1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC Evo 4G HDMI output quality bad ? ? so says PCMag

Just saw a review saying that the 720p out of EVO was pretty subpar, written here

I dont know but I remember people at conferences being impressed by the output quality of the video... Let me know your thoughts especially if you have your hands on an Evo already.

It's because it's VERY highly compressed . If you watch it on a small screen it looks OK but if it is put on a large TV you'll see it. It's no replacement for a real camcorder but in a pinch it's better then "LD" (Low Def).

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

It says they tried playing a 640 x 480 video. Shouldn't they have tried it with a true 720p file? It seems they were more disappointed with the whole experience rather than just the video quality.
    </awesome>

I know it is highly compressed but I have to think there must be a video out setting somewhere that they missed. I would think 720p would look pretty decent ported out to a HD set. I'd say that I'll know in 11 days but I'm holding off on getting the cable for the time being.
    Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

They didnt even use an HD file to output. What idiots. Of course SD will look like trash. It looks like trash from the cable company to an HDTV, too!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I mean the video should be fine in theory, the only thing I expected was the framerate to not be optimal. I guess we will have to see on uncompressed true 720p video.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
    They didnt even use an HD file to output. What idiots. Of course SD will look like trash. It looks like trash from the cable company to an HDTV, too!
    Thats true haha it looks pretty bad on an HDTV, I'm just wondering if the Evo will support DivX AVI files

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That definetly looks to...NOT be the case. At least if this is accurate...

Looks way more impressive then I thought it would be imo.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Since the EVO has been rooted, can a developer add video codecs?

Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    That definetly looks to...NOT be the case. At least if this is accurate...

Looks way more impressive then I thought it would be imo.
    beautiful!

The quality of your video output is going to be largely affected by the quality of your video content. A compressed youtube video is going to look bad when you blow it up. The true test of the Evo will be to rip a DVD and play the file back. I don't expect it to blow expensive blue ray players out of the water, but then again, we're talking about a do-it-all device that only costs $500. Even if it just looks good, I'll be happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by jxs1984 View Post
    beautiful!
    I noticed that in that video a 720P video was sideloaded onto the Evo. I hope there is a way to modify the amount of compression the Evo does to the built in camera.