Google I/O Evo's not able to be activated yet

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
I have one of the Evo's they gave away at Google I/O and it comes with 30 days of full service from Sprint, which is cool to try things like the Wi-Fi hotspot feature.

But I am already on Sprint so I wanted to change my current Sprint number to the Evo, and when I called they told me that was not possible until the phone is released. They said that Google currently "owns" the provision of the phone and until they release it to Sprint, they cannot reassign the number.

It makes sense, since the phone is registered to googlehtcevodemoXXXX@sprintpcs.com and already has a phone number. The owner of that phone number is the only one who can authorize changing the number, and Google hasn't authorized it yet.

They told me to call back on June 4th when the phone is released and try again. So until then, I will be packing two phones...the Evo and my old Hero :)

Has anyone else here that has a Google I/O Evo been able to switch the number?

techiegirl

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I know several people who were able to activate it last night and this morning. This afternoon, the standard line is "you have to wait until 4th." It sounds like word has gone out...

MrLogan13

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Nope, I tried it last night and it they wouldn't allow it. If they were able to, the rep may not have been as strict on the guidelines or may not have been informed. As far as trying to use www.sprint.com/activate, it won't work. The phone is already provisioned and will not be released until the 4th.

kuhawksr1

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Great info here! I've got an I/O Evo in transit to me now. So if we can't activate (swap ESN) on our own account until after the 4th, how far should I go to personalize this thing? Sounds like it is associated with a temporary email account and has its own phone number through the end of the 'free' trial period. I'd like to start personalizing this thing with my own gmail and exchange account credentials, download apps, load my Facebook and Twitter account info, rearrange the icons, install widgets, etc. Question is ... when I move this to my own account (sometime between the 4th and the end of the free service), will my personalization get wiped out during the transition?

Any advice on what I should or should not do before I get it activated on my own Sprint account?

Many thanks!

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
None of the personalization should get wiped by this. At least I hope not! I think it's just a provisioning service that needs to get updated info, but it should leave your apps and stuff alone.

MsRandall

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I was one of the lucky one to get my demo evo transferred to my own account...No you will not have to wipe the device to move it to your line so do what you want to it.

PanzyDog

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I activated mine on my account with no problem Saturday. You have to call a special 877 number and they will release the phone from the free 30 day number and then activate it on your number. The number is, 877-527-8405. Have the active phone number and the ESN ready.

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
Just called that number and no go. They told me the same thing...that Google won't release the phone until the 4th.

Anyone know how to forward my old number to the new one?

---
Sent from my HTC Evo 'cause that's how I roll.

PanzyDog

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
That is strange! They just did it for me Saturday!

1. Press * 7 2 on your Sprint PCS phone.
2. Enter the ten-digit phone number, including the area code + telephone number, of the phone you want your calls forwarded to.
3. Press TALK and a tone will confirm that call forwarding is active.

To deactivate call forwarding, perform the following steps:

1. Press * 7 2 0.
2. Press TALK and a tone will confirm the deactivation.

techiegirl

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I was able to get one transferred yesterday but by the time I called back a few hours later to get a 2nd one transferred I was told no.

As for call forwarding, check your plan to make sure you won't be billed for call forwarding.

skunkiechris

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was just able to do it. The first rep told me they could not do it, I asked for a supervisor. Had to get a call back, but when I got it he apologized and had no trouble moving it to my account. Took about 15 mins to cancel the Google account, change my plan, and add it to my account. Provisioned with my info and tested before we hung up.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
because I don't want to carry around two phones and never use up my minutes anyway, plus I had sold my hero which I needed to ship to the buyer today.

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
I hardly use minutes. I'm on a shared 1500 minute plan between me and my wife, and we barely use 200 minutes per month combined.

I'd like to activate it now so I can stop carrying two phones around. Yeah, I know I don't have to carry my Evo around just yet, but come on...I can't keep my hands off it! :)

techiegirl

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
ecaggiani: Just called again (12th time in the past 2 days) and was finally able to get somebody to do it. I was able to get the evo converted to my sprint line and port my verizon # to it all in the course of a lunch break.

(Doing the happy dance)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox