Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

Default Someone with an EVO - Exchange test

I have read conflicting information from several sources on this so I would like someone with an EVO inhand to test it if they dont mind...

Does the exchange calendar sync with the Evo?

Yes it does, flawlessly.
    As well as contacts.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

One more question, I've had problems with Pre in syncing the email subfolders (in fact the subfolders were never synced automatically). Will Evo (or any Android devices) sync Outlook subfolders automatically? Thanks in advance.

I can't see a way to make it automatically sync the other folders, but as soon as you go into one of them it refreshes the contents. So no, you won't get notified of mail arriving into them, but you will be able to see it.

Or there's a setting somewhere I totally missed. But I don't think so.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Can you do a search on your Exchange Mail?

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skunkiechris View Post
    I can't see a way to make it automatically sync the other folders, but as soon as you go into one of them it refreshes the contents. So no, you won't get notified of mail arriving into them, but you will be able to see it.
    Yeah, that's exactly what happens to WebOS devices as well. It looks like there are couple of apps for Android to enable this feature, but not sure if that will work with Evo. We'll see. Thanks for the response.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

mail notifications for sub folders are local settings through rules in Outlook.
    So it makes sense to me that you won't get notifications of items being sent to your subfolders. It'd be interesting to see the 3rd party apps if they can manage to get the notifications to show up.

I did extensive tests with the native exchange active sync and there is now way to get notifications of emails to subfolders. The other big issue is that you have to go to each subfolder and manually refresh to see new emails. This is a big pain. I did test 3rd party app called touchdown and it does do everything that native sync can't do. Good product if you don't mind paying $20. I am hoping Froyo adds this ability.
    Software Engineer

Global Posts
    1,875 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10.1 / Jelly Bean

Yeah... You can't get that functionality on Windows Mobile either. The folders will sync but you don't receive notifications.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

Software Engineer

www.gksmithlcw.com

Stock HTC mail app also doesn't see all sub-folders. Apparently a known issue (don't have a link handy, sorry).
    Banned

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by legacy View Post
    Can you do a search on your Exchange Mail?
    Not mail on the server, yes to mail on the device. You can choose how many days worth of mail you want on the device.

You can do GAL though.

It shows all my subfolders and I have about 1.5gigs of mail in about 15-20 different folders.

Default EVO, a little disappointed

I may be wrong since I just started using my EVO yesterday, but here are the exchange issues I am having. NO, the native Exchange will not sync any subfolders. This is such a primary function of MS Ex that I can't believe the developers would overlook it. I then loaded Touchdown, the 3rd party Exchange app. The $20 was no big deal if it actually ends up working, however, it isn't all that great. The subfolders cannot be view individually, or at least I can't find a way to view them. All subfolders are synced and notifications are recieved, however, the view is just of all the emails without any breakdown by folder. Even the sent items show up in the same folder. Also, you can only retrieve a maximum of 3 days of email. As a business owner I have all my emails running through rules in Outlook to various subfolders and like to keep at least 30 days of my history, to include sent items. When I view history I want to go to the subfolder and scroll through, noy have to sort through all the emails in Outlook.

If I am wrong about any of this someone let me know before I return my EVO. I need a business PDA, not a Toy.

Thanks,

The htc mail app on my Evo syncs subfolders. Not until I open them, but it does sync them, including my sent folder. And I can view them individually. I can even see nested subfolders. You can specify the app to save up to 30 days worth of email on the phone, or "All". I can't imagine how much memory "All" would use up, though. I have no real issue with EAS.

I do think the htc calendar sucks, but that should be remedied later this year.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3