unsuspecting locals.

Not too mention I could bring my 360 n ps3 to hotels and be able to sign in too both and maybe play some online to boot.

But I be darned if 30 is really pushing it for tethering .

May 22, 2010
Visit site
If it was $10 (EVO tax) plus another $10 for tethering, I'd bite. I just won't use it enough to justify more.

If I had enough use to justify a $60 laptop adapter, then the $30 for the EVO hotspot would be a bargain. But with the EVO, I'll have even less need to actually use my laptop than I do now :p

neilept

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I will pay the ETF on my MIFI, and switch to this and save $30 per month. ETF will be paid in 1-2 months after selling the MIFI.

alvarezjpr

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't really have a use for tethering except the rare occasion when I stay at a hotel without free wi-fi. So I will not be buying sprint's tethering service. I might get a tethering app if I feel the need.

neon8

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I travel 6-7 times a year. I usually have to pay $12 -15 per night for internet that only works in room and not meeting rooms. Also sometimes pay at airports. The cost for hotspot and what usually pay hotels per year is about equal so i will pay the fee and will also be able to use whenever.

Mikelli

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I have used PDAnet for years. I sent them an email about swithching over from Palm and they sent me back a discount link to purchase a full Android version. I do tether my laptop when on business travel. So I will wait for the wifi feature when it's hacked or Sprint gives it for free. Other than that I am set when I get my EVO

fredd0

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i think most people are going to drop thier aircards and pick this up. why not save $30 per month and get unlimited 3g and 4g? (unlimited 3g is a benefit of the hotspot package)