MicroUSB to Composite TV Out for EVO?

apexi350z

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Found this link Incredible TV out video demo | DroidDog Android Blog which showcase HTC Incredible connected to tv, via MicroUSB to composite video cable. This is so cool! You are not limited with just display movies (like HDMI), but also able to display the whole desktop!

This is something most of us are wishing for, to be able to browse on tv, and use bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

Will this work for EVO? Is it even possible since EVO already have HDMI out, and HTC probably didn't need another tv out?

Last edited:

bdarknessb

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Very interesting, This can be a great feature, since the HDMI output on the EVO, only does output for videos, and maybe photos too? Does anyone know if you would be able to display flash video, (when it is available on the EVO) through HDMI?

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Nice... I was hoping for something that can output the video via Composites because most hotels still use old CRT TV's with no HDMI inputs, just composites.

legacy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Doubt that cable will work with the Evo. HDMI output is digital. Composite is analog. There are digital to analog boxes, but they're big (and fairly expensive)

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have posted about this many times too. I have an HTC Touch Pro 2 that does the same thing (composite video out via USB displays the whole device, not just videos) and had a Touch Pro 1 that did it with the same cable before that.

I actually expect the Evo to wotk the same as the Incredible with the Incredible's video cable.

hdtvjeff

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I have the HTC TP2 and enjoy going from Micro USB to the inputs on my nav system so i can watch and hear YouTube any anything else mirrored from my phone.

I love the new EVO4G but it's a dealbreaker if somehow i can't go from Mini HDMI to RCA AV

And from what i gather here, even micro USB to AV out wont work either.
So, give up on it as of now?
Jeff

cyberbec#AC

May 28, 2010
Visit site
It would be awesome if a MicroUSB->Composite cable would work on the Evo.

We could then watch Slingbox on the in-car entertainment screen (since it has A/V inputs) :cool:

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually shocked at how many people complain about lack of composite. Composite is like... 30 years old, folks. Time to upgrade your TVs.

The problem is that at times you don't have a choice of what you're hooking it to. I'm not going to drag a TV around with me everywhere. At work our projectors are mostly composite input.

For me personally, I was planning to use it with the Microvision ShowWX projector but they only accept composite input with their current model. They are planning an HDMI version in the future. This is a brand new device and they chose composite for some reason.

At least my Kodak PlaySport video camera has both HDMI and composite output.

springsyeti

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that at times you don't have a choice of what you're hooking it to. I'm not going to drag a TV around with me everywhere. At work our projectors are mostly composite input.

For me personally, I was planning to use it with the Microvision ShowWX projector but they only accept composite input with their current model. They are planning an HDMI version in the future. This is a brand new device and they chose composite for some reason.

At least my Kodak PlaySport video camera has both HDMI and composite output.

A vast majority of projectors (aside from yours) also have a VGA in because they are primarily used w/ laptops or computers. This is a digital signal and does not need coversion so you just need a HDMI to VGA adapter, no hauling of tv's needed..

I tried talking my wife into getting a new TV because Apple only has digital out on my new Macbook pro, no luck.. Everything is going digital. I may have to 'accidentally' spill a glass of water into the TV to force a purchase.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
A vast majority of projectors (aside from yours) also have a VGA in because they are primarily used w/ laptops or computers. This is a digital signal and does not need coversion so you just need a HDMI to VGA adapter, no hauling of tv's needed..

VGA is NOT a digital signal. It is analog, and you CANNOT go straight from HDMI to VGA. It requires a box adapter which is capable of converting digital to analog. (They're pricey, bulky and I believe they even require their own power source)

Common confusion arises from DVI to VGA (And DVI's typical compatibility with HDMI), which IS possible. The reason DVI can be turned into VGA via a simple adapter is due to the way DVI was designed. DVI-I/DVI-A ports are the ones capable of outputting a VGA signal due to their pinouts. There are versions of DVI that cannot do VGA, such as DVI-D.

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually shocked at how many people complain about lack of composite. Composite is like... 30 years old, folks. Time to upgrade your TVs.

I have three 50+ inch plasmas and LCDs at home and they're all connected to an HTPC. So for me, I will never use the video output feature from my Evo at home. The only time I'll ever use it would be at hotels, which most of them still use old CRT TVs with Composites only.

hdtvjeff

May 29, 2010
Visit site
So the question remains, for those of us that simply want to be able to use the EVO 4g in hotel rooms or sets with non hdmi connections, will micro usb ever support that on this device?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz