Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default MicroUSB to Composite TV Out for EVO?

    Found this link Incredible TV out video demo | DroidDog Android Blog which showcase HTC Incredible connected to tv, via MicroUSB to composite video cable. This is so cool! You are not limited with just display movies (like HDMI), but also able to display the whole desktop!

    This is something most of us are wishing for, to be able to browse on tv, and use bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

    Will this work for EVO? Is it even possible since EVO already have HDMI out, and HTC probably didn't need another tv out?
  2. #2  

    Default

    Very interesting, This can be a great feature, since the HDMI output on the EVO, only does output for videos, and maybe photos too? Does anyone know if you would be able to display flash video, (when it is available on the EVO) through HDMI?
  3. #3  

    Default

    Nice... I was hoping for something that can output the video via Composites because most hotels still use old CRT TV's with no HDMI inputs, just composites.
  4. #4  

    Default

    Nice find. Now we just need to find the cable.
  5. #5  
    legacy's Avatar

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

    Default

    Doubt that cable will work with the Evo. HDMI output is digital. Composite is analog. There are digital to analog boxes, but they're big (and fairly expensive)
  6. #6  

    Default

    I have posted about this many times too. I have an HTC Touch Pro 2 that does the same thing (composite video out via USB displays the whole device, not just videos) and had a Touch Pro 1 that did it with the same cable before that.

    I actually expect the Evo to wotk the same as the Incredible with the Incredible's video cable.
  7. #7  
    legacy's Avatar

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    I actually expect the Evo to wotk the same as the Incredible with the Incredible's video cable.
    Guys that have the phone now are reporting that it doesn't.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by legacy View Post
    Doubt that cable will work with the Evo. HDMI output is digital. Composite is analog. There are digital to analog boxes, but they're big (and fairly expensive)
    The OP stated that is used the phones MicroUSB not the HDMI.
  9. #9  

    Default

    I have the HTC TP2 and enjoy going from Micro USB to the inputs on my nav system so i can watch and hear YouTube any anything else mirrored from my phone.

    I love the new EVO4G but it's a dealbreaker if somehow i can't go from Mini HDMI to RCA AV

    And from what i gather here, even micro USB to AV out wont work either.
    So, give up on it as of now?
    Jeff
  10. #10  

    Default

    It would be awesome if a MicroUSB->Composite cable would work on the Evo.

    We could then watch Slingbox on the in-car entertainment screen (since it has A/V inputs)
  11. #11  

    Default

    I'm actually shocked at how many people complain about lack of composite. Composite is like... 30 years old, folks. Time to upgrade your TVs.
  12. #12  

    Default

    I'm not talking about outputting to a TV, simply to my car's NAV which only has RCA A/V in NOT an HDMI input
  13. #13  
    NicksGarage's Avatar

    Posts
    750 Posts
    Global Posts
    922 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Law View Post
    I'm actually shocked at how many people complain about lack of composite. Composite is like... 30 years old, folks. Time to upgrade your TVs.
    The problem is that at times you don't have a choice of what you're hooking it to. I'm not going to drag a TV around with me everywhere. At work our projectors are mostly composite input.

    For me personally, I was planning to use it with the Microvision ShowWX projector but they only accept composite input with their current model. They are planning an HDMI version in the future. This is a brand new device and they chose composite for some reason.

    At least my Kodak PlaySport video camera has both HDMI and composite output.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + Nexus 9 + G Watch R
  14. #14  

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    The problem is that at times you don't have a choice of what you're hooking it to. I'm not going to drag a TV around with me everywhere. At work our projectors are mostly composite input.

    For me personally, I was planning to use it with the Microvision ShowWX projector but they only accept composite input with their current model. They are planning an HDMI version in the future. This is a brand new device and they chose composite for some reason.

    At least my Kodak PlaySport video camera has both HDMI and composite output.
    A vast majority of projectors (aside from yours) also have a VGA in because they are primarily used w/ laptops or computers. This is a digital signal and does not need coversion so you just need a HDMI to VGA adapter, no hauling of tv's needed..

    I tried talking my wife into getting a new TV because Apple only has digital out on my new Macbook pro, no luck.. Everything is going digital. I may have to 'accidentally' spill a glass of water into the TV to force a purchase.
  15. #15  
    optimus's Avatar

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

    Default

    bumpedy.. bump.. bump..
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by springsyeti View Post
    A vast majority of projectors (aside from yours) also have a VGA in because they are primarily used w/ laptops or computers. This is a digital signal and does not need coversion so you just need a HDMI to VGA adapter, no hauling of tv's needed..
    VGA is NOT a digital signal. It is analog, and you CANNOT go straight from HDMI to VGA. It requires a box adapter which is capable of converting digital to analog. (They're pricey, bulky and I believe they even require their own power source)

    Common confusion arises from DVI to VGA (And DVI's typical compatibility with HDMI), which IS possible. The reason DVI can be turned into VGA via a simple adapter is due to the way DVI was designed. DVI-I/DVI-A ports are the ones capable of outputting a VGA signal due to their pinouts. There are versions of DVI that cannot do VGA, such as DVI-D.
  17. #17  

    Default

    Oops.. eggo on my faceo.. I am on my way to kill the salesman!
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Law View Post
    I'm actually shocked at how many people complain about lack of composite. Composite is like... 30 years old, folks. Time to upgrade your TVs.
    I have three 50+ inch plasmas and LCDs at home and they're all connected to an HTPC. So for me, I will never use the video output feature from my Evo at home. The only time I'll ever use it would be at hotels, which most of them still use old CRT TVs with Composites only.
  19. #19  

    Default

    So the question remains, for those of us that simply want to be able to use the EVO 4g in hotel rooms or sets with non hdmi connections, will micro usb ever support that on this device?
  20. #20  
    optimus's Avatar

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

    Default

    Posted on AndroidForums:

    USB video out? - Android Forums
  21. #21  

    Default

    HTC TP1/2 allow video out put with proper cabling from the micro usb connector. This video output allows connections to A/V devices which have RCA inputs
    Whether the ECO 4g will allow this remains undetermined from all info I have gone through.

    If it does count me in on buying it, if not, NO.
  22. #22  

    Default

    does this work with the tmobile g2

Posting Permissions