TEP on EVO

infoe

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I just took off last month the $7 TEP that I had on my blackberry 9630. I never used it! It's never taken more than a minor tumble from my hands to table top (3-5 inch drop) take care of my stuff. I've never owned a non-qwerty android/iphone phone and I'm thinking one of the many benefits of the EVO as compared to the iphone is that we can have the insurance on it. First question is that correct will the insurance be offered on the evo?

2. do you plan to get the insurance on the phone?

and third question I should probably start a new poll for this but If I don't want to get a screen protector and or even a case just because I want to enjoy the phone in it's bare nature is the $7 insurance a month a must?

timlot

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm conflicted about getting the insurance myself. I've never damaged any device I have ever had so I don't see the need for it personally. I know accidents can happen, but if they don't I'm just giving away $84/year.

infoe

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm conflicted about getting the insurance myself. I've never damaged any device I have ever had so I don't see the need for it me personally. I know accidents can happen, but if they don't I'm just giving away $84/year.

agreed then to get a refurbished phone.

ImmaSlave4U

May 16, 2010
www.GoVeg.com
I got insurance on my Pre, which was the first phone to have insured, and I'm glad I did because I was mugged and it was stolen two months after I got it! I definitely plan on keeping insurance.

thegov

May 6, 2010
Visit site
you can get a replacement from sprint for 30 days...after that any physical damage that renders the phone unusable, or if it is stolen (lets face it this is a hot phone) you will be stuck with a brick. not only that you will have to pay full price for a new one. its really not that much of a gamble in my mind..even with the $100 deductable, it's still worth it. then again, i'm hard on my phones....as far as rerurbs are concerned most of the phones are basically new phones with re-used processors. htc, palm, any other company gets a patent for a certain number of serial numbers. by calling the phones "refurbished" they can make more devices by re-using the serial numbers. i was talking to a sprint rep today about this b/c i broke my pre for good not two weeks before i ge my evo. using my treo700 now but i digress. he said alot of the refurbished pres have stickers on them that sprint doesn't use. idk, i've gotten new phones and refurbished ones, i can't tell the difference. for a phone like this..i'd get the insurance..

Joeriginal

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Im ganna say that it is critical that you have TEP especially if you have a High end phone. When I had TEP with Sprint my first go around with them, I would walk in with the slightest problem with my phone(to a store that handled repairs.) and If within the hour the couldnt fix it to my satisfaction they would hand me a new same model phone, and if they dont have any on hand they express ship it to pick up. This is much nicer than having to deal with any Manufacturer, or Third party insurance, which would leave you without a phone for days if not a week, and charge you a deductible even in some cases, which I paid $150.00 at tmobile.

DocPeanut

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I definitely think TEP is worth it, however I have never had the sprint repair store hand me a phone on the spot. It's always the same story "we have to order a replacement", it stinks because it takes 1-2 days, but what can you do.

LipGloss712

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i am definitely getting the insurance because as much as i take care of my phone, it can still glitch out. i have had to replace my G1 about 10 times or more. i had problems from the screen being unresponsive to certain keys not working as good anymore.

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I've had TEP (and whatever Sprint called it previously) for years. I don't think I've ever had a smartphone that I didn't get replaced in store or through Ausiron for one reason or another. While it's $84 a year for the premiums and a $100 deductible if you have to go through Asurion, it's better than ponying up $450 for a new phone if something happens.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to get the insurance for a while at least. I generally don't have any problems with physical damage to my phones so haven't really needed it once I have confidence that the phone will be reliable.

The big difference with the EVO for me is that it's going to end up in the hands of others who might not be so cautious as I'm sure my friends and family are going to want to play with it. Plus with that big screen in my pocket I'm a little worried about damage there.

We'll see how it goes for several months and then I'll make the decision to drop it or not. I'm also buying the phone with my amex card so that gives me extra protection.

kudosmog

May 19, 2010
Visit site
This is the first phone I'm actually considering getting the insurance for.
If I get insurance on it, hopefully I can just keep the insurance for the first year and cancel it at any time. Then I can do current device cost/insurance payment ratios to see if I want to keep it going or not.

gol706

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
As with all insurance it's a gamble and you have to weight your own personal risk reward. That said, the TEP never seemed worth it for me. First off the phones come with a 1 year warranty against manufacturer defect. And while Sprint will try and make the swap easier if you have the TEP, they will still handle ordering a new phone for you if you don't have TEP. Though I didn't appreciate the comment I got once about how "I don't know why anyone would be dumb enough to have a smartphone without insurance". Also if you have a smartphone dataplan, you are going to get the Sprint Premiere so after the 1 year warranty is up you can just get another phone at the new customer prices. Finally if you use an Amex or a Platinum Visa/MC you get a free extended warranty and 90 days accidental damage coverage through them. So at the end of the day the only thing the TEP covers that I'm not covered on elsewhere is the 10 months of accidental damage coverage, and if I break the phone that way I'll just suck it up and pay the $450 for a new one or switch back to my Pre till I'm up for another Premiere benefit. I'm actually surprised the off contract price for this phone is that low as well.

emeraldayotte

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
First question is that correct will the insurance be offered on the evo?

2. do you plan to get the insurance on the phone?

and third question I should probably start a new poll for this but If I don't want to get a screen protector and or even a case just because I want to enjoy the phone in it's bare nature is the $7 insurance a month a must?

1. Yes...it's just the standard insurance which applies to all smartphones. If you have to pay the deductible it'll be $100 and you'll either get a refurb or something comparable.

2. I've had insurance on all phones and don't see it changing when I get the Evo

3. I believe the answer to this is yes so that if there is any damage (outside of what Sprint considers normal wear & tear), you're not stuck with paying full price for a new smartphone.

emeraldayotte

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
This is the first phone I'm actually considering getting the insurance for.
If I get insurance on it, hopefully I can just keep the insurance for the first year and cancel it at any time. Then I can do current device cost/insurance payment ratios to see if I want to keep it going or not.

The only problem is that you are only given the first 30 days to add insurance. If you cancel the insurance after that, you won't be able to add it back until a new phone is activated.

Bic

May 18, 2010
Visit site
No TEP for me. I'll depend on my MasterCard or AmEx free 3 month (90 day) accidental damage/theft coverage and one-year extended warranty. That leaves only 9 months of careful watching, because after one year, as a premier customer, I can get a new one at $150 off plus any promotionals. The first year of TEP would run $84 + $100 deductible = $184 for a replacement, but by year 2, it's getting to be $84 + $84 +$100=$268 (that plus the $150 discount for premier customers in year 2 = the cost of a new phone. At most, don't take TEP for more than one year if you feel you need the security. Or better yet, put $40 of your own money in a savings account each month and self-insure.

GenericMusings

May 24, 2010
Visit site
If you have the insurance, you probably won't need it. If you DON'T have it, you will almost certainly wish you did have it. Just the way the world seems to work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon