Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will be my first smartphone with no physical keyboard

Its funny because I said I would never even think of getting an iphone, because it has no physical keyboard. (but on top of that i just dont like apple)

How hard is it to transition from physical keyboard of several many years to now just typing on glass?

I just figure if all these millions of iphone users can type with it, i guess i will learn to. I can only guess tho that my error rate will be higher than with a physical keyboard.

I have a palm pre now and for kicks i installed the virtual keyboard(on screen keyboard). Man i get super duper spelling errors using that!!

Seeing as how your error rate on what I can only assume to be a real computer with a physical keyboard is pretty bad I'd suggest sticking with the pre.

Realistically, to get VERY GOOD at typing and not just average or above average. 2-3 months.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by daneUryZzl View Post
    Seeing as how your error rate on what I can only assume to be a real computer with a physical keyboard is pretty bad I'd suggest sticking with the pre.
    bite me

I think I spelled that correctly

And not sure how you can correlate a full size desktop keyboard with a mini phone keyboard that you type with one thumb/finger at a time either. Apples and Oranges buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MDbandit View Post
    bite me

I think I spelled that correctly
    Lmao. Yes you did sir!

Classic!

Just playing around man. Mellow out.

Last month I finally ditched my LG Lotus (with a tiny Pre like keyboard that was absolutely perfect) for a Samsung Moment. If you have any experience with that piece of crap you'll be well familiar with the terrible keyboard. I switched to the on-screen keyboard only after a week of trying to familiarize myself with that terrible keyboard. Landscape mode FTW, Portrait mode was almost useless. After a few weeks of that It was very easy, faster than with my Lotus if you account for the word suggestions.

I brought the turd back and pre-ordered my Evo. With the HTC keyboard and a much (much) larger screen I can only imagine that it will be even better and even easier.

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by daneUryZzl View Post

lol. You're bad.
    Anyway, I agree with the OP as this is a concern of mine as well...

I have Touch Pro2 and i've been using the on screen keyboard to type in preparing for usage with the EVO and i can say it sucks! Hopefully the increased screen size and the EVO's multi-touch capabilities will help but the 3.6-3.7" of the TP2 is quite big already. Typing in portrait mode makes me crimp my thumb so much already. I've already started a "phone fund" to save up for a possible EVO-like phone with a physical keyboard, once that comes out i'mi jumping ship but we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by OlDeST View Post
    lol. You're bad.
    Anyway, I agree with the OP as this is a concern of mine as well...

Before I got the Moment it was a concern of mine as well. I went to the Sprint store with the intention of getting the Hero, on the advice of many satisfied friends. When I got there I just couldn't stand the idea of a phone with no 'real' keyboard.

I have no such concerns anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MDbandit View Post
    Its funny because I said I would never even think of getting an iphone, because it has no physical keyboard. (but on top of that i just dont like apple)

How hard is it to transition from physical keyboard of several many years to now just typing on glass?

I just figure if all these millions of iphone users can type with it, i guess i will learn to. I can only guess tho that my error rate will be higher than with a physical keyboard.

I have a palm pre now and for kicks i installed the virtual keyboard(on screen keyboard). Man i get super duper spelling errors using that!!
    That keyboard is NOT reflective of what an on-screen HTC keyboard is. I suggest when you get the phone you type out something kind of long... I copied a poem my hubby wrote into my phone so I could keep a digital copy of it... But something that you have to type letter for letter. One "practice" run like that and you will be a pro on the new keyboard.

I was actually faster and more accurate on the HTC onscreen keyboards than the Pres physical one.

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

I used to have the TouchPro and a Redfly. It was great for the weekly staff meeting I had to attend for work. Any chance you could connect the Evo to a bluetooth key board? With the kickstand it would work great.

you'll get a hang of it when you get used to the virtual keyboard

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Various

I can still type faster on my Pre's keyboard than I can on any virtual one. It's nice to have some sort of tactile feedback on it. You'll get used to it though.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

I have a BB 8330, love the keyboard and can type fast without looking. I'll gladly take the reduction in speed for the capabilities of the EVO. The 8330 can barely handle sending texts at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkyman View Post
    I have a BB 8330, love the keyboard and can type fast without looking. I'll gladly take the reduction in speed for the capabilities of the EVO. The 8330 can barely handle sending texts at this point.
    lol, thought I was the only one!

I'm swapping out a Treo 680 for the EVO, I know it's a dinosaur but the sweet keyboard will be missed.

My thought is using the speech-to-text will replace the need to key texts or browser searches, is that practical with Android or have I been reading too many google press releases?

The closest thing you can try to match the Evo keyboard is with an Incredible or HD2.

Using a TP2 is in NO WAY a comparison. Simply because it's not the same layout and it's on a resistive screen. The HD2 has the size but not layout (WinMo / Android Sense KB's differ); while the Incredible isn't the same size, it has the same layout / processor. Using a Hero is kind of a bad choice too... the processor isn't that great and therefore makes the keyboard lag at times.

Global Posts
    446 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Absinthe JB 5.1.1

I went from a BB 8330 to the Hero. It's not too difficult transitioning from a physical KB to virtual but, I will say that I used to fly on the BB keyboard. After having the Hero now for 6 months now, I can blaze through texts (although, not as fast as I ever could on the BB). The predictive text feature on the HTC phones helps too. In the end, I still think that a physical KB has it's advantages over virtual, but I wouldn't worry about it (and I dunno how you Pre folks can use that physical keyboard on that thing... when I tested it on launch day... my hands cramped up after typing one sentence ).

As with any kinda of a jump like that I would assume a "learning curve". Id say go for it, change is good!